fat 32

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 14, 2005 1:54:44 PM

i use windows 95 with service pack 1 (95a). is there a way to use win95 to
access HD formatted with fat 32?

More about : fat

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:32:42 PM

"anyone" <anyone@nowhere.net> wrote:

>i use windows 95 with service pack 1 (95a). is there a way to use win95 to
>access HD formatted with fat 32?

Win95b (OEM SR2) and later can use FAT32. There's no way to make
earlier editions see a FAT32 partition.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "anyone" <anyone@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>i use windows 95 with service pack 1 (95a). is there a way to use win95 to
>>access HD formatted with fat 32?
>
> Win95b (OEM SR2) and later can use FAT32. There's no way to make
> earlier editions see a FAT32 partition.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov

you could put it in a win95b or win98 computer and access it through a
network
February 14, 2005 6:59:23 PM

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> > "anyone" <anyone@nowhere.net> wrote:
> >
> >>i use windows 95 with service pack 1 (95a). is there a way to use win95
> >>access HD formatted with fat 32?
> >
> > Win95b (OEM SR2) and later can use FAT32. There's no way to make
> > earlier editions see a FAT32 partition.
> >
> > --
> > Tim Slattery
> > MS MVP(DTS)
> > Slattery_T@bls.gov
>
> you could put it in a win95b or win98 computer and access it through a
> network

If he puts it into a win95b or win 98 computer,
he won't have to access it through a network.
He can leave it where it is to do that.

win95b and win 98 can read local FAT32 drives just fine.

You are getting confused with NTFS
February 15, 2005 11:25:06 AM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message

>> > Win95b (OEM SR2) and later can use FAT32. There's no way to make
>> > earlier editions see a FAT32 partition.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Tim Slattery
>> > MS MVP(DTS)
>> > Slattery_T@bls.gov
>>
>> you could put it in a win95b or win98 computer and access it through a
>> network
>
> If he puts it into a win95b or win 98 computer,
> he won't have to access it through a network.
> He can leave it where it is to do that.
>
> win95b and win 98 can read local FAT32 drives just fine.
>
> You are getting confused with NTFS

not really ...i was assuming he wanted the files from the drive copied to
the older OS for some reason(that is why i mentioned the newer os's if he
had another box handy )
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:25:07 AM

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 0IZnl1EFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> not really ...i was assuming he wanted the files from the drive copied to
> the older OS for some reason(that is why i mentioned the newer os's if he
> had another box handy )

You are correct if the OP needs to copy files to the old system.

Perhaps I put too much emphasis on the word "access"
as being indicative of a need to simply browse the disk.
February 15, 2005 11:25:08 AM

> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 0IZnl1EFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>> not really ...i was assuming he wanted the files from the drive copied to
>> the older OS for some reason(that is why i mentioned the newer os's if he
>> had another box handy )
>
> You are correct if the OP needs to copy files to the old system.
>
> Perhaps I put too much emphasis on the word "access"
> as being indicative of a need to simply browse the disk.

<g> sometimes it is hard to interpret what the poster is 'actually' wanting
to do ....( i sometimes take a tangent :> )
!