VCAS[DLL]: ERROR

Well I got Win 95 reloaded after reformatting my hard drive. Now I get the
following during Windows 95 start up.
"velnit error. Hardware not responding."
"Can not initialize VCOS Hardware.
velnit[] returned an error
This may be due to:
1, Incorrect VE.DLL in path; Insure RR.OEM is in path.(Where do I go to do
that?)
2. hardware problem. Run vetest.exe to verify hardware. (Where do I go to do
that???)
3 answers Last reply
More about vcas error

    Sounds like you have an old AT&T computer, such as an old Globalyst. The files and
    references you mention in your post refer to the AT&T Roadrunner sound card that
    came installed with these computers. It is a proprietary sound card and IIRC may be
    a combo sound card/modem....I may be wrong about that, it's been a long time. BTW,
    you posted "velnit" which is incorrect....it is actually veinit with a capital "i"

    If you did not install Windows from the recovery CD for the AT&T computer, you will
    not have any of the necessary files or drivers for that sound card. Unless you can
    find them online somewhere (AT&T has been out of the computer business for a long
    time), you may have to remove the card and replace it with something not proprietary
    that has easily obtainable drivers.
    If you did use the disks that came with the computer, the sound card may be dead.
    If this suddenly happened when you formatted and reinstalled, I'd suspect that you
    did not use the OEM disks to do so.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "whozat" <whozat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well I got Win 95 reloaded after reformatting my hard drive. Now I get the
    > following during Windows 95 start up.
    > "velnit error. Hardware not responding."
    > "Can not initialize VCOS Hardware.
    > velnit[] returned an error
    > This may be due to:
    > 1, Incorrect VE.DLL in path; Insure RR.OEM is in path.(Where do I go to do
    > that?)
    > 2. hardware problem. Run vetest.exe to verify hardware. (Where do I go to do
    > that???)

    Your memory hasn't failed you.It's a Globalyst 380PC and I'm going to use it
    for my wife to write her book.
    I have all the original disks but the soundcard had been updated to a
    soundblaster PC 1128. I also have the disk for that piece.
    I believe that I must have a device conflict since you explained that to me.
    The problem I'm facing is my inexperience with Win 95 and MS-DOS. I started
    with Win-ME on my PC and quickly updated to Win XP-Pro.
    I'll try to get to the add hardware screen and reinstall the soundblaster
    drivers.
    Not 'til tomorrow though but I will re-post results.
    thanx

    "glee" wrote:

    > Sounds like you have an old AT&T computer, such as an old Globalyst. The files and
    > references you mention in your post refer to the AT&T Roadrunner sound card that
    > came installed with these computers. It is a proprietary sound card and IIRC may be
    > a combo sound card/modem....I may be wrong about that, it's been a long time. BTW,
    > you posted "velnit" which is incorrect....it is actually veinit with a capital "i"
    >
    > If you did not install Windows from the recovery CD for the AT&T computer, you will
    > not have any of the necessary files or drivers for that sound card. Unless you can
    > find them online somewhere (AT&T has been out of the computer business for a long
    > time), you may have to remove the card and replace it with something not proprietary
    > that has easily obtainable drivers.
    > If you did use the disks that came with the computer, the sound card may be dead.
    > If this suddenly happened when you formatted and reinstalled, I'd suspect that you
    > did not use the OEM disks to do so.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "whozat" <whozat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Well I got Win 95 reloaded after reformatting my hard drive. Now I get the
    > > following during Windows 95 start up.
    > > "velnit error. Hardware not responding."
    > > "Can not initialize VCOS Hardware.
    > > velnit[] returned an error
    > > This may be due to:
    > > 1, Incorrect VE.DLL in path; Insure RR.OEM is in path.(Where do I go to do
    > > that?)
    > > 2. hardware problem. Run vetest.exe to verify hardware. (Where do I go to do
    > > that???)

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Hold on.....if you have already replaced the sound card with a SoundBlaster, and
    have installed Windows with the original AT&T disks, you likely have an autoexec.bat
    and config .sys file that contain references to the now non-existent Roadrunner
    sound card. What you should do in that case is remove or remark out the references.
    See here for the references in those files that you would need to remove or remark
    out:
    http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/tech/hardware/sound/attroad.html

    To remove them, simply delete the lines in those files after opening the files with
    Notepad or Sysedit (Start>Run>Sysedit).
    To remark them out (safer), put the word REM followed by a space, at the beginning
    of each line you want to remark out. REM'ing a line causes it to not be read during
    startup.

    Be sure to save the changes when closing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, when
    you are done.
    --

    > Your memory hasn't failed you.It's a Globalyst 380PC and I'm going to use it
    > for my wife to write her book.
    > I have all the original disks but the soundcard had been updated to a
    > soundblaster PC 1128. I also have the disk for that piece.
    > I believe that I must have a device conflict since you explained that to me.
    > The problem I'm facing is my inexperience with Win 95 and MS-DOS. I started
    > with Win-ME on my PC and quickly updated to Win XP-Pro.
    > I'll try to get to the add hardware screen and reinstall the soundblaster
    > drivers.
    > Not 'til tomorrow though but I will re-post results.
    > thanx
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds like you have an old AT&T computer, such as an old Globalyst. The files
    and
    > > references you mention in your post refer to the AT&T Roadrunner sound card that
    > > came installed with these computers. It is a proprietary sound card and IIRC
    may be
    > > a combo sound card/modem....I may be wrong about that, it's been a long time.
    BTW,
    > > you posted "velnit" which is incorrect....it is actually veinit with a capital
    "i"

    > > If you did not install Windows from the recovery CD for the AT&T computer, you
    will
    > > not have any of the necessary files or drivers for that sound card. Unless you
    can
    > > find them online somewhere (AT&T has been out of the computer business for a
    long
    > > time), you may have to remove the card and replace it with something not
    proprietary
    > > that has easily obtainable drivers.
    > > If you did use the disks that came with the computer, the sound card may be
    dead.
    > > If this suddenly happened when you formatted and reinstalled, I'd suspect that
    you
    > > did not use the OEM disks to do so.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "whozat" <whozat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Well I got Win 95 reloaded after reformatting my hard drive. Now I get the
    > > > following during Windows 95 start up.
    > > > "velnit error. Hardware not responding."
    > > > "Can not initialize VCOS Hardware.
    > > > velnit[] returned an error
    > > > This may be due to:
    > > > 1, Incorrect VE.DLL in path; Insure RR.OEM is in path.(Where do I go to do
    > > > that?)
    > > > 2. hardware problem. Run vetest.exe to verify hardware. (Where do I go to do
    > > > that???)

Hardware DLL Windows