Lighting Question? 12v.....

Slaytus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hey I was wondering ok I totaled my car liek am onth ago rolled it twice into a dtich ruining the car...anyways i had two red sound activated lights that were powered by just 12vs...and a ground wire (each). Now would i be able to jsut get a quick connect and connect the 12v wire of the light onto a 12v wire coming from poer source and hook the ground onto one the ground wires? like i know how but would it work before i do anything or would it destroy something?

Slaytus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Bump..
I know alot about lights in cars and car wireing sound amps speakers lights alarms etc. jsut didnt know if it ran off the same amprage or i guess it does say dc so ya it would work..

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
12 volts DC is 12 volts DC... doesnt matter where its coming from.

you should figure out how many watts the neon lights are... then check the wattage on your PSU on the 12v rail. like i posted in your other post.

if they are indeed 12 v lights, then you can also figure out how many amps they'll drain from the P=IV equation. I= current (A) V =Volts

If its more or close to MAX, than your psu will go up in smoke.
Quality name brand psu's will generally be able to handle a lot closer to their specifications.
A cheap chinese psu might quit at below its specs.

Slaytus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
ya sorry i tried it before i read your thing and it lite up fine so ya it works and ya they are 12v cause i hooked them up before and a car battery puts out 12vdc jsut for long period of time for its size. but ya it worked cause i also checked out the other neon lights made for the comp that i check and there jsut a ground and 12v yellow wire coming from it
so ya i dont know why i didnt think of it before cause most harm i could do is wreck the light
it would send a back charge.

Fastboatslowcomp

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2005
Why don't you hook up the whole 'sound activated light' system to the sound system on your computer? If you don't want to chance hooking something up to your computer, run it through a home stereo. That way, if you crash your computer, you can still have the light show.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I'm guessing his car looks similar to this...

253-40230-1511.jpg

rofl. That's the first thing that came to my mind when i heard:
"stereo more expensive than car"