Michael Dell says "Sure" when asked about using AM

mpjesse

Splendid
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/01/30/dell_says_no_intel_exclusive/

Straight from the horse's mouth. Nothing definite of course, but this is the most Michael Dell has ever said on the topic.

-mpjesse

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I'm beginning to think it'll happen--especially since recently Dell has used an NVIDIA chipset for the XPS 600 desktop. "What's the big deal about that", you ask? Dell has used Intel mobo chipsets exclusively since the late 1980's, that's why. I could be wrong, but I think the Intel exclusivity contract with Dell DID exist, but may have recently expired (and not 'renewed').

endyen

Splendid
The chipset is as supplied by Intel, so it doesn't mean anything. Remember Intel is having problems keeping up with the demand for some of thier chipsets. The have been buying and using bothe nvidia and Ati chipsets in thier own brand mobos for about 3 months.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
There are also rumors going around that they will be considerably cheaper too .

Also, if theya re already selling the processors on their site, they might as well put them in their pc's

xps renegade with fx-60

drool

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Just because they will use AMD does not mean that they will dump Intel, quiet honestly that would be suicide and Mr. Dell knows it. Why? Because most business' I have worked at they use Dell; but if they dont, they use another brand, all these brands use Intels. Intel has huge recognition in the world, by recognition people know about its stock, often financial magazines use intel in one of their benchmarks along with other big names for measuring the health of the economy. Not to mention that big business will switch to dual core, and Intel offers the cheapest one. What dell is trying to do is to break into the realm of extreme gaming, AMD's are better for that, and he knows that no one who is going to sell out 2000+ on a pure gaming machine will buy an intel machine, at this time. Either way I think it will be a smart move for Dell by broadening his marketshare and user base. He has the business and low end computer user covered, now he wants the enthusiast.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
There are also rumors going around that they will be considerably cheaper too .

Also, if theya re already selling the processors on their site, they might as well put them in their pc's

xps renegade with fx-60

drool

yeah, but of course with the usual 256MB or 512MB of DDR333 memory and the cheapest graphics package possible.....

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
If Dell were really as willing as people hope it is, it would have made the switch already. It'll be a pretty little process, and I'd like to see how Dell rolls out this campaign, if it does.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Come on guys, AMD no longer needs Dell to increase their market share.
It will be Dell's last oportunity to start selling AMD systems or they'll see how their competition surpass them in five to six years from now.
Anyhow I never liked them, so it gives the same to me if Dell sell AMD-based systems or not, Dell sucks.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Come on guys, AMD no longer needs Dell to increase their market share.
It will be Dell's last oportunity to start selling AMD systems or they'll see how their competition surpass them in five to six years from now.
Anyhow I never liked them, so it gives the same to me if Dell sell AMD-based systems or not, Dell sucks.

Nevetheless Dell still holds the most market share (of computer vendors), so Dell using AMD will cause a significant shift in AMD market share. This is AMD's chance to stay at least withen enough distance from Intel so that they have a fighting chance. Remember, Intel is on Macs now.

I'm beginning to think it'll happen--especially since recently Dell has used an NVIDIA chipset for the XPS 600 desktop. "What's the big deal about that", you ask? Dell has used Intel mobo chipsets exclusively since the late 1980's, that's why. I could be wrong, but I think the Intel exclusivity contract with Dell DID exist, but may have recently expired (and not 'renewed').

Not quite true. I've seen Dells with VIA and SiS chipsets. They are rare and are used in the cheapest Dells produced, but they do exist.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Meh. I doubt anything will change. It's convenient enough just to talk about it. What real incentive do they have to do anything about it? Dell will just talk, and talk, and talk. Nothing new.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Not quite true. I've seen Dells with VIA and SiS chipsets. They are rare and are used in the cheapest Dells produced, but they do exist.

If you're referring to the Smartstep 250D, that's over 5 years old--and it's a VIA chipset that is used on an Intel mainboard. However I did forget about that one.

Also remember just because a chip on the mobo has an SiS or VIA logo does not mean the "chipset" is theirs. Intel uses several VIA IC chips in their chipsets as well as some SiS chips. I worked for dell for over two years, outside of the SmartStep failure there are no non-intel chipsets in Dell PC's since Dell 386SX systems back in the late 1980s (and the XPS600 with the nvidia chipset).

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I'll believe this when I see it, which I'd bet that I won't. There could be lots of reasons for Michael Dell to say what he said. Either way, I wouldn't buy a Dull.

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Whether or not Dell ever decides to go for it, i certainly wouldnt expect it to be as early as march (note: we don't know the inner workings of dell, so it may not necessarily be the case that dell is better off adapting amd)

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
It seems counterproductive to be launching AMD chips in notebooks when AMD doesn't have a dual core product to compete against Yonah. Even in single-cores, Turion doesn't offer much advantage over the Pentium M.

I can see Dell going to AMD in the server market, but a March roll out is way too early. By March AMD's new platforms wouldn't be out yet since they are set for April, and I doubt Dell will want to release S939 or S940 products then be forced to change in a month or two once the new sockets ship in volume.

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i still somewhat agree with lt - i personally didnt feel like turion should have been pushed out so fast - pentium m did what it had to do and at a good price. turion is just a bit cheaper, although i personally didnt see a whole lot of development on it in terms of performance.

i also cant imagine turions SLIGHTLY cheaper price being a big deal in the notebook market - look at all the stuff already available for the pentium platform. all amd ends up doing is cramming its behind into what may turn out to be a very small market, instead of rolling out its new mobile series, as endyen says, as an answer to perhaps, yonah

endyen

Splendid
turion is just a bit cheaper, although i personally didnt see a whole lot of development on it in terms of performance
I assume you mean the platform, and not the chip.
The turion chip is a much better product than the PM chip. It has better FPU, better memory system and a higher IPC. After all it is the cream of the A64s. The MT chips are even lower powered than the dothans.
I supose we should blame Amd for not setting tighter criterion for the turion platform. Truth is, that most laptop makers wouldn't want to put out an ultra low power turion system because they know Intel would rip them to bits.
Oh well enough of a rant.