VPN Solution for Small Business

I have a small network of about 20 computers connected to the internet
through a Linksys wireless router. RIght now I have a Windows XP
Professional machine that is running a webserver, an vnc server, and
the windows xp built in vpn server with the respective ports forwarded
through the router. This is all fine and well, but the Windows XP Pro
only allows one VPN user at a time. I want a setup that allows at
least 3 but more would be nice. I have seen quite a few linux
implementations that offer solutions like this, but they seem hard to
setup, and the webserver is a FileMaker Pro database server which does
not run on linux. Any solution would be greatly appreciated. Remember
price is an issue, if it wasnt i woulda just bought Windows 2003
server or a nice big cisco vpn server.
Thank you
5 answers Last reply
More about solution small business

    Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What type of Internet
    connection? What speed? Guaranteed? How much Internet traffic
    does the network pass? How many simultaneous VPN users are you
    hoping for? Do you want to buy room to grow? What kind of webserver
    data? Database lookups? Just text?

    We need more details to help you.

    Dave

    On 24 Jun 2004 17:22:54 -0700, kaveman743@hotmail.com (Kevin Mader)
    wrote:

    >I have a small network of about 20 computers connected to the internet
    >through a Linksys wireless router. RIght now I have a Windows XP
    >Professional machine that is running a webserver, an vnc server, and
    >the windows xp built in vpn server with the respective ports forwarded
    >through the router. This is all fine and well, but the Windows XP Pro
    >only allows one VPN user at a time. I want a setup that allows at
    >least 3 but more would be nice. I have seen quite a few linux
    >implementations that offer solutions like this, but they seem hard to
    >setup, and the webserver is a FileMaker Pro database server which does
    >not run on linux. Any solution would be greatly appreciated. Remember
    >price is an issue, if it wasnt i woulda just bought Windows 2003
    >server or a nice big cisco vpn server.
    >Thank you

    Sorry, I wasnt sure how much information it would take. The connection
    is quite fast T3, I think. Always on, and for the most part static ip,
    there may be some instances when the ip of the network would change,
    but those are few and far between. Simultaneous VPN connections,
    probably 3-5, I would imagine. It would be nice to have the option for
    more, cost is a major issue so upgradeability is not mandatory. The
    web server is used for payroll and hours logs. It is almost entirely
    database lookups and would not be easy to port to a sql-like solution,
    (the database has 50+ templates coded in CDML and it would be quite
    time consuming to convert them to PHP or ASP) The main use of the VPN
    would be for Samba access to the computers inside the network, and
    samba access to from the computers inside the network to the VPN'd
    machine. I hope I havent confused anything. Thank you

    Dave <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote in message news:<gr7nd0tq79n6it1ilkmjsll9oo1cdh1h4f@4ax.com>...
    > Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What type of Internet
    > connection? What speed? Guaranteed? How much Internet traffic
    > does the network pass? How many simultaneous VPN users are you
    > hoping for? Do you want to buy room to grow? What kind of webserver
    > data? Database lookups? Just text?
    >
    > We need more details to help you.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > On 24 Jun 2004 17:22:54 -0700, kaveman743@hotmail.com (Kevin Mader)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have a small network of about 20 computers connected to the internet
    > >through a Linksys wireless router. RIght now I have a Windows XP
    > >Professional machine that is running a webserver, an vnc server, and
    > >the windows xp built in vpn server with the respective ports forwarded
    > >through the router. This is all fine and well, but the Windows XP Pro
    > >only allows one VPN user at a time. I want a setup that allows at
    > >least 3 but more would be nice. I have seen quite a few linux
    > >implementations that offer solutions like this, but they seem hard to
    > >setup, and the webserver is a FileMaker Pro database server which does
    > >not run on linux. Any solution would be greatly appreciated. Remember
    > >price is an issue, if it wasnt i woulda just bought Windows 2003
    > >server or a nice big cisco vpn server.
    > >Thank you

    Sorry, I wasnt sure how much information it would take. The connection
    is quite fast T3, I think. easily can handle 8 silmulteneous VNC
    connections from the outside at full resolutiuon Always on, and for
    the most part static ip, there may be some instances when the ip of
    the network would change, but those are few and far between.
    Simultaneous VPN connections, probably 3-5, I would imagine. It would
    be nice to have the option for more, cost is a major issue so
    upgradeability is not mandatory. The web server is used for payroll
    and hours logs. It is almost entirely database lookups and would not
    be easy to port to a sql-like solution, (the database has 50+
    templates coded in CDML and it would be quite time consuming to
    convert them to PHP or ASP) The main use of the VPN would be for Samba
    access to the computers inside the network, and samba access to from
    the computers inside the network to the VPN'd machine. I hope I havent
    confused anything. Thank you

    Dave <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote in message news:<gr7nd0tq79n6it1ilkmjsll9oo1cdh1h4f@4ax.com>...
    > Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What type of Internet
    > connection? What speed? Guaranteed? How much Internet traffic
    > does the network pass? How many simultaneous VPN users are you
    > hoping for? Do you want to buy room to grow? What kind of webserver
    > data? Database lookups? Just text?
    >
    > We need more details to help you.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > On 24 Jun 2004 17:22:54 -0700, kaveman743@hotmail.com (Kevin Mader)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have a small network of about 20 computers connected to the internet
    > >through a Linksys wireless router. RIght now I have a Windows XP
    > >Professional machine that is running a webserver, an vnc server, and
    > >the windows xp built in vpn server with the respective ports forwarded
    > >through the router. This is all fine and well, but the Windows XP Pro
    > >only allows one VPN user at a time. I want a setup that allows at
    > >least 3 but more would be nice. I have seen quite a few linux
    > >implementations that offer solutions like this, but they seem hard to
    > >setup, and the webserver is a FileMaker Pro database server which does
    > >not run on linux. Any solution would be greatly appreciated. Remember
    > >price is an issue, if it wasnt i woulda just bought Windows 2003
    > >server or a nice big cisco vpn server.
    > >Thank you

    Kevin:

    Okay. Now what kind of budget? What type of uptime/reliability do you
    need? If you want don't foresee going past 10 tunnels, then I would
    suggest the Zywall 10W. Solid performance and good reliability for
    10 tunnels or less. Command-line interface and dialup failover are
    nice features for the price. When you say Samba, do you mean Samba
    literally, or Microsoft SMB? Both, of course, rely on lots of
    broadcast traffic, contributing to overhead, unless you use DNS/WINS
    in a Windows environment. What will you be using for name resolution?

    You might also look at Netscreen, though IMHO, you'd be getting less
    in terms of features for the money.

    Dave

    On 27 Jun 2004 22:16:26 -0700, kaveman743@hotmail.com (Kevin Mader)
    wrote:

    >Sorry, I wasnt sure how much information it would take. The connection
    >is quite fast T3, I think. Always on, and for the most part static ip,
    >there may be some instances when the ip of the network would change,
    >but those are few and far between. Simultaneous VPN connections,
    >probably 3-5, I would imagine. It would be nice to have the option for
    >more, cost is a major issue so upgradeability is not mandatory. The
    >web server is used for payroll and hours logs. It is almost entirely
    >database lookups and would not be easy to port to a sql-like solution,
    >(the database has 50+ templates coded in CDML and it would be quite
    >time consuming to convert them to PHP or ASP) The main use of the VPN
    >would be for Samba access to the computers inside the network, and
    >samba access to from the computers inside the network to the VPN'd
    >machine. I hope I havent confused anything. Thank you
    >
    >Dave <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote in message news:<gr7nd0tq79n6it1ilkmjsll9oo1cdh1h4f@4ax.com>...
    >> Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What type of Internet
    >> connection? What speed? Guaranteed? How much Internet traffic
    >> does the network pass? How many simultaneous VPN users are you
    >> hoping for? Do you want to buy room to grow? What kind of webserver
    >> data? Database lookups? Just text?
    >>
    >> We need more details to help you.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> On 24 Jun 2004 17:22:54 -0700, kaveman743@hotmail.com (Kevin Mader)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a small network of about 20 computers connected to the internet
    >> >through a Linksys wireless router. RIght now I have a Windows XP
    >> >Professional machine that is running a webserver, an vnc server, and
    >> >the windows xp built in vpn server with the respective ports forwarded
    >> >through the router. This is all fine and well, but the Windows XP Pro
    >> >only allows one VPN user at a time. I want a setup that allows at
    >> >least 3 but more would be nice. I have seen quite a few linux
    >> >implementations that offer solutions like this, but they seem hard to
    >> >setup, and the webserver is a FileMaker Pro database server which does
    >> >not run on linux. Any solution would be greatly appreciated. Remember
    >> >price is an issue, if it wasnt i woulda just bought Windows 2003
    >> >server or a nice big cisco vpn server.
    >> >Thank you

    Take a look at the Multitech RF650, 10 tunnels, easy to setup,
    can use a dynamic ip at the remote end.

    works for me

    garry

    "Kevin Mader" <kaveman743@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry, I wasnt sure how much information it would take. The connection
    > is quite fast T3, I think. easily can handle 8 silmulteneous VNC
    > connections from the outside at full resolutiuon Always on, and for
    > the most part static ip, there may be some instances when the ip of
    > the network would change, but those are few and far between.
    > Simultaneous VPN connections, probably 3-5, I would imagine. It would
    > be nice to have the option for more, cost is a major issue so
    > upgradeability is not mandatory. The web server is used for payroll
    > and hours logs. It is almost entirely database lookups and would not
    > be easy to port to a sql-like solution, (the database has 50+
    > templates coded in CDML and it would be quite time consuming to
    > convert them to PHP or ASP) The main use of the VPN would be for Samba
    > access to the computers inside the network, and samba access to from
    > the computers inside the network to the VPN'd machine. I hope I havent
    > confused anything. Thank you
    >
    > Dave <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote in message
    > > Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What type of Internet
    > > connection? What speed? Guaranteed? How much Internet traffic
    > > does the network pass? How many simultaneous VPN users are you
    > > hoping for? Do you want to buy room to grow? What kind of webserver
    > > data? Database lookups? Just text?
    > >
    > > We need more details to help you.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > > On 24 Jun 2004 17:22:54 -0700, kaveman743@hotmail.com (Kevin Mader)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have a small network of about 20 computers connected to the internet
    > > >through a Linksys wireless router. RIght now I have a Windows XP
    > > >Professional machine that is running a webserver, an vnc server, and
    > > >the windows xp built in vpn server with the respective ports forwarded
    > > >through the router. This is all fine and well, but the Windows XP Pro
    > > >only allows one VPN user at a time. I want a setup that allows at
    > > >least 3 but more would be nice. I have seen quite a few linux
    > > >implementations that offer solutions like this, but they seem hard to
    > > >setup, and the webserver is a FileMaker Pro database server which does
    > > >not run on linux. Any solution would be greatly appreciated. Remember
    > > >price is an issue, if it wasnt i woulda just bought Windows 2003
    > > >server or a nice big cisco vpn server.
    > > >Thank you

VPN Servers Networking Product