Unable to unlock desktop/folder icons

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 11, 2005 1:22:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

I know there is a way to do it.

Somehow I managed to lock all desktop and folder icons. I cannot drag
them into any configuration other than those allowed in the menus such
as by name, date, etc.

They are locked where they are on the left side.

I've clicked everywhere and cannot seem to find a way to undo this so
I can re-arrange my desktop or my file folders the way I want it.

What is the process for this stupid and forgetful person?

Also, I recently installed "Avast", a free anti-virus that will work
on Win95. Any cance that this might be the culprit? Actually Avast
was working OK for a couple of days and I was able to drag everything
before the recent set of circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

E-mail responses welcome but also post here for others, please.

DMK
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:35:13 AM

[crossposting removed]

Rightclick the desktop, select Arrange Icons and uncheck AutoArrange

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html