dos compatibility mode -- drive "a"

hi,
windows 95B; ibm aptiva
likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after going
through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
compatibility mode".
dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
the bios errors (double beep)
1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
bios)
2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)
any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated
thank you in advance
32 answers Last reply
More about compatibility mode drive

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > windows 95B; ibm aptiva
    > likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after going
    > through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
    > compatibility mode".
    > dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
    > is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
    > the bios errors (double beep)
    > 1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
    > bios)
    > 2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)
    > any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated
    > thank you in advance

    did you "enable " the device in deivce manager then reboot to see if problem
    persists

    Haggis wrote:

    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > > windows 95B; ibm aptiva
    > > likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after going
    > > through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
    > > compatibility mode".
    > > dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
    > > is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
    > > the bios errors (double beep)
    > > 1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
    > > bios)
    > > 2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)
    > > any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated
    > > thank you in advance
    > >

    > did you "enable " the device in deivce manager then reboot to see if problem
    > persists

    thank you for replying!
    i don't know what you mean -- there is no option -- all is has is "disable in
    this hardware profile" -- which is NOT checked.
    also there is nothing listed under resource usage (offers to have it set
    manually)

    i REALLY appreciate your responding!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    p.s. i do not understand why the drive refers to dos-compatibility mode when
    there is no diskette in the drive?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Your description is quite hard to follow.

    When you boot, are you accessing BIOS setup and checking that the floppy
    drive is enabled and correctly identified? Do you then save these settings?

    When the Windows desktop appears., there's a message about the A: drive.
    Can you quote this message exactly (I don't recall any message that can
    appear at this point that refers to DOS compatibility mode).

    Is the disabled message you mention appearing when you look up the device in
    Device Manger? If so, this refers to Windows disabling the device, not
    BIOS. However, if it's disabled in BIOS then this can be one reason that
    Windows disables it. There are others. The most common reason for Windows
    disabling the device is that it's not working. Can you prove that it's
    working OK - for instance, can you boot to DOS using a boot floppy, and read
    the contents of the boot floppy (eg, DIR A:)?

    "Device Manager Code 29:

    "This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it any
    resources. (Code 29)

    "You must enable the device in the BIOS. See your hardware documentation for
    details, or contact your computer manufacturer to get an updated BIOS.

    "Solution button: None

    "This code means that the device has been disabled because the device does
    not work properly and cannot be made to work properly with Windows. This
    code may also be present if the device is intentionally disabled in the
    BIOS.

    "You may be able to resolve this error code by enabling or disabling the
    device in the computer's CMOS settings. Windows cannot override this
    setting. Please contact the computer's manufacturer for assistance with
    using the computer's CMOS configuration program."

    The DOS compatibility mode reference is not associated with DOS itself - it
    simply refers to drivers that are loaded using DOS protocols instead of
    Windows protocols. Whether or not there's a disk in the drive makes no
    difference.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > windows 95B; ibm aptiva
    > likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after going
    > through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
    > compatibility mode".
    > dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
    > is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
    > the bios errors (double beep)
    > 1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
    > bios)
    > 2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)
    > any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated
    > thank you in advance

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi Jeff,
    thanks very much for replying!
    [... below...]

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > Your description is quite hard to follow.

    sorry

    > When you boot, are you accessing BIOS setup and checking that the floppy
    > drive is enabled and correctly identified? Do you then save these settings?

    i boot and it does not pass the post... it emits a double beep and the errors
    are:
    "162 Configuration Change has occurred"
    and
    "163 Date and Time Incorrect"
    i HAVE to enter the bios -- it won't pass the screen until i enter and change
    for ex the <CORRECT> time or the <CORRECT> date to an incorrect one and exit.

    > When the Windows desktop appears., there's a message about the A: drive.
    > Can you quote this message exactly (I don't recall any message that can
    > appear at this point that refers to DOS compatibility mode).

    sorry -- the message is in the text box (right-click my computer-> properties ->
    performance tab)
    "Drive A: using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system"

    > Is the disabled message you mention appearing when you look up the device in
    > Device Manger?

    yes in device manager... the "floppy disk controllers" is expanded (i.e. it has
    a negative sign not a plus sign) and there is a yellow splat through Standard
    Floppy disk controller (under it)
    if i high-light it and hit properties i get under "device status" "this device
    has been disabled in the hardware. in order to use this device, you must
    re-enable the hardware. See your hardware documentation for details (code 29)"

    > If so, this refers to Windows disabling the device, not
    > BIOS. However, if it's disabled in BIOS then this can be one reason that
    > Windows disables it.

    it is enabled in the BIOS (1.44" 3.5 floppy)

    > There are others. The most common reason for Windows
    > disabling the device is that it's not working. Can you prove that it's
    > working OK - for instance, can you boot to DOS using a boot floppy, and read
    > the contents of the boot floppy (eg, DIR A:)?

    yes: i created a boot disk today (this problem started last night) and used it
    to boot (it again stopped at the bios but after exiting the bios it booted (to
    the cd-rom or wherever)) i also wrote some wordpad.doc's to a floppy disk and
    read them from the floppy. -- in windows.
    and i just tested the dir a: which shows the correct contents.
    so there is no obvious h/w problem with the floppy --

    > "Device Manager Code 29:
    >
    > "This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it any
    > resources. (Code 29)

    in device manager if i hit properties for the yellow-splatted driver there are
    no resources listed and under "resource settings" is the following:
    "this device isn't using any resources b/c it is not currently enabled or has a
    problem.
    if you want to assign resources manually for this device, set configuration
    manually"
    (i do not know what to put there -- i have not checked the bios for its resource
    settings if there are any)

    > "You must enable the device in the BIOS. See your hardware documentation for
    > details, or contact your computer manufacturer to get an updated BIOS.
    >
    > "Solution button: None
    >
    > "This code means that the device has been disabled because the device does
    > not work properly and cannot be made to work properly with Windows. This
    > code may also be present if the device is intentionally disabled in the
    > BIOS.

    wouldn't it have a red mark through it instead of a yellow??

    also this pc is a "split" system (has the floppy drive and the cd-rom in a media
    console (3rd piece))
    the cable from the console goes to the media console controller card (in a pci
    slot on the motherBoard)
    i know what the resource tab shows in a *normal* (2-piece) pc (windows95B) --
    not sure whether i should copy it

    > "You may be able to resolve this error code by enabling or disabling the
    > device in the computer's CMOS settings. Windows cannot override this
    > setting. Please contact the computer's manufacturer for assistance with
    > using the computer's CMOS configuration program."

    i am W.A.Y. out of warranty

    > The DOS compatibility mode reference is not associated with DOS itself - it
    > simply refers to drivers that are loaded using DOS protocols instead of
    > Windows protocols. Whether or not there's a disk in the drive makes no
    > difference.

    thanks
    the date and time change announcement i think means a dying battery HOWEVER, it
    is keeping time and the date.
    i've changed date and time, saved, exited and gone to windows and restarted and
    it still tells me that the time and date are wrong and states a configuration
    change (and that all cmos settings are wrong)
    also i wonder whether i should upDate drivers (standard floppy disk controller
    properties) with the windows95B cd?

    thanks again for answering
    i am very grateful!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > > windows 95B; ibm aptiva
    > > likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after going
    > > through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
    > > compatibility mode".
    > > dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
    > > is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
    > > the bios errors (double beep)
    > > 1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
    > > bios)
    > > 2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Your CMOS battery is deader than a doornail and as a result your BIOS is
    almost brain dead. Typical Aptiva Error & Beep codes from IBM:

    2 beeps - CMOS battery weak
    Code 162 - CMOS RAM error... caused by weak CMOS battery
    Code 163 - Realtime clock error caused by... weak CMOS battery

    By themselves these errors can have other causes but all of them have
    weak CMOS battery in common. They also have system board as common
    cause but we will keep our fingers crossed and not think about that
    until you change the battery.

    Until you change the battery you can do the BIOS ritual every time you
    boot or just leave the pc running 24/7.

    For IBM Aptiva error and beep codes go here for a sample:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/DETR-3SRSAB.html?up=%25%25q7X9J7ZCXQ73eI1jxKy&ut=loginCount%3D23%26productCount%3D8%26lastLoginDate%3D2000-03-13-15.29.47.228350%26type1%3D2144%26userID%3D%26greeting%3DWelcome%2Bback%252C%2BMr.%2BBrown%26brand%3DIBM%2BAptiva%26family%3DAptiva%26model1%3DM30&selectarea=SUPPORT&brand=IBM+Aptiva|Aptiva|2144|M30&x=4&y=11
    These are for Aptiva 2144, 2168, but they are typical for many Aptiva
    model. For the exact codes for your model search on that site for
    "messages, error codes, or beeps - Aptiva ####" where #### is your
    model number.

    John

    Tanya wrote:
> [...]
    > i am very grateful!
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >

    >>--
    >>Jeff Richards
    >>MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >>"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>hi,
    >>>windows 95B; ibm aptiva
    >>>likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after going
    >>>through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
    >>>compatibility mode".
    >>>dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
    >>>is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
    >>>the bios errors (double beep)
    >>>1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
    >>>bios)
    >>>2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi and thank you
    unfortunately it will not boot now (i changed the cmos battery -- the 1 i removed read 3.02 volts and the new one reads 3.26 (voltmeter))
    also, it would not give me the option to SAVE changes in the bios.. at all (this started when it failed the post yesterday)
    i'm tying to clear the cmos (with cardboard btwn the battery and the clip)
    thank you for the link.
    if you have any idea of other causes i'd appreciate it.
    sincerely
    Tanya

    John John wrote:

    > Your CMOS battery is deader than a doornail and as a result your BIOS is
    > almost brain dead. Typical Aptiva Error & Beep codes from IBM:
    >
    > 2 beeps - CMOS battery weak
    > Code 162 - CMOS RAM error... caused by weak CMOS battery
    > Code 163 - Realtime clock error caused by... weak CMOS battery
    >
    > By themselves these errors can have other causes but all of them have
    > weak CMOS battery in common. They also have system board as common
    > cause but we will keep our fingers crossed and not think about that
    > until you change the battery.
    >
    > Until you change the battery you can do the BIOS ritual every time you
    > boot or just leave the pc running 24/7.
    >
    > For IBM Aptiva error and beep codes go here for a sample:
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/DETR-3SRSAB.ht
    > l?up=%25%25q7X9J7ZCXQ73eI1jxKy&ut=loginCount%3D23%26productCount%3D8%26lastLoginDate%3D2000-03-13-15.29.47.228350%26type1%3D2144%26userID%3D%26greeting%3DWelcome%2Bback%252C%2BMr.%2BBrown%26brand%3DIBM%2BAptiva%26family%3DAptiva%26model1%3DM30&selectarea=SUPPORT&brand=IBM+Aptiva|Aptiva|2144|M30&x=4&y=11news:41F911DF.F4A627A4@attglobal.net...

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    What's the model number of the Aptiva? I could search IBM for you to
    see if I can find anything. If you can't boot to DOS at least the
    options are pretty slim, the hardware will have to be diagnosed. Make
    sure everything is properly seated on the board, one of the errors
    referred to RAM so check those sticks.

    John

    Tanya wrote:

    > hi and thank you
    > unfortunately it will not boot now (i changed the cmos battery -- the 1 i removed read 3.02 volts and the new one reads 3.26 (voltmeter))
    > also, it would not give me the option to SAVE changes in the bios.. at all (this started when it failed the post yesterday)
    > i'm tying to clear the cmos (with cardboard btwn the battery and the clip)
    > thank you for the link.
    > if you have any idea of other causes i'd appreciate it.
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >

    > John John wrote:
    >

    >>Your CMOS battery is deader than a doornail and as a result your BIOS is
    >>almost brain dead. Typical Aptiva Error & Beep codes from IBM:
    >>
    >>2 beeps - CMOS battery weak
    >>Code 162 - CMOS RAM error... caused by weak CMOS battery
    >>Code 163 - Realtime clock error caused by... weak CMOS battery
    >>
    >>By themselves these errors can have other causes but all of them have
    >>weak CMOS battery in common. They also have system board as common
    >>cause but we will keep our fingers crossed and not think about that
    >>until you change the battery.
    >>
    >>Until you change the battery you can do the BIOS ritual every time you
    >>boot or just leave the pc running 24/7.
    >>
    >>For IBM Aptiva error and beep codes go here for a sample:
    >>http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/DETR-3SRSAB.ht
    >>l?up=%25%25q7X9J7ZCXQ73eI1jxKy&ut=loginCount%3D23%26productCount%3D8%26lastLoginDate%3D2000-03-13-15.29.47.228350%26type1%3D2144%26userID%3D%26greeting%3DWelcome%2Bback%252C%2BMr.%2BBrown%26brand%3DIBM%2BAptiva%26family%3DAptiva%26model1%3DM30&selectarea=SUPPORT&brand=IBM+Aptiva|Aptiva|2144|M30&x=4&y=11news:41F911DF.F4A627A4@attglobal.net...

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi John
    thanks again for replying!

    it is a 2159-s90
    it is booting to an 'adapter resource error' now...not past
    it is registering correct mbs of system ram also.
    (after removing the cardboard from the battery -- clearing the cmos over-night)

    ill reseat cables and chips...
    thanks!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    John John wrote:

    > What's the model number of the Aptiva? I could search IBM for you to
    > see if I can find anything. If you can't boot to DOS at least the
    > options are pretty slim, the hardware will have to be diagnosed. Make
    > sure everything is properly seated on the board, one of the errors
    > referred to RAM so check those sticks.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Tanya wrote:
    >
    > > hi and thank you
    > > unfortunately it will not boot now (i changed the cmos battery -- the 1 i removed read 3.02 volts and the new one reads 3.26 (voltmeter))
    > > also, it would not give me the option to SAVE changes in the bios.. at all (this started when it failed the post yesterday)
    > > i'm tying to clear the cmos (with cardboard btwn the battery and the clip)
    > > thank you for the link.
    > > if you have any idea of other causes i'd appreciate it.
    > > sincerely
    > > Tanya
    > >

    > > John John wrote:
    > >

    > >>Your CMOS battery is deader than a doornail and as a result your BIOS is
    > >>almost brain dead. Typical Aptiva Error & Beep codes from IBM:
    > >>
    > >>2 beeps - CMOS battery weak
    > >>Code 162 - CMOS RAM error... caused by weak CMOS battery
    > >>Code 163 - Realtime clock error caused by... weak CMOS battery
    > >>
    > >>By themselves these errors can have other causes but all of them have
    > >>weak CMOS battery in common. They also have system board as common
    > >>cause but we will keep our fingers crossed and not think about that
    > >>until you change the battery.
    > >>
    > >>Until you change the battery you can do the BIOS ritual every time you
    > >>boot or just leave the pc running 24/7.
    > >>
    > >>For IBM Aptiva error and beep codes go here for a sample:
    > >>http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/DETR-3SRSAB.ht
    > >>l?up=%25%25q7X9J7ZCXQ73eI1jxKy&ut=loginCount%3D23%26productCount%3D8%26lastLoginDate%3D2000-03-13-15.29.47.228350%26type1%3D2144%26userID%3D%26greeting%3DWelcome%2Bback%252C%2BMr.%2BBrown%26brand%3DIBM%2BAptiva%26family%3DAptiva%26model1%3DM30&selectarea=SUPPORT&brand=IBM+Aptiva|Aptiva|2144|M30&x=4&y=11news:41F911DF.F4A627A4@attglobal.net...

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Hi Tonya;

    I'm in a bit of a hurry now but these may com in handy:

    Hardware Maintainance & Troubleshooting Manual for Apriva 2159
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1PMYS-3SRQMA

    Download site for 2159-s90 Drivers/Tools & Utilities/Updates etc.
    http://www.ibm.com/products/finder/us/finders?pg=ddfinder&Ne=5000000&collection=dblue&oldC2=5000258&lc=en&oldC1=5000246&sid=922503001106930704760&tmpl=%2Fproducts%2Ffinder%2Fus%2Fen%2Ffinders&finderN=1000100&cc=US&collectionN=4294967280&C1=5000246&C2=5000258&prodSelect=2159S90
    (Flash BIOS updates there if you need them)

    In the tools/utilities section there might be diagnostic tools but I
    haven't got the time to check right now.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards;

    John

    Tanya wrote:
    > hi John
    > thanks again for replying!
    >
    > it is a 2159-s90
    > it is booting to an 'adapter resource error' now...not past
    > it is registering correct mbs of system ram also.
    > (after removing the cardboard from the battery -- clearing the cmos over-night)
    >
    > ill reseat cables and chips...
    > thanks!
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >

    > John John wrote:
    >

    >>What's the model number of the Aptiva? I could search IBM for you to
    >>see if I can find anything. If you can't boot to DOS at least the
    >>options are pretty slim, the hardware will have to be diagnosed. Make
    >>sure everything is properly seated on the board, one of the errors
    >>referred to RAM so check those sticks.
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>Tanya wrote:
    >>

    >>>hi and thank you
    >>>unfortunately it will not boot now (i changed the cmos battery -- the 1 i removed read 3.02 volts and the new one reads 3.26 (voltmeter))
    >>>also, it would not give me the option to SAVE changes in the bios.. at all (this started when it failed the post yesterday)
    >>>i'm tying to clear the cmos (with cardboard btwn the battery and the clip)
    >>>thank you for the link.
    >>>if you have any idea of other causes i'd appreciate it.
    >>>sincerely
    >>>Tanya

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Also this Tanya:

    Diagnostics - Index of symptoms, messages, error codes, and beeps -
    Aptiva 2159
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=DETR-42JU2A

    John

    Tanya wrote:
    > hi John
    > thanks again for replying!
    >
    > it is a 2159-s90
    > it is booting to an 'adapter resource error' now...not past
    > it is registering correct mbs of system ram also.
    > (after removing the cardboard from the battery -- clearing the cmos over-night)
    >
    > ill reseat cables and chips...
    > thanks!
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >

    > John John wrote:
    >

    >>What's the model number of the Aptiva? I could search IBM for you to
    >>see if I can find anything. If you can't boot to DOS at least the
    >>options are pretty slim, the hardware will have to be diagnosed. Make
    >>sure everything is properly seated on the board, one of the errors
    >>referred to RAM so check those sticks.
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>Tanya wrote:
    >>

    >>>hi and thank you
    >>>unfortunately it will not boot now (i changed the cmos battery -- the 1 i removed read 3.02 volts and the new one reads 3.26 (voltmeter))
    >>>also, it would not give me the option to SAVE changes in the bios.. at all (this started when it failed the post yesterday)
    >>>i'm tying to clear the cmos (with cardboard btwn the battery and the clip)
    >>>thank you for the link.
    >>>if you have any idea of other causes i'd appreciate it.
    >>>sincerely
    >>>Tanya

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi John,
    thanks very much for the links (i have a lot of reading to do :-)

    i appreciate your help

    sincerely
    Tanya

    John John wrote:

    > Also this Tanya:
    >
    > Diagnostics - Index of symptoms, messages, error codes, and beeps -
    > Aptiva 2159
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=DETR-42JU2A
    >
    > John
    >
    > Tanya wrote:
    > > hi John
    > > thanks again for replying!
    > >
    > > it is a 2159-s90
    > > it is booting to an 'adapter resource error' now...not past
    > > it is registering correct mbs of system ram also.
    > > (after removing the cardboard from the battery -- clearing the cmos over-night)
    > >
    > > ill reseat cables and chips...
    > > thanks!
    > > sincerely
    > > Tanya
    > >

    > > John John wrote:
    > >

    > >>What's the model number of the Aptiva? I could search IBM for you to
    > >>see if I can find anything. If you can't boot to DOS at least the
    > >>options are pretty slim, the hardware will have to be diagnosed. Make
    > >>sure everything is properly seated on the board, one of the errors
    > >>referred to RAM so check those sticks.
    > >>
    > >>John

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You should replace the battery as soon as possible. If you access BIOS
    setup, set everything how it should be, save, exit and restart then you
    should not get any further errors relating to BIOS. The settings should be
    OK until you actually turn the power off. Therefore, I think you might have
    a BIOS/hardware problem that goes a bit beyond a flat battery. That you have
    to set the date or time wrong is just plain weird - I have never seen
    anything like that before.

    The DOS compatibility mode error might be related to the problem identified
    in Device Manager, but it's not important for now.

    You can try booting in to safe mode and removing all floppy disk drive
    devices.

    You don't have to be in warranty to get help from the manufacturer's www
    site - they should have a database of problems and questions where you can
    search. You'll probably need it for information on replacing the battery,
    and you may as well look around for floppy disk problem while you're there.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> [...]
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > hi,
    >> > windows 95B; ibm aptiva
    >> > likely needs a new battery HOWEVER i would like to know why (after
    >> > going
    >> > through the BIOS) when i get to windows (desktop) drive a has ":dos
    >> > compatibility mode".
    >> > dvc manager states that the device (a) has been disabled code 29 -- it
    >> > is NOT disabled in the bios; drive a can read and write
    >> > the bios errors (double beep)
    >> > 1. "..." configuration change (a is present and set up correctly in the
    >> > bios)
    >> > 2. "..." time and date change (it is no different than usual)

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi and thanks again,
    [...below...]

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > You should replace the battery as soon as possible.

    i have done so (the old read 3.02 volts, the new 3.26 -- voltmeter)
    it is not booting now -- i'm trying to clear the cmos overnight (paper btwn the
    clip and battery)

    > If you access BIOS
    > setup, set everything how it should be, save, exit and restart then you
    > should not get any further errors relating to BIOS.

    it would not give a save option since this all started....

    > The settings should be
    > OK until you actually turn the power off. Therefore, I think you might have
    > a BIOS/hardware problem that goes a bit beyond a flat battery. That you have
    > to set the date or time wrong is just plain weird - I have never seen
    > anything like that before.

    i think that there may be a problem w/ the media console or at least the card
    b/c it also contains the power switch and even now if i unplug the power cord
    and plug it back in it starts (before i changed the battery into windows via the
    bios and now it might show the ibm logo (it shows video and cache ram but not
    system ram.))

    tomorrow i'll try it after reconnecting the battery and if that does not work i
    will remove everything and start with the minimum.

    > The DOS compatibility mode error might be related to the problem identified
    > in Device Manager, but it's not important for now.
    >
    > You can try booting in to safe mode and removing all floppy disk drive
    > devices.

    unfortunately i cannot now

    > You don't have to be in warranty to get help from the manufacturer's www
    > site - they should have a database of problems and questions where you can
    > search. You'll probably need it for information on replacing the battery,
    > and you may as well look around for floppy disk problem while you're there.

    i did the battery
    this pc is almost 8 years old...
    if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it...
    i'll reseat the memory also (the pc was EXTREMELY dusty fwiw)
    thank you again,
    sincerely
    Tanya

> [...]
    > >> using the computer's CMOS configuration program."
    > >
    > > i am W.A.Y. out of warranty
    > >
    > >> The DOS compatibility mode reference is not associated with DOS itself -
    > >> it
    > >> simply refers to drivers that are loaded using DOS protocols instead of
    > >> Windows protocols. Whether or not there's a disk in the drive makes no
    > >> difference.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > the date and time change announcement i think means a dying battery
    > > HOWEVER, it
    > > is keeping time and the date.
    > > i've changed date and time, saved, exited and gone to windows and
    > > restarted and
    > > it still tells me that the time and date are wrong and states a
    > > configuration
    > > change (and that all cmos settings are wrong)
    > > also i wonder whether i should upDate drivers (standard floppy disk

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hi and thanks again,
    > [...below...]
    >
    > Jeff Richards wrote:
    >
    >> You should replace the battery as soon as possible.
    >
    > i have done so (the old read 3.02 volts, the new 3.26 -- voltmeter)
    > it is not booting now -- i'm trying to clear the cmos overnight (paper
    > btwn the
    > clip and battery)
    >
    >> If you access BIOS
    >> setup, set everything how it should be, save, exit and restart then you
    >> should not get any further errors relating to BIOS.
    >
    > it would not give a save option since this all started....
    >
    >> The settings should be
    >> OK until you actually turn the power off. Therefore, I think you might
    >> have
    >> a BIOS/hardware problem that goes a bit beyond a flat battery. That you
    >> have
    >> to set the date or time wrong is just plain weird - I have never seen
    >> anything like that before.
    >
    > i think that there may be a problem w/ the media console or at least the
    > card
    > b/c it also contains the power switch and even now if i unplug the power
    > cord
    > and plug it back in it starts (before i changed the battery into windows
    > via the
    > bios and now it might show the ibm logo (it shows video and cache ram but
    > not
    > system ram.))
    >
    > tomorrow i'll try it after reconnecting the battery and if that does not
    > work i
    > will remove everything and start with the minimum.
    >

    >> The DOS compatibility mode error might be related to the problem
    >> identified
    >> in Device Manager, but it's not important for now.
    >>
    >> You can try booting in to safe mode and removing all floppy disk drive
    >> devices.
    >
    > unfortunately i cannot now
    >
    >> You don't have to be in warranty to get help from the manufacturer's www
    >> site - they should have a database of problems and questions where you
    >> can
    >> search. You'll probably need it for information on replacing the
    >> battery,
    >> and you may as well look around for floppy disk problem while you're
    >> there.
    >
    > i did the battery
    > this pc is almost 8 years old...
    > if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it...
    > i'll reseat the memory also (the pc was EXTREMELY dusty fwiw)
    > thank you again,
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    <SNIP>

    make sure you check all you cards and cables ..not just memory (and make
    sure the BIOS chip itself is secure)

    i am wondering if the BIOS chip itself may be becoming "flaky" (definately a
    hardware setup problem tho)

    good luck :>
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Haggis wrote:

> [...]
    > >> battery,
    > >> and you may as well look around for floppy disk problem while you're
    > >> there.
    > >
    > > i did the battery
    > > this pc is almost 8 years old...
    > > if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it...
    > > i'll reseat the memory also (the pc was EXTREMELY dusty fwiw)
    > > thank you again,
    > > sincerely
    > > Tanya
    > >
    > >> --
    > >> Jeff Richards
    > >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > >> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > make sure you check all you cards and cables ..not just memory (and make
    > sure the BIOS chip itself is secure)
    >
    > i am wondering if the BIOS chip itself may be becoming "flaky" (definately a

    thanks Haggis,
    i took the cardboard out from the battery (cleared the CMOS overnight) and it is
    "booting" but only to an adapter card resource error (it had these when the
    original hd died (physical crash and iirc i was supposed to set something in
    windows according to the manual but could not get these (nor can i now))

    it also is having numerous other errors (no os; no hdd, etc...)
    how do i tell if the bios chip is bad?
    (you cannot replace them (the bios chips) in these pcs separately and it is
    almost 8y/o)
    i appreciate your help,
    sincerely
    Tanya
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > Haggis wrote:
    >
    >> "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > hi and thanks again,
    >> > [...below...]

    >> > i have done so (the old read 3.02 volts, the new 3.26 -- voltmeter)
    >> > it is not booting now -- i'm trying to clear the cmos overnight (paper
    >> > btwn the
    >> > clip and battery)

    >> > it would not give a save option since this all started....

    >> > i think that there may be a problem w/ the media console or at least
    >> > the
    >> > card
    >> > b/c it also contains the power switch and even now if i unplug the
    >> > power
    >> > cord
    >> > and plug it back in it starts (before i changed the battery into
    >> > windows
    >> > via the
    >> > bios and now it might show the ibm logo (it shows video and cache ram
    >> > but
    >> > not
    >> > system ram.))
    >> >
    >> > tomorrow i'll try it after reconnecting the battery and if that does
    >> > not
    >> > work i
    >> > will remove everything and start with the minimum.

    >> > unfortunately i cannot now

    >> > i did the battery
    >> > this pc is almost 8 years old...
    >> > if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it...
    >> > i'll reseat the memory also (the pc was EXTREMELY dusty fwiw)
    >> > thank you again,
    >> > sincerely
    >> > Tanya

    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> make sure you check all you cards and cables ..not just memory (and make
    >> sure the BIOS chip itself is secure)
    >>
    >> i am wondering if the BIOS chip itself may be becoming "flaky"
    >> (definately a
    >> hardware setup problem tho)
    >>
    >> good luck :>
    >
    > thanks Haggis,
    > i took the cardboard out from the battery (cleared the CMOS overnight) and
    > it is
    > "booting" but only to an adapter card resource error (it had these when
    > the
    > original hd died (physical crash and iirc i was supposed to set something
    > in
    > windows according to the manual but could not get these (nor can i now))
    >
    > it also is having numerous other errors (no os; no hdd, etc...)
    > how do i tell if the bios chip is bad?
    > (you cannot replace them (the bios chips) in these pcs separately and it
    > is
    > almost 8y/o)
    > i appreciate your help,
    > sincerely
    > Tanya

    i guess basically if you can't fix the problems ..its time for a new
    motherboard.....(you're right ..getting a BIOS chip for that would be an
    interesting exercise)

    I'm wondering if the original crash somehow mucked your IDE controller card
    (which is why you're getting the errors "no os :no hdd" are all saying the
    same thing.."can't find HD") I didn't look yet (they actually want me to
    work here :> ) but if the IDE controller is not onboard you might find one
    to replace it to solve your problem.

    luck :>
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Haggis wrote:

    > ...(they actually want me to
    > work here :> )

    Buy them out! Then you'll be able to terrorize those slave drivers...

    Revenge is sweet :-)

    But then maybe they will laugh all the way to the bank and you won't
    have anyone left to pick on :-(

    John
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Haggis wrote:

    > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Haggis wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message

    > >> <SNIP>
    > >>
    > >> make sure you check all you cards and cables ..not just memory (and make
    > >> sure the BIOS chip itself is secure)
    > >>
    > >> i am wondering if the BIOS chip itself may be becoming "flaky"
    > >> (definately a
    > >> hardware setup problem tho)
    > >>
    > >> good luck :>
    > >
    > > thanks Haggis,
    > > i took the cardboard out from the battery (cleared the CMOS overnight) and
    > > it is
    > > "booting" but only to an adapter card resource error (it had these when
    > > the
    > > original hd died (physical crash and iirc i was supposed to set something
    > > in
    > > windows according to the manual but could not get these (nor can i now))
    > >
    > > it also is having numerous other errors (no os; no hdd, etc...)
    > > how do i tell if the bios chip is bad?
    > > (you cannot replace them (the bios chips) in these pcs separately and it
    > > is
    > > almost 8y/o)
    > > i appreciate your help,
    > > sincerely
    > > Tanya
    > >

    > i guess basically if you can't fix the problems ..its time for a new
    > motherboard.....(you're right ..getting a BIOS chip for that would be an
    > interesting exercise)
    >
    > I'm wondering if the original crash somehow mucked your IDE controller card
    > (which is why you're getting the errors "no os :no hdd" are all saying the
    > same thing.."can't find HD") I didn't look yet (they actually want me to
    > work here :> ) but if the IDE controller is not onboard you might find one
    > to replace it to solve your problem.
    >
    > luck :>

    hi Haggis,
    thanks again for answering!
    the IDE controllers are onBoard (there are THREE)
    (the 3rd doesn't work at least with the other 2 being used)
    supposedly the media console controller card is on a *virtual scuzzy*
    and also i was incorrect: the media console controller card is in an ISA slot
    (not a pci slot)

    i just wonder re: the 3 ide controllers whether (if all else fails) i could use
    ide-controller 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2
    i do not know whether windows 95B would renumber them???

    i have not reseated them (or anything) yet.

    what i want to avoid is the flashing cursor deal where it doesn't even get to
    the ibm splash screen

    also i wonder whether it *could* be the psu since the errors are vague (like the
    ?1802 -- adapter card resource conflict)
    the psu has never been replaced.
    i have a voltmeter.
    thanks so much again!
    grateful for the help!
    sincerely
    Tanya
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Haggis wrote:
    >
    >> ...(they actually want me to work here :> )
    >
    > Buy them out! Then you'll be able to terrorize those slave drivers...
    >
    > Revenge is sweet :-)
    >
    > But then maybe they will laugh all the way to the bank and you won't have
    > anyone left to pick on :-(
    >
    > John

    ahhhhh revenge , what a sweet word! LOL

    I wish!
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    <snip>

    > i guess basically if you can't fix the problems ..its time for a new
    > motherboard.....(you're right ..getting a BIOS chip for that would be an
    > interesting exercise)
    >
    > I'm wondering if the original crash somehow mucked your IDE controller card
    > (which is why you're getting the errors "no os :no hdd" are all saying the
    > same thing.."can't find HD") I didn't look yet (they actually want me to
    > work here :> ) but if the IDE controller is not onboard you might find one
    > to replace it to solve your problem.
    >
    > luck :>

    hi,
    it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as the
    start-up error.
    can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it won't pass
    the bios start-up error still
    THANKS!
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If you can get the motherboard manual from the manufacturer's www site, look
    for an option to reset or re-initialize the BIOS. This might create a
    different setting than the default from clearing the BIOS.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > <snip>
    > hi,
    > it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as
    > the
    > start-up error.
    > can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it won't
    > pass
    > the bios start-up error still
    > THANKS!
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    thank you... i got the "Hardware Maintenance & Troubleshooting Manual for Apriva
    2159" and will look...
    sincerely
    Tanya

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > If you can get the motherboard manual from the manufacturer's www site, look
    > for an option to reset or re-initialize the BIOS. This might create a
    > different setting than the default from clearing the BIOS.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > hi,
    > > it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as
    > > the
    > > start-up error.
    > > can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it won't
    > > pass
    > > the bios start-up error still
    > > THANKS!
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    i searched the manual -- there're only a few references to cmos password
    resetting (i don't have a password)
    i think that i already lost ezBIOS (also b/c with the original start-up errors
    it stated 'lost cmos settings' and clearing the cmos could not have helped)
    so i guess this means a full format and reinstall?
    i think that there is a 2-button mouse reset which i'll try.
    i apologize since i have veered off windows 95 i think.
    sincerely
    Tanya

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > If you can get the motherboard manual from the manufacturer's www site, look
    > for an option to reset or re-initialize the BIOS. This might create a
    > different setting than the default from clearing the BIOS.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > hi,
    > > it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as
    > > the
    > > start-up error.
    > > can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it won't
    > > pass
    > > the bios start-up error still
    > > THANKS!
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Hi Tanya,
    As an aside here, and knowing how old and what type of computer you are using, why
    don't you save up and just buy a new machine? You are really due for one! The
    Aptiva you are using is quite out of date, not to mention that split case can be
    problematic. It is certainly not going to have a replacement motherboard available
    anymore, if that turns out to be a problem.

    You can get a brand new system for under $500 these days.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > i searched the manual -- there're only a few references to cmos password
    > resetting (i don't have a password)
    > i think that i already lost ezBIOS (also b/c with the original start-up errors
    > it stated 'lost cmos settings' and clearing the cmos could not have helped)
    > so i guess this means a full format and reinstall?
    > i think that there is a 2-button mouse reset which i'll try.
    > i apologize since i have veered off windows 95 i think.
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >

    > Jeff Richards wrote:
    >
    > > If you can get the motherboard manual from the manufacturer's www site, look
    > > for an option to reset or re-initialize the BIOS. This might create a
    > > different setting than the default from clearing the BIOS.
    > > --
    > > Jeff Richards
    > > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > <snip>
    > > > hi,
    > > > it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as
    > > > the
    > > > start-up error.
    > > > can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it won't
    > > > pass
    > > > the bios start-up error still
    > > > THANKS!

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > You can get a brand new system for under $500 these days.

    Under $200. (Although sales tax may kick you over that a little).

    Slightly more if you want XP also, but still well under $300.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    thanks...a new pc is a thought however i am in windows now (on it) the boot sequence
    was totally incorrect (it had changed from yesterday on its own)
    main concern now is
    1. making sure i (it) doesn't damage the slave drive (using for back-up)
    (it is going extremely slow)
    2. i've written down device manager (irq's) and am printing it (which btw is taking a
    L.O.N.G. time to print fwiw)
    what should i write down in case i need to get into it again and it gives "adapter card
    resource error"
    3. the zip drive is not working
    4. it is no longer in dos compatibility mode! :)
    i guess #2 is applicable this newsGroup
    i am not going to get another mb (they co$t a fortune and i don't know whether there
    are any around now (especially that are in good shape))

    (and also i got ezBIOS back)
    thanks in advance
    sincerely
    Tanya
    p.s. i ran scandisk and it had no errors

    glee wrote:

    > Hi Tanya,
    > As an aside here, and knowing how old and what type of computer you are using, why
    > don't you save up and just buy a new machine? You are really due for one! The
    > Aptiva you are using is quite out of date, not to mention that split case can be
    > problematic. It is certainly not going to have a replacement motherboard available
    > anymore, if that turns out to be a problem.
    >
    > You can get a brand new system for under $500 these days.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    <snip>
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If it's running then you can probably deal with the issues one by one, but
    any system that acts erratically is going to be a problem to use.

    EZBIOS is a completely different issue than the CMOS settings for BIOS that
    you have been dealing with. If the disk is partitioned and formatted and
    running then you can forget EZBIOS.

    The adapter card resource error might indicate an adapter card that the BIOS
    doesn't understand or an adapter card that has incorrect settings, such as
    IRQ. You would need to detail the exact configuration of each of the
    installed adapter cards, looking especially for any that have configuration
    capability, such as jumpers or switches.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > If you can get the motherboard manual from the manufacturer's www site,
    > look for an option to reset or re-initialize the BIOS. This might create
    > a different setting than the default from clearing the BIOS.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> <snip>
    >> hi,
    >> it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as
    >> the
    >> start-up error.
    >> can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it
    >> won't pass
    >> the bios start-up error still
    >> THANKS!

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi Jeff,
    thank you for answering (i really appreciate it)
    [...below...]

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > If it's running then you can probably deal with the issues one by one, but
    > any system that acts erratically is going to be a problem to use.

    it is completely erratic --
    it was running really well before (i.e. days ago) and then suddenly it started
    with the post startup errors
    (many of which were not even accurate) and the dos-compatibility mode also.

    > EZBIOS is a completely different issue than the CMOS settings for BIOS that
    > you have been dealing with. If the disk is partitioned and formatted and
    > running then you can forget EZBIOS.

    i used ezBIOS (originally) to format and partition the 30 gb master drive -- i
    heard that if removed, the drive would lose data and the os etc.
    ezBIOS appeared earlier today (after having changed the boot order) (following
    again an "adapter card resource error") it appears normally after the POST but i
    hadn't seen it since replacing the lithium battery...(2 days ago)

    > The adapter card resource error might indicate an adapter card that the BIOS
    > doesn't understand or an adapter card that has incorrect settings, such as
    > IRQ. You would need to detail the exact configuration of each of the
    > installed adapter cards, looking especially for any that have configuration
    > capability, such as jumpers or switches.

    it could only be the media console controller card (it's isa (at slot) the
    others (the modem and sound card are pci))

    currently it is not booting again after disconnecting the zip drive and the
    slave hard drive
    now it only gets to the ibm splash no post (does not pass) no error and it won't
    read the boot disk.
    again i am grateful for the help
    thanks!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > > If you can get the motherboard manual from the manufacturer's www site,
    > > look for an option to reset or re-initialize the BIOS. This might create
    > > a different setting than the default from clearing the BIOS.
    > > --
    > > Jeff Richards
    > > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >> <snip>
    > >> hi,
    > >> it's reading a boot disk -- however has "adapter card resource error" as
    > >> the
    > >> start-up error.
    > >> can i do anything about this in ms-dos or w/ the win95B cd? since it
    > >> won't pass
    > >> the bios start-up error still
    > >> THANKS!

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If the EZBIOS message at start-up is coming and going, then that indicates
    that the partition (or, more likely, disk) you are booting from is changing.
    This may be related to the adapter card message - it might be that the
    message indicates it couldn't access the hard drive that is managed through
    the adapter. Therefore, it boots to the other drive (could this be the slave
    drive?)

    If you are actually using two different installations of Windows, then that
    would also explain some of the other mysterious things that have happened!

    I think you have to seriously tackle the problem hardware, or ditch the
    machine.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > hi Jeff,
    > thank you for answering (i really appreciate it)
    > [...below...]
    >
    > Jeff Richards wrote:
    >
    >> If it's running then you can probably deal with the issues one by one,
    >> but
    >> any system that acts erratically is going to be a problem to use.
    >
    > it is completely erratic --
    > it was running really well before (i.e. days ago) and then suddenly it
    > started
    > with the post startup errors
    > (many of which were not even accurate) and the dos-compatibility mode
    > also.
    >
    >> EZBIOS is a completely different issue than the CMOS settings for BIOS
    >> that
    >> you have been dealing with. If the disk is partitioned and formatted and
    >> running then you can forget EZBIOS.
    >
    > i used ezBIOS (originally) to format and partition the 30 gb master
    > drive -- i
    > heard that if removed, the drive would lose data and the os etc.
    > ezBIOS appeared earlier today (after having changed the boot order)
    > (following
    > again an "adapter card resource error") it appears normally after the POST
    > but i
    > hadn't seen it since replacing the lithium battery...(2 days ago)
    >
    >> The adapter card resource error might indicate an adapter card that the
    >> BIOS
    >> doesn't understand or an adapter card that has incorrect settings, such
    >> as
    >> IRQ. You would need to detail the exact configuration of each of the
    >> installed adapter cards, looking especially for any that have
    >> configuration
    >> capability, such as jumpers or switches.
    >
    > it could only be the media console controller card (it's isa (at slot) the
    > others (the modem and sound card are pci))
    >
    > currently it is not booting again after disconnecting the zip drive and
    > the
    > slave hard drive
    > now it only gets to the ibm splash no post (does not pass) no error and it
    > won't
    > read the boot disk.
    > again i am grateful for the help
    > thanks!
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi Jeff,
    thank you again for replying!

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > If the EZBIOS message at start-up is coming and going, then that indicates
    > that the partition (or, more likely, disk) you are booting from is changing.

    ezBIOS has been showing up normally

    > This may be related to the adapter card message - it might be that the
    > message indicates it couldn't access the hard drive that is managed through
    > the adapter. Therefore, it boots to the other drive (could this be the slave
    > drive?)

    it is no longer giving the "adapter card resource error"
    (and the floppy drive is no longer in dos-compatibility mode)
    (currently there are no post-start-up error)
    (it is just running EXTREMELY slowly)

    i removed the slave yesterday................
    the master hdd (and formerly the slave) are on the same ide controller. (the
    1'ary) (onBoard)
    (fwiw -- when the original hd crashed (in 2000) (mechanically) it continuously
    gave a "legacy adapter card error" (and would not get through the bios) until i
    installed windows 95B onto the new hd
    (i heard that some bios programs pass early control (temporarily) to the os --
    these errors stopped when windows95b was installed again)

    > If you are actually using two different installations of Windows, then that
    > would also explain some of the other mysterious things that have happened!

    just 1

    > I think you have to seriously tackle the problem hardware, or ditch the
    > machine.

    i appreciate your help -- as you mention it definitely has h/w errors...
    Thanks!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hi Jeff,
    > > thank you for answering (i really appreciate it)
    > > [...below...]
    > >
    > > Jeff Richards wrote:
    > >
    > >> If it's running then you can probably deal with the issues one by one,
    > >> but
    > >> any system that acts erratically is going to be a problem to use.
    > >
    > > it is completely erratic --
    > > it was running really well before (i.e. days ago) and then suddenly it
    > > started
    > > with the post startup errors
    > > (many of which were not even accurate) and the dos-compatibility mode
    > > also.
    > >
    > >> EZBIOS is a completely different issue than the CMOS settings for BIOS
    > >> that
    > >> you have been dealing with. If the disk is partitioned and formatted and
    > >> running then you can forget EZBIOS.
    > >
    > > i used ezBIOS (originally) to format and partition the 30 gb master
    > > drive -- i
    > > heard that if removed, the drive would lose data and the os etc.
    > > ezBIOS appeared earlier today (after having changed the boot order)
    > > (following
    > > again an "adapter card resource error") it appears normally after the POST
    > > but i
    > > hadn't seen it since replacing the lithium battery...(2 days ago)
    > >
    > >> The adapter card resource error might indicate an adapter card that the
    > >> BIOS
    > >> doesn't understand or an adapter card that has incorrect settings, such
    > >> as
    > >> IRQ. You would need to detail the exact configuration of each of the
    > >> installed adapter cards, looking especially for any that have
    > >> configuration
    > >> capability, such as jumpers or switches.
    > >
    > > it could only be the media console controller card (it's isa (at slot) the
    > > others (the modem and sound card are pci))
    > >
    > > currently it is not booting again after disconnecting the zip drive and
    > > the
    > > slave hard drive
    > > now it only gets to the ibm splash no post (does not pass) no error and it
    > > won't
    > > read the boot disk.
    > > again i am grateful for the help
    > > thanks!
    > > sincerely
    > > Tanya
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    hi,
    i believe that the problem(S) are resolved!
    there was a system cache setting (in the cmos settings) which was DISabled... i
    ENabled it and from then on it's been booting into windows (quickly) passing the
    post (fast) and has regained its *speed* WHICH IS QUICK especially for an 8y/o
    pc :-)
    THANKS for all the help!
    GREATLY appreciated it!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > If the EZBIOS message at start-up is coming and going, then that indicates
    > that the partition (or, more likely, disk) you are booting from is changing.
    > This may be related to the adapter card message - it might be that the
    > message indicates it couldn't access the hard drive that is managed through
    > the adapter. Therefore, it boots to the other drive (could this be the slave
    > drive?)
    >
    > If you are actually using two different installations of Windows, then that
    > would also explain some of the other mysterious things that have happened!
    >
    > I think you have to seriously tackle the problem hardware, or ditch the
    > machine.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    <snip>
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Nicely done! While I can see a direct connection between this setting and
    the slow boot, any association with the other problems is much less obvious.
    However, it is often very difficult to identify exactly what 'flow-on'
    effect these settings might have.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > hi,
    > i believe that the problem(S) are resolved!
    > there was a system cache setting (in the cmos settings) which was
    > DISabled... i
    > ENabled it and from then on it's been booting into windows (quickly)
    > passing the
    > post (fast) and has regained its *speed* WHICH IS QUICK especially for an
    > 8y/o
    > pc :-)
    > THANKS for all the help!
    > GREATLY appreciated it!