95 or 98? What should I do?

A friend of mine was given an old Compaq Presario 4540. It's 233 Mhz with
32 Mb of Ram. 48 Mb is the highest it will go. I have already ordered the
extra memory. The original owner reinstalled its original configuration
with the restore CD.
My friend wants it primarily for QuickBooks (she owns a small bar). But she
also wants it set up for internet to have email and do a little browsing.
My main concern is security. My understanding is that 5.something is as
high as you can go with Internet Explorer in Windows 95. In this day and
age of viruses and spyware on the rampage, can I set this computer up with
Windows 95 for her and provide any kind of decent protection for it?
I have already upgraded it to 98 but I'm having second thoughts. Mainly
because 48 Mb of ram isn't really enough for Windows 98.
I *think* there's still antivirus apps around that are compatible with
Windows 95, but I don't think the latest versions of AdAware or Spybot are
compatible. And maybe Netscape 4.7 would be safer than IE.
So do I restore it back to Windows 95 and take a chance or go with 98 with
the hopes that 48 Mb of ram can handle it?
Your suggestions will be appreciated!

--
-- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --
8 answers Last reply

    48 Megs is enough to make 98 run (actually walk, not run). The performance
    will not be great, but 98SE is a far better OS than 95 for what you friend
    wants to do. AVG Free (www.grisoft.com) will work as a good antivirus
    program. Ad-Aware SE will work and you can install Firefox and Thunderbird
    as a browser and email program. Sygate would also be a good firewall
    program.

    "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    >A friend of mine was given an old Compaq Presario 4540. It's 233 Mhz with
    > 32 Mb of Ram. 48 Mb is the highest it will go. I have already ordered the
    > extra memory. The original owner reinstalled its original configuration
    > with the restore CD.
    > My friend wants it primarily for QuickBooks (she owns a small bar). But
    > she
    > also wants it set up for internet to have email and do a little browsing.
    > My main concern is security. My understanding is that 5.something is as
    > high as you can go with Internet Explorer in Windows 95. In this day and
    > age of viruses and spyware on the rampage, can I set this computer up with
    > Windows 95 for her and provide any kind of decent protection for it?
    > I have already upgraded it to 98 but I'm having second thoughts. Mainly
    > because 48 Mb of ram isn't really enough for Windows 98.
    > I *think* there's still antivirus apps around that are compatible with
    > Windows 95, but I don't think the latest versions of AdAware or Spybot are
    > compatible. And maybe Netscape 4.7 would be safer than IE.
    > So do I restore it back to Windows 95 and take a chance or go with 98 with
    > the hopes that 48 Mb of ram can handle it?
    > Your suggestions will be appreciated!
    >
    > --
    > -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --

    Thanks. I was kind of leaning that way anyway. She's never had a computer
    before so whatever speed it runs she'll probably just think is normal..
    :-)

    --
    -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Well, I've installed everything... Quickbooks, Grisoft, Zone Alarm and
    other such necessities as Acrobat Reader. And it won't hardly move! I
    disabled Norton and Grisoft in the startup group. And it still takes a
    web page forever to load. I put a network card in it while I'm working on
    it and have it hooked to my T1 (thru a router), so it can't be blamed on
    a lousy connection. BUT... I don't have the extra 16 Mb of ram yet.
    Maybe, just maybe, that will cure it somewhat. It's only a 3 gig drive
    but there's only a little over a gig on it so far. If the memory doesn't
    do it, then I guess it's back to Windows 95. I'd really like to talk her
    in to getting a little newer computer.

    --
    -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Menno Hershberger wrote on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 05:38:10 GMT:

    > A friend of mine was given an old Compaq Presario 4540. It's 233 Mhz
    > with 32 Mb of Ram. 48 Mb is the highest it will go. I have already
    > ordered the extra memory. The original owner reinstalled its original
    > configuration with the restore CD.
    > My friend wants it primarily for QuickBooks (she owns a small bar).
    > But she also wants it set up for internet to have email and do a
    > little browsing. My main concern is security. My understanding is that
    > 5.something is as high as you can go with Internet Explorer in Windows
    > 95. In this day and age of viruses and spyware on the rampage, can I
    > set this computer up with Windows 95 for her and provide any kind of
    > decent protection for it? I have already upgraded it to 98 but I'm
    > having second thoughts. Mainly because 48 Mb of ram isn't really
    > enough for Windows 98. I *think* there's still antivirus apps around
    > that are compatible with Windows 95, but I don't think the latest
    > versions of AdAware or Spybot are compatible. And maybe Netscape 4.7
    > would be safer than IE. So do I restore it back to Windows 95 and take
    > a chance or go with 98 with the hopes that 48 Mb of ram can handle it?
    > Your suggestions will be appreciated!

    I've been running Netscape 4.8 successfully on this win95 machine for the
    past couple of years. However, recently 4.8 has refused to read several
    sites and I've had to open IE 5.5 to read them.

    Based on this, I would say Netscape 4.x is obsolete because the html
    standards have changed over the years. Basic Netscape 4 implementation is
    10 years old.

    --
    Rob

    £¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Rob" <rowens@earth.net.au> wrote in message
    > Menno Hershberger wrote on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 05:38:10 GMT:
    >
    > > A friend of mine was given an old Compaq Presario 4540. It's 233 Mhz
    > > with 32 Mb of Ram. 48 Mb is the highest it will go. I have already
    > > ordered the extra memory. The original owner reinstalled its original
    > > configuration with the restore CD.
    > > My friend wants it primarily for QuickBooks (she owns a small bar).
    > > But she also wants it set up for internet to have email and do a
    > > little browsing. My main concern is security. My understanding is that
    > > 5.something is as high as you can go with Internet Explorer in Windows
    > > 95. In this day and age of viruses and spyware on the rampage, can I
    > > set this computer up with Windows 95 for her and provide any kind of
    > > decent protection for it? I have already upgraded it to 98 but I'm
    > > having second thoughts. Mainly because 48 Mb of ram isn't really
    > > enough for Windows 98. I *think* there's still antivirus apps around
    > > that are compatible with Windows 95, but I don't think the latest
    > > versions of AdAware or Spybot are compatible. And maybe Netscape 4.7
    > > would be safer than IE. So do I restore it back to Windows 95 and take
    > > a chance or go with 98 with the hopes that 48 Mb of ram can handle it?
    > > Your suggestions will be appreciated!
    > >

    > I've been running Netscape 4.8 successfully on this win95 machine for the
    > past couple of years. However, recently 4.8 has refused to read several
    > sites and I've had to open IE 5.5 to read them.
    >
    > Based on this, I would say Netscape 4.x is obsolete because the html
    > standards have changed over the years. Basic Netscape 4 implementation is
    > 10 years old.
    >
    > --
    > Rob
    >

    > £¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£
    The latest version of Mozilla (similar to Netscape) should work even though
    it says 64 MB RAM
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
    under advanced preferences you can get it to load at startup which means it
    starts faster. The latest version of Spybot does work under W95, most people
    have trouble with AdAware SE but v.6 still works.

    Will
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    What on earth is *anything* from Norton/Symantec doing on that machine in the first
    place?! Norton products will slow a fast computer down...this machine should not
    have any Symantec apps installed.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Well, I've installed everything... Quickbooks, Grisoft, Zone Alarm and
    > other such necessities as Acrobat Reader. And it won't hardly move! I
    > disabled Norton and Grisoft in the startup group. And it still takes a
    > web page forever to load. I put a network card in it while I'm working on
    > it and have it hooked to my T1 (thru a router), so it can't be blamed on
    > a lousy connection. BUT... I don't have the extra 16 Mb of ram yet.
    > Maybe, just maybe, that will cure it somewhat. It's only a 3 gig drive
    > but there's only a little over a gig on it so far. If the memory doesn't
    > do it, then I guess it's back to Windows 95. I'd really like to talk her
    > in to getting a little newer computer.
    >
    > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in
    >
    > > 48 Megs is enough to make 98 run (actually walk, not run). The
    > > performance will not be great, but 98SE is a far better OS than 95 for
    > > what you friend wants to do. AVG Free (www.grisoft.com) will work as
    > > a good antivirus program. Ad-Aware SE will work and you can install
    > > Firefox and Thunderbird as a browser and email program. Sygate would
    > > also be a good firewall program.
    > >
    > > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > >>A friend of mine was given an old Compaq Presario 4540. It's 233 Mhz
    > >>with
    > >> 32 Mb of Ram. 48 Mb is the highest it will go. I have already
    > >> ordered the extra memory. The original owner reinstalled its original
    > >> configuration with the restore CD.
    > >> My friend wants it primarily for QuickBooks (she owns a small bar).
    > >> But she
    > >> also wants it set up for internet to have email and do a little
    > >> browsing. My main concern is security. My understanding is that
    > >> 5.something is as high as you can go with Internet Explorer in
    > >> Windows 95. In this day and age of viruses and spyware on the
    > >> rampage, can I set this computer up with Windows 95 for her and
    > >> provide any kind of decent protection for it? I have already upgraded
    > >> it to 98 but I'm having second thoughts. Mainly because 48 Mb of ram
    > >> isn't really enough for Windows 98. I *think* there's still antivirus
    > >> apps around that are compatible with Windows 95, but I don't think
    > >> the latest versions of AdAware or Spybot are compatible. And maybe
    > >> Netscape 4.7 would be safer than IE. So do I restore it back to
    > >> Windows 95 and take a chance or go with 98 with the hopes that 48 Mb
    > >> of ram can handle it? Your suggestions will be appreciated!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy.
    > >> --
    > >

    > --
    > -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I hope you didn't order 16 MB of RAM. The 4540 has 16MB RAM integrated on the
    motherboard, and one memory slot which can take up to one 32MB stick. If she has a
    total of 32MB of RAM showing as installed, she has a 16MB stick in the only slot.
    You need to remove that stick and replace it with a 32MB stick.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > Well, I've installed everything... Quickbooks, Grisoft, Zone Alarm and
    > other such necessities as Acrobat Reader. And it won't hardly move! I
    > disabled Norton and Grisoft in the startup group. And it still takes a
    > web page forever to load. I put a network card in it while I'm working on
    > it and have it hooked to my T1 (thru a router), so it can't be blamed on
    > a lousy connection. BUT... I don't have the extra 16 Mb of ram yet.
    > Maybe, just maybe, that will cure it somewhat. It's only a 3 gig drive
    > but there's only a little over a gig on it so far. If the memory doesn't
    > do it, then I guess it's back to Windows 95. I'd really like to talk her
    > in to getting a little newer computer.
    >
    > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in
    >
    > > 48 Megs is enough to make 98 run (actually walk, not run). The
    > > performance will not be great, but 98SE is a far better OS than 95 for
    > > what you friend wants to do. AVG Free (www.grisoft.com) will work as
    > > a good antivirus program. Ad-Aware SE will work and you can install
    > > Firefox and Thunderbird as a browser and email program. Sygate would
    > > also be a good firewall program.
    > >
    > > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > >>A friend of mine was given an old Compaq Presario 4540. It's 233 Mhz
    > >>with
    > >> 32 Mb of Ram. 48 Mb is the highest it will go. I have already
    > >> ordered the extra memory. The original owner reinstalled its original
    > >> configuration with the restore CD.
    > >> My friend wants it primarily for QuickBooks (she owns a small bar).
    > >> But she
    > >> also wants it set up for internet to have email and do a little
    > >> browsing. My main concern is security. My understanding is that
    > >> 5.something is as high as you can go with Internet Explorer in
    > >> Windows 95. In this day and age of viruses and spyware on the
    > >> rampage, can I set this computer up with Windows 95 for her and
    > >> provide any kind of decent protection for it? I have already upgraded
    > >> it to 98 but I'm having second thoughts. Mainly because 48 Mb of ram
    > >> isn't really enough for Windows 98. I *think* there's still antivirus
    > >> apps around that are compatible with Windows 95, but I don't think
    > >> the latest versions of AdAware or Spybot are compatible. And maybe
    > >> Netscape 4.7 would be safer than IE. So do I restore it back to
    > >> Windows 95 and take a chance or go with 98 with the hopes that 48 Mb
    > >> of ram can handle it? Your suggestions will be appreciated!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy.
    > >> --
    > >

    > --
    > -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --
  8. Quote:

    If you started out with windows 95 and went to 98 your quick books needs to be updated as well
    and you should update to 2012 with everything. I have a NEC ready 9532 computer with windows
    95 and quick books. My computer crash two weeks ago and having a hard time trying access the old
    data to finish the 2011 taxes so I need help on this. So that's why I recommend up dating everything.
    and don't use your business computer on the internet. I never use my business computer on the internet
    and it work for 15 years and I didn't know that I should have updated along the years.

    If you have any suggestions for me my email is loubeckerandsonsconstruction@gmail.com

    Thank You

    Lou Becker

[...]

Windows