Win95 SCSI drivers

hi,

i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.

the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).

appreciate any advice. thanks.
--
thetruck

Try a Windows 98 boot floppy.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Ben

"thetruck" <thetruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:769094CC-2FA9-4AB7-BBB5-D46977769F36@microsoft.com...
> hi,
>
> i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
> scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
> disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.
>
> the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).
>
> appreciate any advice. thanks.
> --
> thetruck

yeah, I guess this is my main problem...i don't really know what entries i
need in here or what to change...

i was told that the box previously ran ok with nt using a symbios 810 scsi
driver, so i downloaded a win95 version (ie symc8xx.mpd) from driverguide.com.

files as follows (apologies for any caps, i cut & pasted from file):

autoexec.bat...
REM MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:D
MSCDEX.EXE /D:SYMC8XX /L:E
e:
cd \win95
REM oemsetup /k "a:\drvcopy.inf"
oemsetup /k "a:\SYMC8xx.inf"

Config.sys...
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
BUFFERS=20
FILES=60
REM DEVICE=SAMPLE.SYS /D:OEMCD001
DEVICE=SYMC8XX.MPD /D:SYMC8XX
LASTDRIVE=Z

"thetruck" wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
> scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
> disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.
>
> the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).
>
> appreciate any advice. thanks.
> --
> thetruck

What commands have you included in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to load the
drivers?

"thetruck" <thetruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
> scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
> disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.
>
> the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).
>
> appreciate any advice. thanks.
> --
> thetruck

Tried this...boots up OK but cdrom not recognised.

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> What commands have you included in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to load the
> drivers?
>
> "thetruck" <thetruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
> > scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
> > disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.
> >
> > the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).
> >
> > appreciate any advice. thanks.
> > --
> > thetruck

See if this is helpful.

http://www.ncr.com/en/support/support_drivers_patches.asp?Class=pc_library_53c700

Ben

"thetruck" <thetruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC321B54-6B81-4F3C-AA19-50511C491EF6@microsoft.com...
> Tried this...boots up OK but cdrom not recognised.
>
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > Try a Windows 98 boot floppy.
> >
> > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "thetruck" <thetruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:769094CC-2FA9-4AB7-BBB5-D46977769F36@microsoft.com...
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
> > > scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
> > > disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.
> > >
> > > the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).
> > >
> > > appreciate any advice. thanks.
> > > --
> > > thetruck

You need the DOS drivers, not the W95 drivers. You have the correct format,
but SYMC8XX.MPD would not be the file to use - it would be the DOS driver
for the CD (which would probably have a .SYS filename extension).

However, this does not implement SCSI support. Unless your SCSI controller
includes DOS support built in to its BIOS, you will also need DOS drivers
for the SCSI controller. There will be an equivalent command (referencing a
SYS file) in config.sys to provide this support. The SCSI controller and the
CD-ROM are two separate devices, each requiring at least one driver. So
your files will look more like -

autoexec.bat...
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0000 /L:E

Config.sys...
DEVICE=SCSIDRVR.SYS
DEVICE=CDROMDRV.SYS /D:MSCD0000

The names are invented, but the format will be similar. The SCSIDRVR line
will probably have some options, and there might be an additional line to
install an ASPI driver, and there could even be an extra SCSI BIOS support
driver.

> yeah, I guess this is my main problem...i don't really know what entries i
> need in here or what to change...
>
> i was told that the box previously ran ok with nt using a symbios 810 scsi
> driver, so i downloaded a win95 version (ie symc8xx.mpd) from
> driverguide.com.
>
> files as follows:
>
> autoexec.bat...
> REM MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:D
> MSCDEX.EXE /D:SYMC8XX /L:E
> e:
> cd \win95
> REM oemsetup /k "a:\drvcopy.inf"
> oemsetup /k "a:\SYMC8xx.inf"
>

> Config.sys...
> DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
> BUFFERS=20
> FILES=60
> REM DEVICE=SAMPLE.SYS /D:OEMCD001
> DEVICE=SYMC8XX.MPD /D:SYMC8XX
> LASTDRIVE=Z

After much playing around finally got it sorted...located the DOS drivers etc
etc

Thanks for your help!

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> You need the DOS drivers, not the W95 drivers. You have the correct format,
> but SYMC8XX.MPD would not be the file to use - it would be the DOS driver
> for the CD (which would probably have a .SYS filename extension).
>
> However, this does not implement SCSI support. Unless your SCSI controller
> includes DOS support built in to its BIOS, you will also need DOS drivers
> for the SCSI controller. There will be an equivalent command (referencing a
> SYS file) in config.sys to provide this support. The SCSI controller and the
> CD-ROM are two separate devices, each requiring at least one driver. So
> your files will look more like -
>
> autoexec.bat...
> MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0000 /L:E
>
> Config.sys...
> DEVICE=SCSIDRVR.SYS
> DEVICE=CDROMDRV.SYS /D:MSCD0000
>
> The names are invented, but the format will be similar. The SCSIDRVR line
> will probably have some options, and there might be an additional line to
> install an ASPI driver, and there could even be an extra SCSI BIOS support
> driver.
>
> "thetruck" <thetruck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yeah, I guess this is my main problem...i don't really know what entries i
> > need in here or what to change...
> >
> > i was told that the box previously ran ok with nt using a symbios 810 scsi
> > driver, so i downloaded a win95 version (ie symc8xx.mpd) from
> > driverguide.com.
> >
> > files as follows:
> >
> > autoexec.bat...
> > REM MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:D
> > MSCDEX.EXE /D:SYMC8XX /L:E
> > e:
> > cd \win95
> > REM oemsetup /k "a:\drvcopy.inf"
> > oemsetup /k "a:\SYMC8xx.inf"
> >

> > Config.sys...
> > DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
> > BUFFERS=20
> > FILES=60
> > REM DEVICE=SAMPLE.SYS /D:OEMCD001
> > DEVICE=SYMC8XX.MPD /D:SYMC8XX
> > LASTDRIVE=Z

All sorted post locating correct DOS drivers and some playing around...found
the http://www.nu2.nu site very useful for drivers.

Thanks everyone.

"thetruck" wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm attempting to install win95b (from scratch) on an old pentium pc with
> scsi devices (toshiba xm 5401 ta cd-rom & a seagate st3255on hard
> disk)...can't seem to load cd-rom drivers when booting off floppy.
>
> the bios is phoenix & ncrpci 3.05.03 (ncr sdm v3.0 pci scsi bios rev2).
>
> appreciate any advice. thanks.
> --
> thetruck

Thanks for letting us know that you got it sorted out.