Looking for TCP/IP network protocol

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 22, 2005 5:35:27 AM

I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new version
of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
version.

When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install "TCP/IP
network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my installation
CD, but then install where?

I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive. I'm
wondering whether this is creating some confusion.

Thanks for any assistance in this effort.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

More about : tcp network protocol

April 22, 2005 11:59:38 AM

"G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
>I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new version
> of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
> received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
> version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
> version.
>
> When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install "TCP/IP
> network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
> further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my installation
> CD, but then install where?
>
> I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive. I'm
> wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
>
> Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
>
> Gordon Biggar
> Houston, Texas

you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
....microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)

then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:28:27 PM

Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)

Thanks for your prompt reply. When the system accesses my installation
disk, I receive the error message: "the specified location does not contain
information about your hardware." I have a feeling that I need to direct
the software to the specific folder in which the TCP/IP file(s) are located.

However, one of the windows I encountered during this process states the
following: "The following network components are installed:" and it lists,
among others, TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter, and TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter #2(VPN
support). I'm not sure what to make of this, unless my TCP/IP files are
corrupted. I am able to log onto the Internet without difficulty.

Gordon Biggar

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new
version
> > of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
> > received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
> > version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
> > version.
> >
> > When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install
"TCP/IP
> > network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
> > further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my
installation
> > CD, but then install where?
> >
> > I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive.
I'm
> > wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
> >
> > Gordon Biggar
> > Houston, Texas
> >

> you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
> ...microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)
>
> then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 22, 2005 5:41:16 PM

at bottom

"G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o xEZ8$0RFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply. When the system accesses my installation
> disk, I receive the error message: "the specified location does not
> contain
> information about your hardware." I have a feeling that I need to direct
> the software to the specific folder in which the TCP/IP file(s) are
> located.
>
> However, one of the windows I encountered during this process states the
> following: "The following network components are installed:" and it lists,
> among others, TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter, and TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter #2(VPN
> support). I'm not sure what to make of this, unless my TCP/IP files are
> corrupted. I am able to log onto the Internet without difficulty.
>
> Gordon Biggar
>

> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
>> >I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new
> version
>> > of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
>> > received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
>> > version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
>> > version.
>> >
>> > When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install
> "TCP/IP
>> > network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could
>> > proceed
>> > further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my
> installation
>> > CD, but then install where?
>> >
>> > I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive.
> I'm
>> > wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
>> >
>> > Gordon Biggar
>> > Houston, Texas
>> >

>> you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
>> ...microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)
>>
>> then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update

Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)

<g> oh about 200 years ago (Bingley) :> just a name i like to use....

I was going to ask originally if you had internet access ...(TCP/IP is
required for internet)

so it is installed ...but the update will not install...you may be right
that the boot drive not being C: could be a problem

is this the route you took to get the file(s) ....did you install DUN
1.3-1.4 ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/W...

or

http://snipurl.com/2gtw
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:51:13 PM

Try installing the TCP/IP protocol again and when you are prompted
for an installation disk, type in "c:\windows\inf" and click "OK".

Ben

!