Win95 -> win 98

hi,

I have got win95 on my old P2 laptop and I want to switch
to win98 or win 98 SE . Can someone please advice me on the
following

1. which one do I(or can I) install..? win 98 or win 98 SE

2. Is it possible to install the win98 OS without
formatting my HD, what I mean is I dont want to move my
files to a backup or some other PC and I wanted to know if
this is possible (pardon my ignorance)

3. Is it advisable to install win 2000 or win 98..? I have
noticed that the performance is better on 95/98/NT rather
than on the 2000/XP. XP being the worse

thanks in advance

Fred
2 answers Last reply
More about win95

    1. W98se is recommended - it has significant improvements over W98 with very
    little performance difference.
    2. Yes.
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
    3. You need to decide whether the advantages of W2k outweigh the performance
    hit. If you need the features and can live with the performance, go for
    W2k. If W98 provides everything you need, take advantage of the better
    performance.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "freddie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > hi,
    >
    > I have got win95 on my old P2 laptop and I want to switch
    > to win98 or win 98 SE . Can someone please advice me on the
    > following
    >
    > 1. which one do I(or can I) install..? win 98 or win 98 SE
    >
    > 2. Is it possible to install the win98 OS without
    > formatting my HD, what I mean is I dont want to move my
    > files to a backup or some other PC and I wanted to know if
    > this is possible (pardon my ignorance)
    >
    > 3. Is it advisable to install win 2000 or win 98..? I have
    > noticed that the performance is better on 95/98/NT rather
    > than on the 2000/XP. XP being the worse
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Fred

    In additions to what Jeff provided, check the following before you try.
    1. Do you have enough RAM? W95 will work on as little as 16 MB, but
    Windows 98 or 98SE needs 64 MB if you are going to get any reasonable
    performance.
    2. If you do not have enough RAM, can you get more RAM for your laptop?
    At a reasonable price? I had an old laptop that had 16 MB and no provision
    to add any more.
    3 Recognize that Windows 98 or 98SE will require twice the amount of hard
    drive (just for the operating system) as was required by 95. If you
    upgrade, and store recovery files to back out, your OS hard drive space will
    just about triple.
    4. Win 2000 is a nice stable OS, but it will push your hardware system
    even harder and there are a lot of nice tools in Windows 98 and 98SE that
    are not available in W2k (like msconfig.exe).

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > 1. W98se is recommended - it has significant improvements over W98 with
    > very little performance difference.
    > 2. Yes.
    > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
    > 3. You need to decide whether the advantages of W2k outweigh the
    > performance hit. If you need the features and can live with the
    > performance, go for W2k. If W98 provides everything you need, take
    > advantage of the better performance.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "freddie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> I have got win95 on my old P2 laptop and I want to switch
    >> to win98 or win 98 SE . Can someone please advice me on the
    >> following
    >>
    >> 1. which one do I(or can I) install..? win 98 or win 98 SE
    >>
    >> 2. Is it possible to install the win98 OS without
    >> formatting my HD, what I mean is I dont want to move my
    >> files to a backup or some other PC and I wanted to know if
    >> this is possible (pardon my ignorance)
    >>
    >> 3. Is it advisable to install win 2000 or win 98..? I have
    >> noticed that the performance is better on 95/98/NT rather
    >> than on the 2000/XP. XP being the worse
    >>
    >> thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Fred

Windows