Anyone using AVG 7 Antivirus Free version from Grisoft?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 15, 2005 9:10:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
positive.

Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?

There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.

I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.

Thank you.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

It didn't wreck the 95 machine - but it wasn't too happy either.

Gave up in the end - I couldn't get it to update and behave all the time.

I need a lightweight anti-virus for the 95 box - or a brand new machine all
together!

<MikeJones@nomail.edu> wrote in message
I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new
virus
definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists.
I tried Google
Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it
wasn't
positive.

Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?

There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure
problem being
fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you
don't really know
what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.

I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.

Thank you.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:35:02 AM

MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote:

>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>positive.
>
>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>
>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>
>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>
>Thank you.

It is not listed as being Windows 95 compatible and it has been
problematic for at least some of the Windows 95 users who have tried
it.

Avast is a another free antivirus that is Windows 95 compatible
performance of a computer, although on a 300 mhz PII it might be okay
if you have at least 64 mb of RAM.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
April 16, 2005 9:29:25 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:35:02 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote:
>
>>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>>positive.
>>
>>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>>
>>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>>
>>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>>
>>Thank you.
>
>It is not listed as being Windows 95 compatible and it has been
>problematic for at least some of the Windows 95 users who have tried
>it.

Actually it says in the FAQ under system requirements that Windows 95 is supported.
Well if it's been a problem for others maybe I should think about not trying the new
version.

>Avast is a another free antivirus that is Windows 95 compatible
>performance of a computer, although on a 300 mhz PII it might be okay
>if you have at least 64 mb of RAM.
>
>Good luck

Does the program always run in the background or can you turn it off and just run it when
you want to scan files? Do you use this program on an Windows 95 computer yourself and if
so what processor are you using? Thanks for the information.

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:33:33 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:32:30 GMT, "News Virgin" <dontmailtome@here.com> wrote:

>It didn't wreck the 95 machine - but it wasn't too happy either.
>
>Gave up in the end - I couldn't get it to update and behave all the time.
>
>I need a lightweight anti-virus for the 95 box - or a brand new machine all
>together!

I know the feeling. :-) Have you tried the one here www.avast.com that Ron Martell
mentioned?
Thank you.

><MikeJones@nomail.edu> wrote in message
>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new
>virus
>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists.
>I tried Google
>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it
>wasn't
>positive.
>
>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>
>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure
>problem being
>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you
>don't really know
>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>
>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>
>Thank you.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:09:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Works fine on my win95 machine. 166 mhz.

Elly's Tinnitus Resources
http://eebee.net/

MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote:

>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>positive.
>
>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>
>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>
>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>
>Thank you.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:09:34 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 06:09:33 +1000, Elly Byrne <elly@eebee.net.noway> wrote:

>Works fine on my win95 machine. 166 mhz.

That's good to know. Thank you.

>Elly's Tinnitus Resources
>http://eebee.net/
>

>MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote:
>
>>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>>positive.
>>
>>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>>
>>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>>
>>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>>
>>Thank you.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:05:25 PM

Hello,

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:35:02 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Does the program always run in the background or can you turn it off and
> just run it when
> you want to scan files? Do you use this program on an Windows 95 computer
> yourself and if
> so what processor are you using? Thanks for the information.

If you don't need real-time protection and you just manually scan
disk/floppy/USB flash,
then I recommend F-PROT for DOS, which is free for home/personal use.
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/
IBM PC compatible computer.
Version 3.x requires DOS 3.3 or better, and at least
an 80386 computer with 4MB of memory.
F-Prot Antivirus for DOS will run under
Windows 3.x, Windows 95, 98, or
UNIX, LINUX or Macintosh workstation
running a DOS or Windows emulator. (see also F-Prot Antivirus for
Linux.).
F-Prot Antivirus for DOS will work on most network systems.

It is regularly updated - latest release is 2005-APR-06, latest signature
files released
2005-APR-15.

BTW, it works also in command console in Windows XP SP2 (I use it).

Roman
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:34:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:10:53 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :

>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>positive.
>
>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>
>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>
>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>
>Thank you.

Used it for years on all O/S but it became too popular(probably partly
my fault<grin> :)
Moved on to FreeAv,
http://www.free-av.com/
Superb.Small memory footprint.Excellent updates and a forum to join
for free if you have deeper problems :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Hello,

> Used it for years on all O/S but it became too popular(probably partly
> my fault<grin> :)
> Moved on to FreeAv,
> http://www.free-av.com/
> Superb.Small memory footprint.Excellent updates and a forum to join
> for free if you have deeper problems :)

Does it work under Windows 95?

Roman
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:57:09 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:34:10 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:10:53 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
>I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :
>
>>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>>positive.
>>
>>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>>
>>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>>
>>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>>
>>Thank you.
>
>Used it for years on all O/S but it became too popular(probably partly
>my fault<grin> :)
>Moved on to FreeAv,
>http://www.free-av.com/
>Superb.Small memory footprint.Excellent updates and a forum to join
>for free if you have deeper problems :)

Thanks. I think I saw people were using it when I did a Google Groups search.
I just checked their website and it doesn't look like Windows 95 is supported.
The top of their main page says:

AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic
for Windows 98/Me and XP (XP&2000&NT)
Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Solaris

I don't see a FAQ or anything about system requirements.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:57:28 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:05:25 +0200, "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
><MikeJones@nomail.edu> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:35:02 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> Does the program always run in the background or can you turn it off and
>> just run it when
>> you want to scan files? Do you use this program on an Windows 95 computer
>> yourself and if
>> so what processor are you using? Thanks for the information.
>
>If you don't need real-time protection and you just manually scan
>disk/floppy/USB flash,

That's good.

>then I recommend F-PROT for DOS, which is free for home/personal use.
>http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

Thanks Roman, I'll try it.

>IBM PC compatible computer.
> Version 3.x requires DOS 3.3 or better, and at least
> an 80386 computer with 4MB of memory.
>F-Prot Antivirus for DOS will run under
> Windows 3.x, Windows 95, 98, or
> UNIX, LINUX or Macintosh workstation
> running a DOS or Windows emulator. (see also F-Prot Antivirus for
>Linux.).
>F-Prot Antivirus for DOS will work on most network systems.
>
>It is regularly updated - latest release is 2005-APR-06, latest signature
>files released
>2005-APR-15.
>
>BTW, it works also in command console in Windows XP SP2 (I use it).
>
>Roman

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:54:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Earlier MikeJones@nomail.edu muttered:

>>Used it for years on all O/S but it became too popular(probably partly
>>my fault<grin> :)
>>Moved on to FreeAv,
>>http://www.free-av.com/
>>Superb.Small memory footprint.Excellent updates and a forum to join
>>for free if you have deeper problems :)
>
>Thanks. I think I saw people were using it when I did a Google Groups search.
>I just checked their website and it doesn't look like Windows 95 is supported.
>The top of their main page says:
>
>AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic
>for Windows 98/Me and XP (XP&2000&NT)
>Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Solaris
>
>I don't see a FAQ or anything about system requirements.

Hmmm, it works fine with my 95b machine.

--
pixel

So many idiots - so few comets.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:21:51 PM

Hello,

>>AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic
>>for Windows 98/Me and XP (XP&2000&NT)
>>Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Solaris
>>
>>I don't see a FAQ or anything about system requirements.
>
> Hmmm, it works fine with my 95b machine.
>

> --

Which version do you have?

Latest officially supported version was 6.29.
It seems that there were some problems with 6.30.
But the latest builds should work ok under Windows 95
(according to the this thread in german):

http://www.free-av.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ge...

Completely short message for the Win95 user: it goes further completely well
with the today's update (to 15.4.05). Detail of the version:
- program: 6.30.00.17
- search engines: 6.30.0.7
- VDF file: 6.30.0.102
- AVRep.dll: 6.30.00.100
Again thanks to the developers!
Françoise
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Translated by
Babel-fish: http://world.altavista.com/

Best regards, Roman
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:31:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:57:09 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :

>On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:34:10 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:10:53 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
>>I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :
>>
>>>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>>>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>>>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>>>positive.
>>>
>>>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>>>
>>>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>>>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>>>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>>>
>>>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>
>>Used it for years on all O/S but it became too popular(probably partly
>>my fault<grin> :)
>>Moved on to FreeAv,
>>http://www.free-av.com/
>>Superb.Small memory footprint.Excellent updates and a forum to join
>>for free if you have deeper problems :)
>
>Thanks. I think I saw people were using it when I did a Google Groups search.
>I just checked their website and it doesn't look like Windows 95 is supported.
>The top of their main page says:
>
>AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic
>for Windows 98/Me and XP (XP&2000&NT)
>Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Solaris
>
>I don't see a FAQ or anything about system requirements.

Use AVG then :)
I have tried them both.I have now gone back to AVG as as some one
pointed out FreeAv gives too many,"False Positives".Just get AVG 7 and
you will be ok :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
April 22, 2005 4:06:45 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:31:12 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:57:09 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
>I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :
>
>>On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:34:10 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>Used it for years on all O/S but it became too popular(probably partly
>>>my fault<grin> :)
>>>Moved on to FreeAv,
>>>http://www.free-av.com/
>>>Superb.Small memory footprint.Excellent updates and a forum to join
>>>for free if you have deeper problems :)
>>
>>Thanks. I think I saw people were using it when I did a Google Groups search.
>>I just checked their website and it doesn't look like Windows 95 is supported.
>>The top of their main page says:
>>
>>AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic
>>for Windows 98/Me and XP (XP&2000&NT)
>>Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Solaris
>>
>>I don't see a FAQ or anything about system requirements.
>
>Use AVG then :)

:-) That's what I'd be doing, it's just I want to be sure my computer will be safe from
the software. ;-) That message about system failures on their site has me feeling not too
confident about their software. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows 95. It
was a major pain the last time I did it and I had help from Dell tech support which has
gone way downhill since then.

>I have tried them both.I have now gone back to AVG as as some one
>pointed out FreeAv gives too many,"False Positives".Just get AVG 7 and
>you will be ok :)
April 23, 2005 5:38:34 PM

wrote:

>MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote:
>
>>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>>positive.
>>
>>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>>
>>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>>
>>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>>
>>Thank you.
>
>It is not listed as being Windows 95 compatible and it has been
>problematic for at least some of the Windows 95 users who have tried
>it

.......SNIP

The PDF guide states it should work with W95 if IE is 5. 1 or above.

Just tried it (V7) on my W95 os2.1 and it runs fine. Took 60min for
full scan an my old PC. No virus found.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:49:43 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:38:34 GMT, dontreplyhere@ok.com (norm) wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:35:02 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote:
>>
>>>I was using version 6, recommended by people here. They stopped making new virus
>>>definitions for version 6 and require version 7 to get updated virus lists. I tried Google
>>>Groups and found little discussion, one post, about the new version and it wasn't
>>>positive.
>>>
>>>Are people using it. Does it wreck your computer? Does it work?
>>>
>>>There was an ominous message at the grisoft site about the System Failure problem being
>>>fixed. ;-) I'm always cautious about installing new software because you don't really know
>>>what it's going to do especially on Windows 95 which few people still use.
>>>
>>>I'm using Windows 95b on a Dell Dimension 300 MHz Pentium 2.
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>
>>It is not listed as being Windows 95 compatible and it has been
>>problematic for at least some of the Windows 95 users who have tried
>>it
>
>......SNIP
>
>The PDF guide states it should work with W95 if IE is 5. 1 or above.

Thanks, too bad I'm using IE 5.0. It's kind of strange that you have to have IE to use a
virus scanner.

>Just tried it (V7) on my W95 os2.1 and it runs fine. Took 60min for
>full scan an my old PC. No virus found.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:02:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Earlier MikeJones@nomail.edu muttered:

>>>It is not listed as being Windows 95 compatible and it has been
>>>problematic for at least some of the Windows 95 users who have tried
>>>it
>>
>>......SNIP
>>
>>The PDF guide states it should work with W95 if IE is 5. 1 or above.
>
>Thanks, too bad I'm using IE 5.0. It's kind of strange that you have to have IE to use a
>virus scanner.

Hmmm, I have no idea why it has to have IE5.1+, but I suppose it will
have something to do with the update feature. Anyway, it works fine
for me, with 95b and IE5.5.

--
pixel

So many idiots - so few comets.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:43:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Hello,

> Hmmm, I have no idea why it has to have IE5.1+, but I suppose it will
> have something to do with the update feature. Anyway, it works fine
> for me, with 95b and IE5.5.

And BTW, there is now AVG beta available with firewall at
http://gappa2.grisoft.cz/freebugs/

Roman
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:50:16 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:02:57 +0200, "Pixel \"#~" <jjwweerrff@phil.uu.nl> wrote:

>Earlier MikeJones@nomail.edu muttered:

>>>......SNIP
>>>
>>>The PDF guide states it should work with W95 if IE is 5. 1 or above.
>>
>>Thanks, too bad I'm using IE 5.0. It's kind of strange that you have to have IE to use a
>>virus scanner.
>
>Hmmm, I have no idea why it has to have IE5.1+, but I suppose it will
>have something to do with the update feature. Anyway, it works fine
>for me, with 95b and IE5.5.

That's good to know. If IE5.5 will work with 95b then I should install it anyway, assuming
it won't cause problems with anything else.

I know that some Microsoft applications like Word and Excel require a specific version of
IE (or a newer version should also work). I was going to uninstall IE 5.0 a few weeks ago
and I read somewhere, maybe the Microsoft site, that this might happen with MS software.
Zonealarm wouldn't work after I uninstalled IE 5.0 so I reinstalled it.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:51:50 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:43:34 +0200, "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>> Hmmm, I have no idea why it has to have IE5.1+, but I suppose it will
>> have something to do with the update feature. Anyway, it works fine
>> for me, with 95b and IE5.5.
>
>And BTW, there is now AVG beta available with firewall at
>http://gappa2.grisoft.cz/freebugs/
>
>Roman

Free bugs? Funny. :-) Maybe I'll try it when it's finished.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:50:16 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:02:57 +0200, "Pixel \"#~" <jjwweerrff@phil.uu.nl> wrote:
>
>>Earlier MikeJones@nomail.edu muttered:

>>>Thanks, too bad I'm using IE 5.0. It's kind of strange that you have to have IE to use a
>>>virus scanner.
>>
>>Hmmm, I have no idea why it has to have IE5.1+, but I suppose it will
>>have something to do with the update feature. Anyway, it works fine
>>for me, with 95b and IE5.5.
>
>That's good to know. If IE5.5 will work with 95b then I should install it anyway, assuming
>it won't cause problems with anything else.
>
>I know that some Microsoft applications like Word and Excel require a specific version of
>IE (or a newer version should also work). I was going to uninstall IE 5.0 a few weeks ago
>and I read somewhere, maybe the Microsoft site, that this might happen with MS software.
>Zonealarm wouldn't work after I uninstalled IE 5.0 so I reinstalled it.
>
>Thanks.

Whenever you update the browsers it's worth running a couple of reg
cleaners and then compacting the registry,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
April 28, 2005 2:22:10 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:43:36 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:50:16 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
>I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :
>
>>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:02:57 +0200, "Pixel \"#~" <jjwweerrff@phil.uu.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>Earlier MikeJones@nomail.edu muttered:

>>>Hmmm, I have no idea why it has to have IE5.1+, but I suppose it will
>>>have something to do with the update feature. Anyway, it works fine
>>>for me, with 95b and IE5.5.
>>
>>That's good to know. If IE5.5 will work with 95b then I should install it anyway, assuming
>>it won't cause problems with anything else.
>>
>>I know that some Microsoft applications like Word and Excel require a specific version of
>>IE (or a newer version should also work). I was going to uninstall IE 5.0 a few weeks ago
>>and I read somewhere, maybe the Microsoft site, that this might happen with MS software.
>>Zonealarm wouldn't work after I uninstalled IE 5.0 so I reinstalled it.
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>Whenever you update the browsers it's worth running a couple of reg
>cleaners and then compacting the registry,
>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
>
>HTH :)

I didn't know that was a problem with browsers. So far I've avoided registry cleaners
because they are scary. Several times I've heard of people using them and their computers
don't work right afterwards. I guess it's an option if I have registry problems. Thanks.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:07:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:22:10 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:43:36 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:50:16 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
>>I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :

>>>That's good to know. If IE5.5 will work with 95b then I should install it anyway, assuming
>>>it won't cause problems with anything else.
>>>
>>>I know that some Microsoft applications like Word and Excel require a specific version of
>>>IE (or a newer version should also work). I was going to uninstall IE 5.0 a few weeks ago
>>>and I read somewhere, maybe the Microsoft site, that this might happen with MS software.
>>>Zonealarm wouldn't work after I uninstalled IE 5.0 so I reinstalled it.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>
>>Whenever you update the browsers it's worth running a couple of reg
>>cleaners and then compacting the registry,
>>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
>>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
>>
>>HTH :)
>
>I didn't know that was a problem with browsers. So far I've avoided registry cleaners
>because they are scary. Several times I've heard of people using them and their computers
>don't work right afterwards. I guess it's an option if I have registry problems. Thanks.

All of the above reg cleaners make backups of what they take out so
you can restore them.Before running any back up the Registry.This is
dead easy with the long standing and free little .bat files WRP,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

I've never yet had a problem with them even since win95A.For win95 use
Easy Cleaner and Regseeker.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
April 29, 2005 1:59:59 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:07:50 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:22:10 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
>I have stood on the shoulder of giants MikeJones@nomail.edu wrote :
>
>>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:43:36 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>Whenever you update the browsers it's worth running a couple of reg
>>>cleaners and then compacting the registry,
>>>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
>>>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
>>>
>>>HTH :)
>>
>>I didn't know that was a problem with browsers. So far I've avoided registry cleaners
>>because they are scary. Several times I've heard of people using them and their computers
>>don't work right afterwards. I guess it's an option if I have registry problems. Thanks.
>
>All of the above reg cleaners make backups of what they take out so
>you can restore them.Before running any back up the Registry.This is
>dead easy with the long standing and free little .bat files WRP,
>http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
>
>I've never yet had a problem with them even since win95A.For win95 use
>Easy Cleaner and Regseeker.
>HTH :)

Thanks for the info. I use a free utility called Eru from Microsoft for registry backups.
I just made a backup and it took a few seconds.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q139437
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:24:02 PM

Although my machine is similar to Shep's (WIN95B and IE 5.5); RAM is only 14
Mb.....AVG Ver 6 seemed to work OK but, when Ver 6 it was Un-Installed the
extreme s-l-o-w down vanished (was I glad !).......obviously Version 7 was
not for my particular configuration. Secondly, the license requirements seem
a bit heavy-handed (they want my address, etc for TEN years ? ?)

!