Data error in windows 95

After I ran Disk Scan for correct errors on my Windows 95
system, I cannot reboot the computer.
It starts rebooting, gives the Windows 95 picture screen
and then reads:
Data Error (bad CRC) error in reading drive C
Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

What can I do to fix this?

I can boot the computer in the Safe Mode by pressing F8
when Windows 95 appears on the screen.

I tried to undelete what was in trash. It showed 1400
files and when I went to recover it said the first part
was substituted with a ? and I couldn't recover.

Any suggestions on how to fix the Data Error would be
appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about data error windows

    This is a hardware error - the system checked the data that was being read
    from disk and it failed the checksum error. If it occurs at startup then
    presumably it is trying to load some part of the operating system, but
    apparently not something needed for safe mode.. You should boot to DOS or
    safe mode and copy off any important files that are on the disk. Then you
    need to diagnose and repair the disk. The simplest way to do this is to
    install it as a slave drive with another hard disk as primary. Then you can
    proceed to test it and recover data without worrying about whether or not
    the system is going to keep running. However, it is possible to run the
    diagnostics from floppy.

    Hardware diagnostics are available at the www site of the disk drive
    manufacturer.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Jewell Waldbaum" <jwaldbaum@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > After I ran Disk Scan for correct errors on my Windows 95
    > system, I cannot reboot the computer.
    > It starts rebooting, gives the Windows 95 picture screen
    > and then reads:
    > Data Error (bad CRC) error in reading drive C
    > Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?
    >
    > What can I do to fix this?
    >
    > I can boot the computer in the Safe Mode by pressing F8
    > when Windows 95 appears on the screen.
    >
    > I tried to undelete what was in trash. It showed 1400
    > files and when I went to recover it said the first part
    > was substituted with a ? and I couldn't recover.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to fix the Data Error would be
    > appreciated.

Computers Windows 95 Microsoft Windows