baffled!!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 11, 2005 10:21:02 PM

My friend's grandson was playing a game on grandpa's computer..cd game...and
he hit something on the keyboard and now....nothing. turn it on and it powers
up and then it says "loading OS" then "starting windows 95" then the starting
"95" logo screen pops up and just as fast disappears and it goes to a C:
prompt. I can hit F8 and get the choses of normal, bootlogged, etc...no
matter which one I push, it goes back to c: prompt. I cannot format or fdisk,
no matter what I try ot says wrong version o DOS. I cant run a 98 floppy or
disk, the cd rom doesnt seem to be reading at all. and I have it so it boots
from there.
I am at a stand still...can anyone help out??
thanks!!!! I will be waiting!!

More about : baffled

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:06:03 AM

Boot up and when you get to the C: prompt (DOS), type EXIT and press Enter.

If that does not reboot you to Windows, at the C: prompt (DOS), type the following
and press Enter:

win /wx

(That's W I N space / W X )

If that does not fix it, rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files -
Type the following and press Enter after each line:
CD\
REN autoexec.bat autoexec.ba_
REN config.sys config.sy_

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

Post back with your results.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My friend's grandson was playing a game on grandpa's computer..cd game...and
> he hit something on the keyboard and now....nothing. turn it on and it powers
> up and then it says "loading OS" then "starting windows 95" then the starting
> "95" logo screen pops up and just as fast disappears and it goes to a C:
> prompt. I can hit F8 and get the choses of normal, bootlogged, etc...no
> matter which one I push, it goes back to c: prompt. I cannot format or fdisk,
> no matter what I try ot says wrong version o DOS. I cant run a 98 floppy or
> disk, the cd rom doesnt seem to be reading at all. and I have it so it boots
> from there.
> I am at a stand still...can anyone help out??
> thanks!!!! I will be waiting!!
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:06:04 AM

ok...I will give it a try tomorrow when I go back there. so why is it doing
this? seems like you have an idea...it just seems like its locked out of
windows or soomething...I would love to hear what you think if you have the
time...thanks and I will for sure let you know! breezyyb

"glee" wrote:

> Boot up and when you get to the C: prompt (DOS), type EXIT and press Enter.
>
> If that does not reboot you to Windows, at the C: prompt (DOS), type the following
> and press Enter:
>
> win /wx
>
> (That's W I N space / W X )
>
> If that does not fix it, rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files -
> Type the following and press Enter after each line:
> CD\
> REN autoexec.bat autoexec.ba_
> REN config.sys config.sy_
>
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.
>
> Post back with your results.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

March 12, 2005 2:06:04 AM

thanks, I will sure give this things a try, do you have any clue as to why
its doing what its doing?? I would love to hear what you (or anyone else)
thinks about this. because it just seems like its locked out of windows or
something!!
give me some clues!!!
I'll let ya know what happenes tomorrow!! thanks

"glee" wrote:

> Boot up and when you get to the C: prompt (DOS), type EXIT and press Enter.
>
> If that does not reboot you to Windows, at the C: prompt (DOS), type the following
> and press Enter:
>
> win /wx
>
> (That's W I N space / W X )
>
> If that does not fix it, rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files -
> Type the following and press Enter after each line:
> CD\
> REN autoexec.bat autoexec.ba_
> REN config.sys config.sy_
>
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.
>
> Post back with your results.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:00:02 AM

Cannot Exit MS-DOS Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=151717

Cannot Quit MS-DOS Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130448

Description of Restarting Computer in MS-DOS Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=138996
--

> thanks, I will sure give this things a try, do you have any clue as to why
> its doing what its doing?? I would love to hear what you (or anyone else)
> thinks about this. because it just seems like its locked out of windows or
> something!!
> give me some clues!!!
> I'll let ya know what happenes tomorrow!! thanks
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Boot up and when you get to the C: prompt (DOS), type EXIT and press Enter.
> >
> > If that does not reboot you to Windows, at the C: prompt (DOS), type the
following
> > and press Enter:
> >
> > win /wx
> >
> > (That's W I N space / W X )
> >
> > If that does not fix it, rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files -
> > Type the following and press Enter after each line:
> > CD\
> > REN autoexec.bat autoexec.ba_
> > REN config.sys config.sy_
> >
> > Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.
> >
> > Post back with your results.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:31:07 AM

thank you very much. It sounds like this is the problem, I am heading out
now to grandpas house and I AM going to fix his computer!!!
I will let you know...thanks again for your time!!
breezyyb
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:57:10 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:21:02 -0800, "breezyyb"

>My friend's grandson was playing a game on grandpa's computer..cd game...and
>he hit something on the keyboard and now....nothing. turn it on and it powers
>up and then it says "loading OS" then "starting windows 95" then the starting
>"95" logo screen pops up and just as fast disappears and it goes to a C:
>prompt. I can hit F8 and get the choses of normal, bootlogged, etc...no
>matter which one I push, it goes back to c: prompt.

OK. Several things can cause that.

>I cannot format or fdisk

Just as well - those would make things *considerably* worse

> I am at a stand still...can anyone help out??
> thanks!!!! I will be waiting!!

From that C: prompt, enter the following command and tell us if it
says "no file found", or if the file size is < 1000 bytes:

DIR C:\MSDOS.SYS /A

Next, enter these commands and tell us if each finds any files:

DIR C:\WINBOOT.INI /A

DIR C:\*.W40 /A

DIR C:\*.WOS /A

Next, enter these commands and tell us if no file(s) found:

DIR C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /A

DIR C:\WINDOWS\*.* /A

Those answers will give us something to go on ;-)

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:31:07 PM

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:
> From that C: prompt, enter the following command and tell us if it
> says "no file found", or if the file size is < 1000 bytes:
>
> DIR C:\MSDOS.SYS /A
>
> Next, enter these commands and tell us if each finds any files:
>
> DIR C:\WINBOOT.INI /A
>
> DIR C:\*.W40 /A
>
> DIR C:\*.WOS /A
>
> Next, enter these commands and tell us if no file(s) found:
>
> DIR C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /A
>
> DIR C:\WINDOWS\*.* /A
>
> Those answers will give us something to go on ;-)

This is turning out to be a bad thing!!
1st- typing "exit" at the C: prompt then pressing enter got
no results, nor did typing
"win /wx"
..none of the other things worked either. when I tried to REN the
autoexec.bat and the config.sys, it came up saying, basically, that no such
file exsists.
now, to the last things that were suggested that I try...
here are the results:
DIR C:\WINBOOT.INI /A
1 FILE 6 BYTES
as for the other things you had me type in...they all came back with "FILE
NOT FOUND"
when typing anything else,i.g.fdisk,formatetc, I generally got "wrong
version of MS-DOS"

I hope someone will have some solution to this mess, because we are ready
to toss the thingk out the window soon!!
I am eagerly waiting for youe ideas!! and thanks!!
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:50:12 PM

Start the computer and type the following two lines. Then reboot.

c:\windows\command\attrib -h -s -r c:\winboot.ini
rename c:\winboot.ini winboot.bak

Ben

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FFFF039-C9D3-4DFD-91DD-0B24AE39EFF9@microsoft.com...

> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:
> > From that C: prompt, enter the following command and tell us if it
> > says "no file found", or if the file size is < 1000 bytes:
> >
> > DIR C:\MSDOS.SYS /A
> >
> > Next, enter these commands and tell us if each finds any files:
> >
> > DIR C:\WINBOOT.INI /A
> >
> > DIR C:\*.W40 /A
> >
> > DIR C:\*.WOS /A
> >
> > Next, enter these commands and tell us if no file(s) found:
> >
> > DIR C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /A
> >
> > DIR C:\WINDOWS\*.* /A
> >
> > Those answers will give us something to go on ;-)

> This is turning out to be a bad thing!!
> 1st- typing "exit" at the C: prompt then pressing enter got
> no results, nor did typing
> "win /wx"
> ..none of the other things worked either. when I tried to REN the
> autoexec.bat and the config.sys, it came up saying, basically, that no such
> file exsists.
> now, to the last things that were suggested that I try...
> here are the results:
> DIR C:\WINBOOT.INI /A
> 1 FILE 6 BYTES
> as for the other things you had me type in...they all came back with "FILE
> NOT FOUND"
> when typing anything else,i.g.fdisk,formatetc, I generally got "wrong
> version of MS-DOS"
>
> I hope someone will have some solution to this mess, because we are ready
> to toss the thingk out the window soon!!
> I am eagerly waiting for youe ideas!! and thanks!!

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:17:07 AM

Thanks for responding...I will give that a try and I'll post what happens,
if thats ok...
If all else fails, can I somhow format the computer and just reinstall
his windows 95? that is...IF the computer will let me do that, it always
says, wrong version of DOS whenever I try anything. he doesnt have the
original disks.
thanks again for your time!

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Start the computer and type the following two lines. Then reboot.
>
> c:\windows\command\attrib -h -s -r c:\winboot.ini
> rename c:\winboot.ini winboot.bak

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:09:33 PM

Formatting should be possible by starting the computer with a boot
floppy. If you are reinstalling from the CD drive, make sure you
can access it before proceeding.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Ben

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:426690CC-8FEA-4A60-BC14-0DBD23B81B9E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for responding...I will give that a try and I'll post what happens,
> if thats ok...
> If all else fails, can I somhow format the computer and just reinstall
> his windows 95? that is...IF the computer will let me do that, it always
> says, wrong version of DOS whenever I try anything. he doesnt have the
> original disks.
> thanks again for your time!
>

> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > Start the computer and type the following two lines. Then reboot.
> >
> > c:\windows\command\attrib -h -s -r c:\winboot.ini
> > rename c:\winboot.ini winboot.bak

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:35:03 PM

When I try to format from a floppy, it says wrong version of DOS. I can get
to the page where you can chose safe mode, etc, but it doesnt change anything
if I chose safe mode, command prompt...whichever I chose, it just brings me
to the C: prompt. I can bring up the C: dir but I cant tap into anything on
that drive. also, I the CD drive doesnt seem to want to read a disk. is there
any other way to format?
thanks

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Formatting should be possible by starting the computer with a boot
> floppy. If you are reinstalling from the CD drive, make sure you
> can access it before proceeding.
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
>
> Ben

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:13:10 PM

If the startup menu takes you to the C:\ prompt, you are probably booting from
the hard drive. Start the computer and watch the screen closely for something
like "Press delete for setup". Press the appropriate key, find "Boot Sequence"
and make sure it is set to "A:, C:". Be sure to save any changes when exiting.
Then start the computer from the boot floppy. Be sure you can access the CD
drive before formatting.

Ben

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41C51047-92D9-4B33-9D69-0B087BAB6586@microsoft.com...
> When I try to format from a floppy, it says wrong version of DOS. I can get
> to the page where you can chose safe mode, etc, but it doesnt change anything
> if I chose safe mode, command prompt...whichever I chose, it just brings me
> to the C: prompt. I can bring up the C: dir but I cant tap into anything on
> that drive. also, I the CD drive doesnt seem to want to read a disk. is there
> any other way to format?
> thanks
>
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > Formatting should be possible by starting the computer with a boot
> > floppy. If you are reinstalling from the CD drive, make sure you
> > can access it before proceeding.
> >
> > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
> >
> > Ben

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:49:04 PM

I have done that, as it sits now, it should be booting up from a floppy, and
it reads the floppy, but I get basically,"wrong version of DOS". I went to
bootdisk.com and got the startup disk, hopefully it will help some. also, I
cannot seem to get it to read any CD at all, light comes on but nothing
happens, and a CD games was being played when alll of this happened.
hopefully, the new floppy will do something. formating it and starting over
IS an option if I can get to that point, which I should be able to do with
this new floopy, correct?

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> If the startup menu takes you to the C:\ prompt, you are probably booting from
> the hard drive. Start the computer and watch the screen closely for something
> like "Press delete for setup". Press the appropriate key, find "Boot Sequence"
> and make sure it is set to "A:, C:". Be sure to save any changes when exiting.
> Then start the computer from the boot floppy. Be sure you can access the CD
> drive before formatting.
>
> Ben
>
> "breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41C51047-92D9-4B33-9D69-0B087BAB6586@microsoft.com...
> > When I try to format from a floppy, it says wrong version of DOS. I can get
> > to the page where you can chose safe mode, etc, but it doesnt change anything
> > if I chose safe mode, command prompt...whichever I chose, it just brings me
> > to the C: prompt. I can bring up the C: dir but I cant tap into anything on
> > that drive. also, I the CD drive doesnt seem to want to read a disk. is there
> > any other way to format?
> > thanks
> >
> > "Ben Myers" wrote:
> >
> > > Formatting should be possible by starting the computer with a boot
> > > floppy. If you are reinstalling from the CD drive, make sure you
> > > can access it before proceeding.
> > >
> > > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
> > >
> > > Ben

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:23:39 AM

Most computers briefly check the floppy and CD drives during bootup, but
this is not the same as reading or booting from the drives. If you are getting
a C:\ prompt from the startup menu, you are probably booting from the hard
drive. The boot disks created by the downloads at http://bootdisk.com can
be used to install Windows on most computers, but you should make sure
you can access the CD drive before formatting. Also, please confirm that
the boot sequence is set to "A:, C:".

Ben

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66326076-FD3B-479C-A8C6-F68B1D502E78@microsoft.com...
> I have done that, as it sits now, it should be booting up from a floppy, and
> it reads the floppy, but I get basically,"wrong version of DOS". I went to
> bootdisk.com and got the startup disk, hopefully it will help some. also, I
> cannot seem to get it to read any CD at all, light comes on but nothing
> happens, and a CD games was being played when alll of this happened.
> hopefully, the new floppy will do something. formating it and starting over
> IS an option if I can get to that point, which I should be able to do with
> this new floopy, correct?
>
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > If the startup menu takes you to the C:\ prompt, you are probably booting from
> > the hard drive. Start the computer and watch the screen closely for something
> > like "Press delete for setup". Press the appropriate key, find "Boot Sequence"
> > and make sure it is set to "A:, C:". Be sure to save any changes when exiting.
> > Then start the computer from the boot floppy. Be sure you can access the CD
> > drive before formatting.
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41C51047-92D9-4B33-9D69-0B087BAB6586@microsoft.com...
> > > When I try to format from a floppy, it says wrong version of DOS. I can get
> > > to the page where you can chose safe mode, etc, but it doesnt change anything
> > > if I chose safe mode, command prompt...whichever I chose, it just brings me
> > > to the C: prompt. I can bring up the C: dir but I cant tap into anything on
> > > that drive. also, I the CD drive doesnt seem to want to read a disk. is there
> > > any other way to format?
> > > thanks

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:13:02 PM

I will try that, and I am hoping this floppy will do the trick to at least
get me moving forward. But I still cant get it to read the CD drive and I
dont know why. the light goes on and it seems to be running a disk but
nothing happens from there. I downloaded the 95 boot disk, should I add
something to it for the CD drive and if so, what?
thanks pennie

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Most computers briefly check the floppy and CD drives during bootup, but
> this is not the same as reading or booting from the drives. If you are getting
> a C:\ prompt from the startup menu, you are probably booting from the hard
> drive. The boot disks created by the downloads at http://bootdisk.com can
> be used to install Windows on most computers, but you should make sure
> you can access the CD drive before formatting. Also, please confirm that
> the boot sequence is set to "A:, C:".
>
> Ben
>
> "breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66326076-FD3B-479C-A8C6-F68B1D502E78@microsoft.com...
> > I have done that, as it sits now, it should be booting up from a floppy, and
> > it reads the floppy, but I get basically,"wrong version of DOS". I went to
> > bootdisk.com and got the startup disk, hopefully it will help some. also, I
> > cannot seem to get it to read any CD at all, light comes on but nothing
> > happens, and a CD games was being played when alll of this happened.
> > hopefully, the new floppy will do something. formating it and starting over
> > IS an option if I can get to that point, which I should be able to do with
> > this new floopy, correct?
> >
> > "Ben Myers" wrote:
> >
> > > If the startup menu takes you to the C:\ prompt, you are probably booting from
> > > the hard drive. Start the computer and watch the screen closely for something
> > > like "Press delete for setup". Press the appropriate key, find "Boot Sequence"
> > > and make sure it is set to "A:, C:". Be sure to save any changes when exiting.
> > > Then start the computer from the boot floppy. Be sure you can access the CD
> > > drive before formatting.
> > >
> > > Ben

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:42:59 PM

If the boot disk file is on the computer you are using now, double-click it.
You will be prompted for a floppy and the program should create a boot
disk capable of accessing the CD drive on the problem computer. Also,
please confirm that the boot sequence on the problem computer is set to
"A:, C:".

Ben

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AA7C9AF-7AAA-406C-999E-19CD01D5D6F1@microsoft.com...
> I will try that, and I am hoping this floppy will do the trick to at least
> get me moving forward. But I still cant get it to read the CD drive and I
> dont know why. the light goes on and it seems to be running a disk but
> nothing happens from there. I downloaded the 95 boot disk, should I add
> something to it for the CD drive and if so, what?
> thanks pennie
>
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > Most computers briefly check the floppy and CD drives during bootup, but
> > this is not the same as reading or booting from the drives. If you are getting
> > a C:\ prompt from the startup menu, you are probably booting from the hard
> > drive. The boot disks created by the downloads at http://bootdisk.com can
> > be used to install Windows on most computers, but you should make sure
> > you can access the CD drive before formatting. Also, please confirm that
> > the boot sequence is set to "A:, C:".
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66326076-FD3B-479C-A8C6-F68B1D502E78@microsoft.com...
> > > I have done that, as it sits now, it should be booting up from a floppy, and
> > > it reads the floppy, but I get basically,"wrong version of DOS". I went to
> > > bootdisk.com and got the startup disk, hopefully it will help some. also, I
> > > cannot seem to get it to read any CD at all, light comes on but nothing
> > > happens, and a CD games was being played when alll of this happened.
> > > hopefully, the new floppy will do something. formating it and starting over
> > > IS an option if I can get to that point, which I should be able to do with
> > > this new floopy, correct?

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:15:03 PM

oh boy, I did it now....
I got nowhere using ANY of the things that have been suggested, but I with
a floppy I got it to fdisk, that was a BIG mistake I think, because now I
get, no operating system. BUT, there still seems to be another drive, D:, but
there isnt anything on that at all that is worth anything.
so is it shot now or is there hope? help me please
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:46:12 PM

If you are trying to start over from scratch, try running "setup" from
your Windows 95 CD. Please note that the Windows 95 boot disks
from www.bootdisk.com typically use "R:" as the drive letter for the
CD drive. If you are not sure how the hard drive is configured, type
"fdisk /status" and repost with the results. I suggest you make sure

"breezyyb" <breezyyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:893E33E2-DD74-45EA-A57A-5B007DDA20FB@microsoft.com...
> oh boy, I did it now....
> I got nowhere using ANY of the things that have been suggested, but I with
> a floppy I got it to fdisk, that was a BIG mistake I think, because now I
> get, no operating system. BUT, there still seems to be another drive, D:, but
> there isnt anything on that at all that is worth anything.
> so is it shot now or is there hope? help me please
April 1, 2005 5:11:02 AM

This may be a very simplistic reply but is the machine set to boot from the
CDROM and your grandson has left the game disk in the drive. Remove the CD
and reboot would be the first thing i would do
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:23:02 AM

haha....thanks Garth, that would have been a gas huh?? But anyway, I just
want to say thanks for all your guys help here, I have gotten the computer
fdisked and formatted and almost to the point of being able to put the new OS
in, but now it seems that the CD drive doesnt want to work anymore. so I have
to take it apart and slam in another one, which shouldn't be a problem. Now I
just have to figure out how to get this cover off...I am confused at this
one...
but I finally got to bring this thing back to my house now, so it was
easier to do what you all had told me and be able to go back and re-read the
"instructions".
its an older packard Bell multimedia J180....and honestly, if anyone can
tell me how to get this cover off I will personally make you a homecooked
supper!!
I have another question, but I will start a different post because it
pretains to another computer...
But again, THANK YOU for your help and patience, it was greatly
appreciated and I have learned ALOT that I didnt know before. and thats a
good thing.

"Gareth" wrote:

> This may be a very simplistic reply but is the machine set to boot from the
> CDROM and your grandson has left the game disk in the drive. Remove the CD
> and reboot would be the first thing i would do
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 11:01:03 AM

ok..Now I have gotten the case open,(can you believe someone had superglued
the screws in!!)...I got a new CD rom in and that works fine. I can get going
with the installation, then it tells me that there still is another
application of windows and I have to exit setup and run setup from there. but
I dont have any clue as to where I am suppose to find this other app. I have
fdisked and formatted every drive. and when I type fdisk /status it tells me
there are 2 partioned drives and in the column for %free its blank and in the
colum for usage it says 100%. so that would mean that its still full right?
another time it said something about compressed drives. I would have to get
in and get the exact wording of that if youd like. what am I doing wrong??
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:08:08 PM

Before we start giving possibly wrong advice, please get the exact error
messages....any message on-screen needs to be copied exactly and in its entirety. A
pain, I know, but....

fdisk /status will show Usage 100% if you have partitioned all the space on the
drive....it doesn't mean there are any files or operating systems on the drive, only
that the entire drive space has been made into partitions. If the Usage was less
than 100%, that would mean you did not partition all of the drive, but instead left
some "unallocated space".
--
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

> ok..Now I have gotten the case open,(can you believe someone had superglued
> the screws in!!)...I got a new CD rom in and that works fine. I can get going
> with the installation, then it tells me that there still is another
> application of windows and I have to exit setup and run setup from there. but
> I dont have any clue as to where I am suppose to find this other app. I have
> fdisked and formatted every drive. and when I type fdisk /status it tells me
> there are 2 partioned drives and in the column for %free its blank and in the
> colum for usage it says 100%. so that would mean that its still full right?
> another time it said something about compressed drives. I would have to get
> in and get the exact wording of that if youd like. what am I doing wrong??

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:14:57 PM

If you have plenty of disk space, I suggest you create a "c:\win95" directory
on the hard drive and copy the contents of the "Win95" directory of the
CD to it. You can then restart the computer without the CD drivers and
run setup from the hard drive. Also, be sure you are starting the computer
with a DOS version that is compatible with the version of Windows you
are installing. You can bypass the CD drivers by tapping the F8 key
during bootup and selecting "Safe mode Command Prompt".

!