Help! My programs are closing on open/save dialogs!

No matter what program it is, even built-in Windows programs such as Windows
Explorer, any time I go to open a specific folder or file, or save files, my
programs simply disappear. They close without my telling them to. Sometimes
they display error messages, but mostly they simply blink off. I have tried
scanning for errors, using spyware deletion programs, emptying the IE cache,
emptying the recyle bin, and then rebooting. But nothing helps. Too add to
that problem, my mouse cursor jumps all over the screen sometimes. It's an
optical mouse with the standard two buttons plus wheel. I've tried switching
my mouse pads, thinking perhaps that the pattern was too regular for it to
pick up, as the user's manual warns, but that isn't it. All my connections
are solid, everything's plugged in correctly and in the right spots, but my
problems continue.

I don't know if it matters or not, but my modem got fried about a year ago
by an overload of spyware, and at least one spyware program or virus is
stubbornly keeping my home page at some funky address no matter how many
times I reset my Internet settings. And anytime I close out IE, it sends me
a trailing pop-up. Could this be a contributing factor?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

~Setmoset

I would recommend that you fix whatever problems you can, and see whether
the file saving problem also goes away. Get some proper adware/spyware
programs to completely clean the machine, and replace the optical mouse with
a simple serial ball mouse.
http://aumha.org/secure.htm
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm
--