Looking for TCP/IP network protocol

I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new version
of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
version.

When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install "TCP/IP
network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my installation
CD, but then install where?

I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive. I'm
wondering whether this is creating some confusion.

Thanks for any assistance in this effort.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas
4 answers Last reply
More about looking network protocol

    "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new version
    > of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
    > received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
    > version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
    > version.
    >
    > When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install "TCP/IP
    > network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
    > further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my installation
    > CD, but then install where?
    >
    > I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive. I'm
    > wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
    >
    > Gordon Biggar
    > Houston, Texas

    you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
    ....microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)

    then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update

    Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)

    Thanks for your prompt reply. When the system accesses my installation
    disk, I receive the error message: "the specified location does not contain
    information about your hardware." I have a feeling that I need to direct
    the software to the specific folder in which the TCP/IP file(s) are located.

    However, one of the windows I encountered during this process states the
    following: "The following network components are installed:" and it lists,
    among others, TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter, and TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter #2(VPN
    support). I'm not sure what to make of this, unless my TCP/IP files are
    corrupted. I am able to log onto the Internet without difficulty.

    Gordon Biggar

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new
    version
    > > of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
    > > received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
    > > version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
    > > version.
    > >
    > > When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install
    "TCP/IP
    > > network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
    > > further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my
    installation
    > > CD, but then install where?
    > >
    > > I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive.
    I'm
    > > wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
    > >
    > > Gordon Biggar
    > > Houston, Texas
    > >

    > you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
    > ...microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)
    >
    > then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    at bottom

    > Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)
    >
    > Thanks for your prompt reply. When the system accesses my installation
    > disk, I receive the error message: "the specified location does not
    > contain
    > information about your hardware." I have a feeling that I need to direct
    > the software to the specific folder in which the TCP/IP file(s) are
    > located.
    >
    > However, one of the windows I encountered during this process states the
    > following: "The following network components are installed:" and it lists,
    > among others, TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter, and TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter #2(VPN
    > support). I'm not sure what to make of this, unless my TCP/IP files are
    > corrupted. I am able to log onto the Internet without difficulty.
    >
    > Gordon Biggar
    >

    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> >I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new
    > version
    >> > of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
    >> > received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
    >> > version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
    >> > version.
    >> >
    >> > When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install
    > "TCP/IP
    >> > network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could
    >> > proceed
    >> > further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my
    > installation
    >> > CD, but then install where?
    >> >
    >> > I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive.
    > I'm
    >> > wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
    >> >
    >> > Gordon Biggar
    >> > Houston, Texas
    >> >

    >> you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
    >> ...microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)
    >>
    >> then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update

    Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)

    <g> oh about 200 years ago (Bingley) :> just a name i like to use....

    I was going to ask originally if you had internet access ...(TCP/IP is
    required for internet)

    so it is installed ...but the update will not install...you may be right
    that the boot drive not being C: could be a problem

    is this the route you took to get the file(s) ....did you install DUN
    1.3-1.4 ?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUNetworking/dunwinsky2k/Default.asp

    or

    http://snipurl.com/2gtw
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Try installing the TCP/IP protocol again and when you are prompted
    for an installation disk, type in "c:\windows\inf" and click "OK".

    Ben

    "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message news:OxEZ8$0RFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Sir Haggis -- (Scottish, perhaps?)
    >
    > Thanks for your prompt reply. When the system accesses my installation
    > disk, I receive the error message: "the specified location does not contain
    > information about your hardware." I have a feeling that I need to direct
    > the software to the specific folder in which the TCP/IP file(s) are located.
    >
    > However, one of the windows I encountered during this process states the
    > following: "The following network components are installed:" and it lists,
    > among others, TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter, and TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter #2(VPN
    > support). I'm not sure what to make of this, unless my TCP/IP files are
    > corrupted. I am able to log onto the Internet without difficulty.
    >
    > Gordon Biggar
    >

    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "G.G. Biggar, Jr." <Colonel_Biggs@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > >I use Win95 on a backup computer. Recently, I was installing a new
    > version
    > > > of Computer Associates's anti-virus software. During installation I
    > > > received a message that my Win Socket version needed to be upgraded to
    > > > version 2. It took me to a Microsoft site where I downloaded the newer
    > > > version.
    > > >
    > > > When installing version 2, I was informed that I needed to install
    > "TCP/IP
    > > > network protocol" from my WIN95 installation disk before I could proceed
    > > > further. Is this a set of files that I can search for on my
    > installation
    > > > CD, but then install where?
    > > >
    > > > I am using a partitioned drive, where the D drive is the main drive.
    > I'm
    > > > wondering whether this is creating some confusion.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any assistance in this effort.
    > > >
    > > > Gordon Biggar
    > > > Houston, Texas
    > > >

    > > you need to go to control panel >network> add protocol
    > > ...microsoft....TCP/IP (have CD handy)
    > >
    > > then after reboot your can install the winsock2 update

Microsoft Windows