IS USB POSSIBLE WITH WIN95

bill

Friends of mine have win95 machine that works fine for them, except that
they now need a usb port to download pictures from their recently acquired
digital camera..

Is it at all possible to have a usb port installed on a win95 machine?

As an alterative, are there any other suggestions on how to transfer
pictures from the camera to the computers hard drive?

The computer works fine for everything else they use it for, and they would
like to avoid the expense of a new machine.

Thanks
bill

"Bill" <**bill@rollingstones.com> wrote:

>Friends of mine have win95 machine that works fine for them, except that
>they now need a usb port to download pictures from their recently acquired
>digital camera..
>
>Is it at all possible to have a usb port installed on a win95 machine?
>
>As an alterative, are there any other suggestions on how to transfer
>pictures from the camera to the computers hard drive?
>
>The computer works fine for everything else they use it for, and they would
>like to avoid the expense of a new machine.
>
>Thanks
>bill

There are a few, a very few, instances where USB accessories have been
made to work with Windows 95. But the overwhelming majority of
attempts fail.

There used to be a driver available from Canon that worked okay with
some of their earliest USB products on Windows 95 and there were some
reports of it also working with certain products from other companies
but it has been years since I last used it. I do not have a download
link and cannot even remember the file name but if you searched the
Canon download archives for any references to Windows 95 and USB you
might find something.

Other than that the only solution is to have their digital camera
images burned onto a CD. Many photo stores offer this service, for a
price of course.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

If the camera uses removable media such as a CF card, a card reader for
Windows 95 that supports the media should be much easier to find than USB.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)