Transferring W95 to WXP

Want to move programs and files from my old computer (W95) to my new one
(MME)using a Belkin serial cable?
Thanks,

HAGGIS

"A Martin" <AMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Want to move programs and files from my old computer (W95) to my new one
> (MME)using a Belkin serial cable?
> Thanks,

have you looked at win XP's FAST (file and settings transfer wizard)

No I have not.
I'm trying to help a friend who has a new computer on the way. He has a
limited number of files and programs on his old computer (W95). A friend gave
him this cable......said it was what he used to make his transfer but can't
remember how he did it. (They are both senior novices) I thought it would be
easier to do it this way rather than trying to back the files up on floppies.
I will wait till he gets his new computer then try what you've suggested.
Thanks much,

> No I have not.
> I'm trying to help a friend who has a new computer on the way. He has a
> limited number of files and programs on his old computer (W95). A friend
> gave
> him this cable......said it was what he used to make his transfer but
> can't
> remember how he did it. (They are both senior novices) I thought it would
> be
> easier to do it this way rather than trying to back the files up on
> floppies.
> I will wait till he gets his new computer then try what you've suggested.
> Thanks much,
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "A Martin" <AMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Want to move programs and files from my old computer (W95) to my new
>> > one
>> > (MME)using a Belkin serial cable?
>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> have you looked at win XP's FAST (file and settings transfer wizard)

you can do some reading here if you want to know more about it

http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

"A Martin" <AMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Want to move programs and files from my old computer (W95) to my new one
>(MME)using a Belkin serial cable?
>Thanks,

1. Moving any quantity of data over serial cable will give you an
entirely new idea as to the real meaning of the word "slow". If you
want to do this type of transfer get a cable and transfer software
that works using parallel ports - at least 8 times faster than serial
but still very slow.

2. Data files and configuration settings can be moved quite easily
using the Windows XP F.A.S.T.W. utility.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

3. Installed programs cannot be moved for two reasons:
- Very often they require files that are put into the \Windows folder
as part of the install process.
- They usually generate registry entries as part of the install
process that are required to run the program.

A simple network (using a crossover cable) would be much faster for
the data transfer than either serial or parallel cables. Another
option would be to remove the hard drive from the Windows 95 machine
and connect it temporarily as a second hard drive in the Windows XP
machine then use Windows Explorer to locate and copy the desired files
to the Windows XP hard drive.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

This looks like a fairly comprehensive description of the process:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpdcc9i.htm
--
Jeff Richards