Upgrading to Windows 2000 Problem

I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All I
keep getting is this:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.

E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
anybody know what the problem could be?

I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says the
product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go figure.

Thanks,

Larry
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows 2000 problem

    "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
    > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
    > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
    > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All
    > keep getting is this:
    >
    > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
    > unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
    >
    > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
    > anybody know what the problem could be?
    >
    > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
    > the
    > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
    > figure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Larry

    which version of 2000?

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

    Sorry, I knew when I hit post that I failed to put that. It is Windows 2000
    Professional. I knew that Windows 2000 Server would not work. The Help/About
    and the startup screen clearly shows Windows 95 as the operating system, and
    there is nothing on the net about this being a problem for 95 to 2k. The
    computer is a Dell laptop, so it probably has never been updated with any
    service packs from 95. I wander if this might help?

    "Haggis" wrote:

    > "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
    > > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
    > > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
    > > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All
    > > keep getting is this:
    > >
    > > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
    > > unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
    > > The system cannot find the file specified.
    > >
    > > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
    > > anybody know what the problem could be?
    > >
    > > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
    > > the
    > > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
    > > figure.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Larry
    > >

    > which version of 2000?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > Sorry, I knew when I hit post that I failed to put that. It is Windows
    > 2000
    > Professional. I knew that Windows 2000 Server would not work. The
    > Help/About
    > and the startup screen clearly shows Windows 95 as the operating system,
    > and
    > there is nothing on the net about this being a problem for 95 to 2k. The
    > computer is a Dell laptop, so it probably has never been updated with any
    > service packs from 95. I wander if this might help?
    >

    > "Haggis" wrote:
    >

    >> "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
    >> > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but
    >> > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a
    >> > stand
    >> > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing.
    >> > All
    >> > keep getting is this:
    >> >
    >> > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup
    >> > was
    >> > unable to load the file
    >> > E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
    >> > The system cannot find the file specified.
    >> >
    >> > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also.
    >> > Does
    >> > anybody know what the problem could be?
    >> >
    >> > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
    >> > the
    >> > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
    >> > figure.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Larry
    >> >

    >> which version of 2000?
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

    that could be ...I don't have any more specific knowledge to give ...but you
    might find something here

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/win9xupgrd.htm

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows