Where do I find SHARE.EXE

Moses

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002

I just installed Windows 95, and went to install Works 3.0, and it told me
that I needed the SHARE.EXE program before I could install it. Where do I
find SHARE.EXE?

Just use Notepad and create a new file and name it Share.exe and save it
in your \Windows\System folder. The file will be a zero byte file, it
(most likely) won't matter, usually the install program, in this case
Works, just looks for the file to make sure that it's on the system. If
it sees the file it then installs and should work properly. It doesn't
check that the file is valid or not, it just wants to see it. Share.exe
was a DOS file and it was abandoned by W/95. Windows uses a different
scheme for share.exe

John

Moses wrote:

> I just installed Windows 95, and went to install Works 3.0, and it told me
> that I needed the SHARE.EXE program before I could install it. Where do I
> find SHARE.EXE?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Share.exe is an old Win3.1 file. I needed it in the exact same situation as
you some years back and I was fortunate to have a brother who still had a
Win3.1 machine. Newer versions of works do not need that file, (if you can
get newer versions) on my P133/64 Mb ram Works 5.0 (otherwise called Works
2000) runs fine. I still have a "share.exe" on my Hardrive if it will help.
Let me know.

--
Jerry

You do not have to copy SHARE.EXE to your computer.
Just open a blank document in notepad.
The go to 'SAVE AS" and name it "share.exe" (don't forget the dot exe part)
Save this to your C drive and what ever program need it will be quite happy.
It just wants to see a file named "share.exe" on the computer. It does not
actually use the file.