TS Registry Has a Problem Dialog

This may be a really dumb question.

I have an old timer I use a logging box, and once in a while it pops the RHP
dialog.

Unfortunately, W95 doesn't give any other clues as to just what the problem
is, and due to it's infrequent nature I haven't been having a lot of luck
tracking it down.

Any thoughts?

Alinator
7 answers Last reply
More about registry problem dialog

    I haven't seen this particular problem, but there is a good description of
    the RHP dialog here (you have to hunt back and forth through the tutorial),
    although what it has to do with logging I don't understand.
    http://www.whiterockscience.com/moritz/surf_body.html
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > I haven't seen this particular problem, but there is a good description of
    > the RHP dialog here (you have to hunt back and forth through the
    tutorial),
    > although what it has to do with logging I don't understand.
    > http://www.whiterockscience.com/moritz/surf_body.html
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    All I meant was this box is used for logging purposes, and only has a few
    usually well behaved utilites installed and not the typical hodgepodge of
    apps on board.

    I think I've narrowed it down to some kind of interaction between Kiwi
    syslog and W95, but the strange thing is on it's "twin" this doesn't happen!

    I've got Sysinternals Regmon running on it now, but of course it has chosen
    to behave itself for the time being. ;-)

    Thanks for the link, I'll root around there to see if I can get some further
    insight into what's going on.

    Alinator
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Alinator" <no-twpi-junk@att.net> wrote in message
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > > I haven't seen this particular problem, but there is a good description
    of
    > > the RHP dialog here (you have to hunt back and forth through the
    > tutorial),
    <snip>

    I think you misunderstood me.

    RHP = Win 95's "Registry Has a Problem" dialog box in this case.

    I poked around on the link you gave me and didn't find any references to
    registry troubleshooting.

    Alinator
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    So are you saying that the RHP dialog you are seeing is not the one you use
    to manipulate the properties of a right hexagonal prism drawing surface?
    What is the exact wording that appears in this dialog?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    > "Alinator" <no-twpi-junk@att.net> wrote in message
    >> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> > I haven't seen this particular problem, but there is a good description
    > of
    >> > the RHP dialog here (you have to hunt back and forth through the
    >> tutorial),
    > <snip>
    >
    > I think you misunderstood me.
    >
    > RHP = Win 95's "Registry Has a Problem" dialog box in this case.
    >
    > I poked around on the link you gave me and didn't find any references to
    > registry troubleshooting.
    >
    > Alinator

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > So are you saying that the RHP dialog you are seeing is not the one you
    use
    > to manipulate the properties of a right hexagonal prism drawing surface?
    > What is the exact wording that appears in this dialog?
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    Sorry for the confusion, I'm not even running that software package.

    Basically I'm using this machine to monitor and record log messages on my
    LAN. I think it's related to Kiwi Syslog, but am not 100% sure.

    The problem is every so often 95 pops up a dialog box (during a long uptime
    run)saying a problem has been encountered with the registry, and the only
    option is a "Restart Windows" button. Interestingly, everything seems to
    continue to function normally (except I can't close the bloody dialog).

    I'm in the process of a step by step test of each utility I use on this
    machine, after performing a clean reinstall and patch of 95.

    It's just I had never seen this dialog before (except for a corrupt registry
    at boot), and the subsequent reboot is normal with no errors.

    I was just looking to see if anyone might have some tips about likely causes
    to investigate, since 95 is being pretty tight lipped about what the exact
    problem is.

    Alinator
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If the dialog box refers to the Windows registry and not the TS registry,
    then the most likely cause by far is a RAM problem, Windows is continually
    examining and testing the registry, and an error in RAM will create exactly
    the message you are seeing. Actually, I guess it would be the same for the
    TS registry as well. The fact that it occurs randomly supports this, as does
    the ability to re-boot OK. The dialogue locking while the application itself
    continues to run OK is also consistent with a RAM problem.

    The usual fix for an intermittent RAM problem is to (carefully) remove and
    re-seat the RAM modules. You might get some diagnostic confirmation by
    re-arranging things, such as what software applications you run or the order
    in which they load. If the problem changes but occurs with about the same
    frequency, this suggests RAM. Has the operating environment recently warmed
    up, or is the problem evident on warm days? A RAM diagnostic will also
    often help.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> So are you saying that the RHP dialog you are seeing is not the one you
    > use
    >> to manipulate the properties of a right hexagonal prism drawing surface?
    >> What is the exact wording that appears in this dialog?
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion, I'm not even running that software package.
    >
    > Basically I'm using this machine to monitor and record log messages on my
    > LAN. I think it's related to Kiwi Syslog, but am not 100% sure.
    >
    > The problem is every so often 95 pops up a dialog box (during a long
    > uptime
    > run)saying a problem has been encountered with the registry, and the only
    > option is a "Restart Windows" button. Interestingly, everything seems to
    > continue to function normally (except I can't close the bloody dialog).
    >
    > I'm in the process of a step by step test of each utility I use on this
    > machine, after performing a clean reinstall and patch of 95.
    >
    > It's just I had never seen this dialog before (except for a corrupt
    > registry
    > at boot), and the subsequent reboot is normal with no errors.
    >
    > I was just looking to see if anyone might have some tips about likely
    > causes
    > to investigate, since 95 is being pretty tight lipped about what the exact
    > problem is.
    >
    > Alinator

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > If the dialog box refers to the Windows registry and not the TS registry,
    > then the most likely cause by far is a RAM problem, Windows is
    continually
    > examining and testing the registry, and an error in RAM will create
    exactly
    > the message you are seeing. Actually, I guess it would be the same for
    the
    > TS registry as well. The fact that it occurs randomly supports this, as
    does
    > the ability to re-boot OK. The dialogue locking while the application
    itself
    > continues to run OK is also consistent with a RAM problem.
    >
    > The usual fix for an intermittent RAM problem is to (carefully) remove and
    > re-seat the RAM modules. You might get some diagnostic confirmation by
    > re-arranging things, such as what software applications you run or the
    order
    > in which they load. If the problem changes but occurs with about the same
    > frequency, this suggests RAM. Has the operating environment recently
    warmed
    > up, or is the problem evident on warm days? A RAM diagnostic will also
    > often help.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    <snip>

    Jeff,

    Thanks for your input.

    The concensus overall, is this is looking to be a hardware related issue. So
    I've set the machine up with my logging voltmeter on the PS, cleaned and
    reseat the RAM sticks, and am doing a long term RAM diagnostic run.

    Contrary to what a lot of people believe, things do happen in Windows due to
    cause and effect relationships, after if you take the time you can track it
    down. :-)

    Alinator

Registry Dialog Microsoft Windows