Sign in with
Your question

Seeks vid card for business computer with 3800X2 AMD 939 CPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2006 3:43:38 PM

AM looking for a graphics card PCI-Express type, <$200 that I can buy from NEWEGG for a business rig with AMD 3800 X2 939 socket CPU and 1 GB XMS RAM. Will be multitasking on web, word docs, CD burning, and VLAN using access. Will NOT be used for gaming so need something stable and long life-prefer NVIDIA GPU vid card since Ive had good luck with their products.
Hope to have nforce on mobo as chipset too.
Thanks THGuiders:) .
January 30, 2006 4:18:22 PM

Although a nice card, the 6800GS is engineered towards midranged gamers bud.

Try something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

That should be just about what your wanting/needing. If its for business and multi-media apps, that card can be the sweet spot. The price tag is very acceptable too. Take a look, read some reviews and make your pic.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2006 4:26:35 PM

I would recommend the cheapest GF6200 you can find, or if you are willing to spend the time, look for one with a passive heatsink (no fan to break).

That would best suit your basic needs,save you money (should cost less than $50) and will work for a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135192
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121194

PS, I'd also recommend the ATi X300SE but since you don't like ATi there's no point (other than for others reading this).

EDIT: DANG spent time looking for examples and raven essential comes out with the similar cards ahead of me! 8O
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 30, 2006 5:17:58 PM

Low-end Ati cards will give you better display quality on average in Word docs and the like, Ati cards tend to have better RAMDACs than Nvidia offerings.

So you might want to consider a cheap X300, regardless of your brand preference. It'd be easier to recommend an Nvidia card if you were doing some hardcore gaming...
January 30, 2006 6:33:38 PM

Last time I check, both cards have 400mhz RAMDAC's, and unless your some kinda perfection freak to the extreme, I cant tell the difference between a Word document quality on a GMA, my 9700, x800pro or my 7800GT.

However I will agree, ATI does make a solid card, and even though you may have heard some issues (or experienced) with your own hardware, its become a thing of the past and their drivers are quite stable.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2006 7:57:56 PM

Quote:
Last time I check, both cards have 400mhz RAMDAC's, and unless your some kinda perfection freak to the extreme,

Well, what's wrong with perfection? I use 19x14 @ 75hz as my desktop, I want what others consider perfection, especially if I'm spending more than $1,000 on a monitor (my P260 at work here cost even more than my home monitors @ $2500). When it comes down to 2D it is all about perfection, 3D is about framerates, because the little artifacts tend to dissaolve into the noise.

Quote:
I cant tell the difference between a Word document quality on a GMA, my 9700, x800pro or my 7800GT.

And for the most part that will be the case, but that doesn't mean other people will see them equally. The Ramdacs on the MAtrox G series are slower than those cards you list but the 2D quality is often better thanks to the filtering involved, even more so when the P series is included using equally speedy RAMDACs. Then take into account the TMDS quality, and I'd say things are far from 'equal', only most people won't notice or care;

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/29/the_tft_connection/

Quote:
However I will agree, ATI does make a solid card, and even though you may have heard some issues (or experienced) with your own hardware, its become a thing of the past and their drivers are quite stable.

It's not a thing of the past unfortunately. The quality of the non-workstation cards is suspect until proven to be good IMO. But then again I am a perfectionist when it comes to 2D images. To me it's like the CRT vs LCD or DLP vs Plasma vs LCD debate, people have different levels of acceptable mediocrity, (or even the mouse vs rollerball debate: speed vs precision / control).

I understand what you're saying, but I think Cleeve is going with the same idea I am, why settle for something less if you can get the best for the same price, even if you don't notice the difference?

Better not noticing the better than you need quality, than noticing the poorer than you need quality and having already comitted to one product for other reasons.

However that being said, if he prefers nV over ATi then the GF6200 I mentioned should be good for the most part, but if it's not, moving to a GF6800GS will likely not change that whereas switching platforms might.

If he didn't mention a budget (so obviously money matters somewhat more than quality) then I would've straight up mentionted the PCIe P650 as being the best for his needs, however is the $40 GF6200s don't suffice, then he can return/sell it for minimal loss and then invest in the best.

Just something else to think about.
!