Is it my hardware or DOS?

Let me start by saing this is the closest to DOS I could find for a news
group, so I hope someone can help me. I have a computer that is running a
DOS program and DOS for the OS. This program controls car wash equipment as
well as all the entries. When the software tries to perform requests, beyond
the equipment control, it slows the equipment down. I am wondering if this
problem is caused by DOS or if I do not have enough resources in my computer.
It has a 366 Mhz processor and I believe 128 MB of RAM. If anyone can help
I would be appreciative.

Thank you in advance

Adam

"Car Wash Adam" <Car Wash Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Let me start by saing this is the closest to DOS I could find for a news
>group, so I hope someone can help me. I have a computer that is running a
>DOS program and DOS for the OS. This program controls car wash equipment as
>well as all the entries. When the software tries to perform requests, beyond
>the equipment control, it slows the equipment down. I am wondering if this
>problem is caused by DOS or if I do not have enough resources in my computer.
> It has a 366 Mhz processor and I believe 128 MB of RAM. If anyone can help
>I would be appreciative.

Your 128MB of RAM is doing you no good whatsoever if you're running
DOS. That OS can't see more than 1MB.

Without knowing a lot more about the program and the "requests" that
are bogging down it's impossible to say what the problem is. You
wonder about having enough resources in your machine, but you should
realize that DOS simply can't use most of what comes with a computer
today. It can't use more than 1MB of RAM, it can't use USB
peripherals, it can't run more than one program at a time...

I'm sure you don't need most of this to run the car wash. But the
ability to use more RAM to handle more entries (data entry from the
cash register, etc?) and requests(?) certainly couldn't hurt.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

If you are run DOS for the OS, how are you performing these requests? DOS
does normally support only a single task, so if you can perform other
requests while the management program is running then you have some sort of
multi-tasking software in operation. Your problem will be in the
configuration of that software, for instance in the way it is switching
between the management program and the extra requests.

If the requests are being performed by the same software that is running the
equipment then it's likely that the only person who can help with
performance problems would be the person who made the software.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)