Data error in windows 95

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 17, 2005 7:36:52 PM

After I ran Disk Scan for correct errors on my Windows 95
system, I cannot reboot the computer.
It starts rebooting, gives the Windows 95 picture screen
and then reads:
Data Error (bad CRC) error in reading drive C
Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

What can I do to fix this?

I can boot the computer in the Safe Mode by pressing F8
when Windows 95 appears on the screen.

I tried to undelete what was in trash. It showed 1400
files and when I went to recover it said the first part
was substituted with a ? and I couldn't recover.

Any suggestions on how to fix the Data Error would be
appreciated.

More about : data error windows

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:42:24 PM

This is a hardware error - the system checked the data that was being read
from disk and it failed the checksum error. If it occurs at startup then
presumably it is trying to load some part of the operating system, but
apparently not something needed for safe mode.. You should boot to DOS or
safe mode and copy off any important files that are on the disk. Then you
need to diagnose and repair the disk. The simplest way to do this is to
install it as a slave drive with another hard disk as primary. Then you can
proceed to test it and recover data without worrying about whether or not
the system is going to keep running. However, it is possible to run the
diagnostics from floppy.

Hardware diagnostics are available at the www site of the disk drive
manufacturer.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)