Upgrading to Windows 2000 Problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 8, 2005 1:35:03 PM

I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All I
keep getting is this:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.

E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
anybody know what the problem could be?

I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says the
product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go figure.

Thanks,

Larry
March 9, 2005 11:16:55 AM

"Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
> finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
> can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
> alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All
> keep getting is this:
>
> The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
> unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
>
> E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
> anybody know what the problem could be?
>
> I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
> the
> product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
> figure.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

which version of 2000?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141
March 9, 2005 6:19:04 PM

Sorry, I knew when I hit post that I failed to put that. It is Windows 2000
Professional. I knew that Windows 2000 Server would not work. The Help/About
and the startup screen clearly shows Windows 95 as the operating system, and
there is nothing on the net about this being a problem for 95 to 2k. The
computer is a Dell laptop, so it probably has never been updated with any
service packs from 95. I wander if this might help?

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
> > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
> > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
> > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All
> > keep getting is this:
> >
> > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
> > unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
> > The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
> > anybody know what the problem could be?
> >
> > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
> > the
> > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
> > figure.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Larry
> >

> which version of 2000?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

March 11, 2005 12:33:18 PM

> Sorry, I knew when I hit post that I failed to put that. It is Windows
> 2000
> Professional. I knew that Windows 2000 Server would not work. The
> Help/About
> and the startup screen clearly shows Windows 95 as the operating system,
> and
> there is nothing on the net about this being a problem for 95 to 2k. The
> computer is a Dell laptop, so it probably has never been updated with any
> service packs from 95. I wander if this might help?
>

> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
>> > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but
>> > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a
>> > stand
>> > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing.
>> > All
>> > keep getting is this:
>> >
>> > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup
>> > was
>> > unable to load the file
>> > E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
>> > The system cannot find the file specified.
>> >
>> > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also.
>> > Does
>> > anybody know what the problem could be?
>> >
>> > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
>> > the
>> > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
>> > figure.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Larry
>> >

>> which version of 2000?
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

that could be ...I don't have any more specific knowledge to give ...but you
might find something here

http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/win9x...
!