  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 8, 2005 1:35:03 PM

I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All I
keep getting is this:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.

E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
anybody know what the problem could be?

I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says the
product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go figure.

Thanks,

Larry

More about : upgrading windows 2000 problem

March 9, 2005 11:16:55 AM

"Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
> finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
> can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
> alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All
> keep getting is this:
>
> The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
> unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
>
> E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
> anybody know what the problem could be?
>
> I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
> the
> product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
> figure.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

which version of 2000?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141
March 9, 2005 6:19:04 PM

Sorry, I knew when I hit post that I failed to put that. It is Windows 2000
Professional. I knew that Windows 2000 Server would not work. The Help/About
and the startup screen clearly shows Windows 95 as the operating system, and
there is nothing on the net about this being a problem for 95 to 2k. The
computer is a Dell laptop, so it probably has never been updated with any
service packs from 95. I wander if this might help?

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
> > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but I
> > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a stand
> > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing. All
> > keep getting is this:
> >
> > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was
> > unable to load the file E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
> > The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also. Does
> > anybody know what the problem could be?
> >
> > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
> > the
> > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
> > figure.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Larry
> >

> which version of 2000?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

March 11, 2005 12:33:18 PM

> Sorry, I knew when I hit post that I failed to put that. It is Windows
> 2000
> Professional. I knew that Windows 2000 Server would not work. The
> Help/About
> and the startup screen clearly shows Windows 95 as the operating system,
> and
> there is nothing on the net about this being a problem for 95 to 2k. The
> computer is a Dell laptop, so it probably has never been updated with any
> service packs from 95. I wander if this might help?
>

> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "Larry" <Larry @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have searched everywhere for the answer to my problem, but all I keep
>> > finding is that this error occurs from Windows ME to Win 2k or XP, but
>> > can't find anything from 95 to 2K. I can install Windows 2000 as a
>> > stand
>> > alone on another drive, but can't get it to upgrade over the existing.
>> > All
>> > keep getting is this:
>> >
>> > The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup
>> > was
>> > unable to load the file
>> > E:\windows\upgdlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
>> > The system cannot find the file specified.
>> >
>> > E is the cd drive with the upgrade disc in. The file is there also.
>> > Does
>> > anybody know what the problem could be?
>> >
>> > I tried to use the 2 free email support via microsoft site, but it says
>> > the
>> > product id does not match the system chosen, which is not true, so go
>> > figure.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Larry
>> >

>> which version of 2000?
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=203141

that could be ...I don't have any more specific knowledge to give ...but you
might find something here

http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/win9x...