Setting up a VPN for a small Biz using static DSL

I'd like to VPN to a small biz (static ip dsl 768kb) from a residence
(cable modem). I'm under the impression that I would need to register
a domain (e.g. tunnel.[nameofbiz].com]. I suppose I could just use
the IP though. Once I have the static DSL IP in place, do I need
additional hardware? What is recommended for VPN software?

Thanks,

jpw

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Although it sometimes might impress prospective customers of
your business, you don't have to have a domain for the sake of
making a VPN work. Not necessary at all.

On the other hand, if the IP on the VPN server keeps changing, it will
be pretty hard to connect unless you have some way of knowing what
it is.

There are several ways to do this. How quickly do you need to access
that remote business? You could start by trying a dynamic DNS
service with the VPN router, like dyndns.org. That works kind of like
a poor man's DNS service, but just for the router. It would allow you
to, for example, contact your router by connecting to:
myrouter.mybiz.dyndns.org (Example only)

These days, many brands of VPN firewalls and routers support Dynamic
DNS services. I myself prefer Zywall VPN/Firewalls, as they generally
very reliable and excellent value for the money. I also like
Netscreen and Sonicwall, but they can start to get expensive.

What kind of traffic are you going to pass? Will you be copying files?
Looking at web pages? 768kb is a bit slow, especially if you're
talking about ADSL with its lower upload rates. If that's the case,
and you can't get a faster line, you could find that you'll need all
the speed you can get. In this case

I suggest avoiding Windows for software and using SSH Sentinel
or Safenet SoftRemote. Windows IPSEC client is very tough to confiugre
without guidance and not fun to troubleshoot either. A legitimate copy
of Sentinel 1.3.2.2 can be found free on the Internet.

Dave

On 24 Jun 2004 15:26:03 -0700, jwilson@exeter.edu (John Wilson) wrote:

>I'd like to VPN to a small biz (static ip dsl 768kb) from a residence
>(cable modem). I'm under the impression that I would need to register
>a domain (e.g. tunnel.[nameofbiz].com]. I suppose I could just use
>the IP though. Once I have the static DSL IP in place, do I need
>additional hardware? What is recommended for VPN software?
>
>Thanks,
>
>jpw

Dave,

I have confirmed it *will* be a *static* ip. Given this new
information, do you have any thing else to add? Also, the main
purpose of the VPN will be for an offsite accountant to help do "the
books". Given that, how would you evaluate the 768kb pipe? Do you
think it will be pretty cumbersome? The account would be using
Quickbooks from home and VPNing in to access the QB files on our
network.

Thanks for your help,

jpw

Dave <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote in message news:<ub7nd0pe4pkuu2rn47cneb5d68er60fuuo@4ax.com>...
> Although it sometimes might impress prospective customers of
> your business, you don't have to have a domain for the sake of
> making a VPN work. Not necessary at all.
>
> On the other hand, if the IP on the VPN server keeps changing, it will
> be pretty hard to connect unless you have some way of knowing what
> it is.
>
> There are several ways to do this. How quickly do you need to access
> that remote business? You could start by trying a dynamic DNS
> service with the VPN router, like dyndns.org. That works kind of like
> a poor man's DNS service, but just for the router. It would allow you
> to, for example, contact your router by connecting to:
> myrouter.mybiz.dyndns.org (Example only)
>
> These days, many brands of VPN firewalls and routers support Dynamic
> DNS services. I myself prefer Zywall VPN/Firewalls, as they generally
> very reliable and excellent value for the money. I also like
> Netscreen and Sonicwall, but they can start to get expensive.
>
> What kind of traffic are you going to pass? Will you be copying files?
> Looking at web pages? 768kb is a bit slow, especially if you're
> talking about ADSL with its lower upload rates. If that's the case,
> and you can't get a faster line, you could find that you'll need all
> the speed you can get. In this case
>
> I suggest avoiding Windows for software and using SSH Sentinel
> or Safenet SoftRemote. Windows IPSEC client is very tough to confiugre
> without guidance and not fun to troubleshoot either. A legitimate copy
> of Sentinel 1.3.2.2 can be found free on the Internet.
>

> Dave
>

> On 24 Jun 2004 15:26:03 -0700, jwilson@exeter.edu (John Wilson) wrote:
>
> >I'd like to VPN to a small biz (static ip dsl 768kb) from a residence
> >(cable modem). I'm under the impression that I would need to register
> >a domain (e.g. tunnel.[nameofbiz].com]. I suppose I could just use
> >the IP though. Once I have the static DSL IP in place, do I need
> >additional hardware? What is recommended for VPN software?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >jpw

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

John:

That's a good first step. Well, if you're using Quickbooks (we use it
here, though I'm looking for a replacement for it), then it will
likely be very slow. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told
trying to share a QB file over 1.5 MB ADSL line was painfully slow.

Don't suppose that line is SDSL is it? Some good upstream speed
would at least ease the pain somewhat. If you have no other choice
and your hands are tied, at least try to use VPN firewalls or routers
on each side with have co-processors to accelerate the encryption
process. Otherwise, things will be even slower.

You're certainly welcome. That's what I'm here for. That, and to
eat blueberry pies.

Dave