IS USB POSSIBLE WITH WIN95

Friends of mine have win95 machine that works fine for them, except that
they now need a usb port to download pictures from their recently acquired
digital camera..

Is it at all possible to have a usb port installed on a win95 machine?

As an alterative, are there any other suggestions on how to transfer
pictures from the camera to the computers hard drive?

The computer works fine for everything else they use it for, and they would
like to avoid the expense of a new machine.

Thanks
bill
2 answers Last reply
More about win95

    "Bill" <**bill@rollingstones.com> wrote:

    >Friends of mine have win95 machine that works fine for them, except that
    >they now need a usb port to download pictures from their recently acquired
    >digital camera..
    >
    >Is it at all possible to have a usb port installed on a win95 machine?
    >
    >As an alterative, are there any other suggestions on how to transfer
    >pictures from the camera to the computers hard drive?
    >
    >The computer works fine for everything else they use it for, and they would
    >like to avoid the expense of a new machine.
    >
    >Thanks
    >bill

    There are a few, a very few, instances where USB accessories have been
    made to work with Windows 95. But the overwhelming majority of
    attempts fail.

    There used to be a driver available from Canon that worked okay with
    some of their earliest USB products on Windows 95 and there were some
    reports of it also working with certain products from other companies
    but it has been years since I last used it. I do not have a download
    link and cannot even remember the file name but if you searched the
    Canon download archives for any references to Windows 95 and USB you
    might find something.

    Other than that the only solution is to have their digital camera
    images burned onto a CD. Many photo stores offer this service, for a
    price of course.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    If the camera uses removable media such as a CF card, a card reader for
    Windows 95 that supports the media should be much easier to find than USB.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Bill" <**bill@rollingstones.com> wrote in message
    > Friends of mine have win95 machine that works fine for them, except that
    > they now need a usb port to download pictures from their recently acquired
    > digital camera..
    >
    > Is it at all possible to have a usb port installed on a win95 machine?
    >
    > As an alterative, are there any other suggestions on how to transfer
    > pictures from the camera to the computers hard drive?
    >
    > The computer works fine for everything else they use it for, and they
    > would
    > like to avoid the expense of a new machine.
    >
    > Thanks
    > bill

USB Windows Product