Note pad.exe

I have a old Windows 95 someone was going to throw out. I took it to play
with,see what makes it tick,and look around inside it. I hooked it up and it
works pretty good,so I don't want to do anything to ruin it.
A little problem I have is when I try and spy on some files I get a message,
"Windows cannot find NOTEPAD.EXE" So I cannot open some files. Can someone
help me out with this.
Thanks
Whimpie
4 answers Last reply
More about note

    Whimpie wrote:
    > I have a old Windows 95 someone was going to throw out. I took it to
    > play with,see what makes it tick,and look around inside it. I hooked
    > it up and it works pretty good,so I don't want to do anything to ruin
    > it. A little problem I have is when I try and spy on some files I get
    > a message, "Windows cannot find NOTEPAD.EXE" So I cannot open some
    > files. Can someone help me out with this.

    You should be able to restore NOTEPAD.EXE off of the CD. However, you might
    also want to install a Notepad substitute - a light-weight program that
    doesn't have Notepad's particular filesize (and other) limitations. There
    are a lot of really good alternatives around - I especially like EditPad and
    Notepad+, both of which are linked on
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm.

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

    "Jim Eshelman" wrote:

    > Whimpie wrote:
    > > I have a old Windows 95 someone was going to throw out. I took it to
    > > play with,see what makes it tick,and look around inside it. I hooked
    > > it up and it works pretty good,so I don't want to do anything to ruin
    > > it. A little problem I have is when I try and spy on some files I get
    > > a message, "Windows cannot find NOTEPAD.EXE" So I cannot open some
    > > files. Can someone help me out with this.
    >
    > You should be able to restore NOTEPAD.EXE off of the CD. However, you might
    > also want to install a Notepad substitute - a light-weight program that
    > doesn't have Notepad's particular filesize (and other) limitations. There
    > are a lot of really good alternatives around - I especially like EditPad and
    > Notepad+, both of which are linked on
    > http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
    > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
    >
    > Thank You Jim.
    Found a lot of good stuff there.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Jim Eshelman" wrote:

    > Whimpie wrote:
    > > I have a old Windows 95 someone was going to throw out. I took it to
    > > play with,see what makes it tick,and look around inside it. I hooked
    > > it up and it works pretty good,so I don't want to do anything to ruin
    > > it. A little problem I have is when I try and spy on some files I get
    > > a message, "Windows cannot find NOTEPAD.EXE" So I cannot open some
    > > files. Can someone help me out with this.
    >
    > You should be able to restore NOTEPAD.EXE off of the CD. However, you might
    > also want to install a Notepad substitute - a light-weight program that
    > doesn't have Notepad's particular filesize (and other) limitations. There
    > are a lot of really good alternatives around - I especially like EditPad and
    > Notepad+, both of which are linked on
    > http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
    > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
    >

    > Jim This is an update. I have Edit pad-lite, found out how to go to Options/Preferences/File type,Etc. Everything works fine.I can open .*txt,*.scp, *.ini and I am still playing. I just wanted to let you know. Great advise! Thanks again Whimpie
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Happy to help, Whimpie! Yeah, that's what I use - it's really good freeware!

    Enjoy!!!

    Whimpie wrote:
    > "Jim Eshelman" wrote:
    >
    >> Whimpie wrote:
    >>> I have a old Windows 95 someone was going to throw out. I took it to
    >>> play with,see what makes it tick,and look around inside it. I hooked
    >>> it up and it works pretty good,so I don't want to do anything to
    >>> ruin it. A little problem I have is when I try and spy on some
    >>> files I get a message, "Windows cannot find NOTEPAD.EXE" So I
    >>> cannot open some files. Can someone help me out with this.
    >>
    >> You should be able to restore NOTEPAD.EXE off of the CD. However,
    >> you might also want to install a Notepad substitute - a light-weight
    >> program that doesn't have Notepad's particular filesize (and other)
    >> limitations. There are a lot of really good alternatives around - I
    >> especially like EditPad and Notepad+, both of which are linked on
    >> http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
    >> Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    >> AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
    >>

    >> Jim This is an update. I have Edit pad-lite, found out how to go
    >> to Options/Preferences/File type,Etc. Everything works fine.I can
    >> open .*txt,*.scp, *.ini and I am still playing. I just wanted to let
    >> you know. Great advise! Thanks again Whimpie

Windows 95 Microsoft Windows