windows login password

I'm trying to retrieve documents from an old computer that had a start-up
password. I've forgotten the password. Can it be reset or disabled? I
understand there may be a way to do it in my BIOS.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows login password

    Christine Gonzales <Christine Gonzales@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to retrieve documents from an old computer that had a start-up
    >password. I've forgotten the password. Can it be reset or disabled? I
    >understand there may be a way to do it in my BIOS.

    Is this the password to log into Windows or is it one that comes up
    immediately after you turn on the computer, before the first Windows
    Startup Screen is displayed?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    wrote:

    >I'm trying to retrieve documents from an old computer that had a start-up
    >password. I've forgotten the password. Can it be reset or disabled? I
    >understand there may be a way to do it in my BIOS.

    If it's a BIOS password (the prompt appears as the machine is booting,
    before *any* trace of Windows appears) then it can be reset by
    manipulating the hardware. The first place to look is in the system or
    motherboard documentation. That would tell you exactly which
    motherboard contacts need to be shorted to reset the BIOS password.
    Failing that, you can remove the BIOS battery from the motherboard for
    a few minutes. That will reset *everything* in the BIOS, so you might
    have to spend some time with the BIOS setup program after you get
    access to the machine to get things working right. (I'd recommend that
    you go into the BIOS setup before resetting and write down the
    settings, but if it's a BIOS password that's locking you out then you
    can't access the BIOS setup.)

    If the bootup proceeds until Windows loads, then Windows gives you a
    password prompt, just click "Cancel". The Win9x password is *not* a
    secure system and can be bypassed by this simple procedure.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

Login Microsoft Windows