How do I adjust monitor color in Windows? New monitor is p..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2005 2:03:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.

Thanks.
May 6, 2005 2:03:38 PM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 10:03:37 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.

What are the control buttons on the front of the monitor for? How
about looking into Control Panel, Display, and the graphics card
controls?
May 6, 2005 2:03:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

Click on Start, then go into Settings, then Control Panel. Double click on the Display
icon. Is there a tab in the box that opens for color? That's where you would be able to
change the color properties.
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2005 2:42:43 AM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 09:49:10 -0400, Mikey <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Click on Start, then go into Settings, then Control Panel. Double click on the Display
>icon. Is there a tab in the box that opens for color? That's where you would be able to
>change the color properties.

I don't see a tab like that. When I was able to adjust the color I had a different hard
disk. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with the drivers I'm using. They may be
different from the ones I had on the other hard disk. Thanks.
May 7, 2005 4:35:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

I adjust with a ColorVision Spyder2 Pro.

www.colorvision.com

I process a lot of photos for printing. This is worth it's weight in gold.

G-Man

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
> whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
> adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
> forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2005 7:05:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Are you sure you have the correct video card driver (what does it say in
Device Manager) and that your monitor connection to the computer is solid
(not loose or crimped funny)? Did your old monitor look good? If so, then
you probably just have a poor or defective monitor.

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
> whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
> adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
> forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2005 10:11:23 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:05:39 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote:

>Are you sure you have the correct video card driver (what does it say in
>Device Manager) and that your monitor connection to the computer is solid
>(not loose or crimped funny)?

Yes the drivers are correct. Device manager says STB Velocity 128. The cable looks
reasonable straight and the connection is tight.

> Did your old monitor look good? If so, then
>you probably just have a poor or defective monitor.

Yeah my old monitor looked fantastic, an aperture grille Iiyama. I'm sure my monitor is
the problem. Thanks.

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
>> whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
>> adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
>> forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2005 10:11:27 AM

On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:35:59 -0400, "G-Man" <shoot.digital@gmail.com> wrote:

>I adjust with a ColorVision Spyder2 Pro.
>
>www.colorvision.com
>
>I process a lot of photos for printing. This is worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks. I'll check it out. At this point I'm wondering if color adjustment will even help
much. The colors are so washed out I can't imagine anything making them look like they
should.

>G-Man
>

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
>> whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
>> adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
>> forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2005 3:04:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>

>>Honestly, I would not buy any computer or monitor with the HP brand name on it.
>

> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's very little selection.

In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.
May 7, 2005 4:26:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

hi,
have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
and
have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
and
do you have display properties at all?
(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
what options do you have-- any?
and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
May 7, 2005 8:22:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor! they
exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
this no brain decision. for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,
barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.

and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to! and the
latest video card drivers too! though given the state of the art system you
got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!
May 7, 2005 8:26:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...

Did you load these on your system? (W98 should work)
May 7, 2005 11:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

hi,
another thing to look at (imho) is the BIOS settings (likely not useful BUT...)
not sure what bios you have but under 'video configuration' (under 'advanced') are some
settings for video cards...
i don't see whether your video card was changed (or whether the card's an issue).... but
perhaps changing the settings in the BIOS might help (the settings explain what they're for)
(make sure before changing anything that you write down what it was before changing)
again i'd FIRST see whether your new monitor is a lemon:)  by trying it on another pc.... also
try the old monitor on the dell again...
hth
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:29:52 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:04:05 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>

>>>Honestly, I would not buy any computer or monitor with the HP brand name on it.
>>

>> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's very little selection.
>

>In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
>monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
>significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
>do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
>lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
>does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.

Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not at all good.
The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is not a good
monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with blurry text, brand
new. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:29:53 AM

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:04:05 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:
>

> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> >> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's
very little selection.

> >In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
> >monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
> >significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
> >do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
> >lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
> >does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.
>
> Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not
at all good.
> The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is
not a good
> monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with
blurry text, brand
> new. Thanks.

Seriously, when was the last time you had your eyes checked?!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:30:05 AM

On Sat, 7 May 2005 16:22:22 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote:

>for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor!

That's a good idea.

> they
>exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
>this no brain decision.

I looked at 7 or 8 CRT monitors and picked the best one. As I said there isn't much of a
selection available.

> for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,

It's only 7 years old. I bought it in '98. ;-)

>barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.
>
>and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to!

For what purpose? Several people have told me I don't need them and they gave good
reasons.

> and the
>latest video card drivers too!

As I said, I have them.

> though given the state of the art system you
>got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!

Based on what you've written, you know nothing. Did you name a single high quality CRT
brand and model? No.

"Just get a good monitor."
"Install the monitor drivers that you don't need and that require an OS you don't have."
"Look for a good monitor."
"Get the video card drivers you already have."

Thanks for the valuable advice, Einstein.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:30:06 AM

> On Sat, 7 May 2005 16:22:22 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote:
>
> >for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor!
>
> That's a good idea.
>
> > they
> >exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
> >this no brain decision.
>
> I looked at 7 or 8 CRT monitors and picked the best one. As I said there
isn't much of a
> selection available.

Well then stop whining and settle for mediocrity unless you want to do your
research and buy from a reputable dealer on the web. There are several of
them. www.newegg.com is a local favorite.

> > for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,
>
> It's only 7 years old. I bought it in '98. ;-)

Great, it was obsolete when bought it. Like them bargains huh?!

> >barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.
> >
> >and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to!
>
> For what purpose? Several people have told me I don't need them and they
gave good
> reasons.

Gee, you think these monitor manufacturers give you this stuff because its
useless? It provides information to the OS and video system. If you had a
new OS that came with the drivers loaded then no issue. But you have a
dinosaur that was written 10 years before your mointor was built. Last I
knew, W95 wasn't telepathic! Please read up on it before believing
everything you read on the web.

> > and the
> >latest video card drivers too!
>
> As I said, I have them.

Right... And how old is that video card? Could it also be heading south on
you?

> > though given the state of the art system you
> >got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!
> >

> Based on what you've written, you know nothing. Did you name a single high
quality CRT
> brand and model? No.

Got a great Samsung LCD. I don't buy monitors anymore so you're going to
have to do your own research. There are still decent ones out there. But
why buy an HP that's a retag of some China knockoff? What do you expect?

> "Just get a good monitor."
> "Install the monitor drivers that you don't need and that require an OS
you don't have."
> "Look for a good monitor."
> "Get the video card drivers you already have."
>
> Thanks for the valuable advice, Einstein.

You're rather clueless so I doubt any amount of advice, even from Einstein,
will help you. Why don't you just wait until Dell is running a special that
involves one of their 17"Ultrasharp LCDs on a 4700 and then go for it. Your
system is so archaic it is ridiculous to put any money into it. I saw
better systems in the heap at the recycle drive today!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:30:15 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>hi,
>have you tried the new monitor on another machine?

No.

>and
>have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?

No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and having a red tint
to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable sure the problem
was with the old monitor.

>and
>do you have display properties at all?
>(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
>what options do you have-- any?

Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.

>and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?

It's the same screen.

>if you have an option to increase resolution try it...

Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good for a 17" monitor.
Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:30:16 AM

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
wrote:

> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
whatever you want. I
> >> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
adjusment on the
> >> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC.
I forgot how to
> >> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >hi,
> >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
>
> No.
>
> >and
> >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
>
> No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and
having a red tint
> to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable
sure the problem
> was with the old monitor.
>
> >and
> >do you have display properties at all?
> >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
> >what options do you have-- any?
>
> Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
>
> >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
>
> It's the same screen.
>
> >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
> >

> Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good
for a 17" monitor.
> Thanks.

It's got .28mm dot pitch. Not real great!
From your user manual: 1024 x 768 85 Hz (preferred user resolution)
May 8, 2005 6:30:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> >> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> >> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> >> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >hi,
> >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
>
> No.

if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!

> >and
> >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
>
> No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and having a red tint
> to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable sure the problem
> was with the old monitor.

since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off...... perhaps you can reseat
it?

> >and
> >do you have display properties at all?
> >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
> >what options do you have-- any?
>
> Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
>
> >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
>
> It's the same screen.
>
> >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
> >

> Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good for a 17" monitor.
> Thanks.

just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....

when you choose settings, what options do you have?
there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should have the color? do you?
if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.
i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached to pc.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:30:17 AM

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya
<tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

PC. I forgot how to

> > >hi,
> > >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
> >
> > No.
>
> if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!
>

> > >and
> > >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
> >
> > No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and
having a red tint
> > to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am
reasonable sure the problem
> > was with the old monitor.
>
> since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off......
perhaps you can reseat
> it?
>
> > >and
> > >do you have display properties at all?
> > >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
> > >what options do you have-- any?
> >
> > Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
> >
> > >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
> >
> > It's the same screen.
> >
> > >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
> > >

> > Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good
for a 17" monitor.
> > Thanks.
>
> just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....
>

> when you choose settings, what options do you have?
> there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should
have the color? do you?
> if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.
> i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached
to pc.

AND there are no broken pins!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 6:30:20 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:18:25 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>hi,
>another thing to look at (imho) is the BIOS settings (likely not useful BUT...)
>not sure what bios you have but under 'video configuration' (under 'advanced') are some
>settings for video cards...
>i don't see whether your video card was changed (or whether the card's an issue).... but
>perhaps changing the settings in the BIOS might help (the settings explain what they're for)
>(make sure before changing anything that you write down what it was before changing)
>again i'd FIRST see whether your new monitor is a lemon:)  by trying it on another pc.... also
>try the old monitor on the dell again...
>hth

I don't think the BIOS will help. I think a CRT should work okay without any BIOS changes.
See my other reply to you about trouble shooting. Thanks for your suggestions.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 7:04:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

As always, the mass market stores sell low-priced junk, even with a name brand
on it. The mass market stores and the name brand companies figure they can sell
schlock to the masses... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 May 2005 02:29:52 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:04:05 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:
>

>>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's very little selection.
>>

>>In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
>>monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
>>significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
>>do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
>>lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
>>does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.
>
>Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not at all good.
>The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is not a good
>monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with blurry text, brand
>new. Thanks.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 10:29:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Right click an empty spot on the desktop.
Click Properties
Click settings
Is there a color setting now?
High color or True color etc.

Elly's Tinnitus Resources
http://eebee.net/

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>On Fri, 06 May 2005 09:49:10 -0400, Mikey <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:
>

>>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>>Click on Start, then go into Settings, then Control Panel. Double click on the Display
>>icon. Is there a tab in the box that opens for color? That's where you would be able to
>>change the color properties.
>
>I don't see a tab like that. When I was able to adjust the color I had a different hard
>disk. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with the drivers I'm using. They may be
>different from the ones I had on the other hard disk. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2005 10:29:19 AM

On Sun, 08 May 2005 06:29:18 +1000, Elly Byrne <elly@eebee.net.noway> wrote:

>Right click an empty spot on the desktop.
>Click Properties
>Click settings
>Is there a color setting now?
>High color or True color etc.

I have it set to 32 bit color.

>Elly's Tinnitus Resources
>http://eebee.net/
>

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>>Click on Start, then go into Settings, then Control Panel. Double click on the Display
>>>icon. Is there a tab in the box that opens for color? That's where you would be able to
>>>change the color properties.
>>
>>I don't see a tab like that. When I was able to adjust the color I had a different hard
>>disk. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with the drivers I'm using. They may be
>>different from the ones I had on the other hard disk. Thanks.
May 8, 2005 5:53:17 PM

Jess wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> whatever you want. I
> adjusment on the
> PC. I forgot how to

> > > No.
> >
> > if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!

> > > No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and
> having a red tint
> > > to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am
> reasonable sure the problem
> > > was with the old monitor.
> >
> > since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off......
> perhaps you can reseat
> > it?

> > > Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.

> > > It's the same screen.

> > > Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good
> for a 17" monitor.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....
> >

> > when you choose settings, what options do you have?
> > there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should
> have the color? do you?
> > if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.
> > i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached
> to pc.
>
> AND there are no broken pins!

yes a broken pin........

also here are two unLikely longShots:
1. is there by any chance a protective *film* on the monitor??? (i have received
new monitors with a covering film (like a plastic) however it is usually pretty
obvious...)
2. or have you tried cleaning (a part of) it?
(just 2 unlikely possibilities...)
:)
May 8, 2005 7:51:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

If, after updating the video driver and installing the monitor driver,
you still have trouble, take the bloody monitor back to the dealer. The
monitor is defective if the colors are washed out looking with the
proper drivers. Quit whining and do something about it.

Why are you still running Win95? It's not supported by anyone.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:09:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Sat, 7 May 2005 23:05:33 -0400, "ZX Racer" <ZXRacer@TheTrack.com> wrote:

Why are you using two names, arnie? That's what trolls do.

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 7 May 2005 16:22:22 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote:
>>
>> >for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor!
>>
>> That's a good idea.
>>
>> > they
>> >exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
>> >this no brain decision.
>>
>> I looked at 7 or 8 CRT monitors and picked the best one. As I said there
>isn't much of a
>> selection available.
>
>Well then stop whining and settle for mediocrity unless you want to do your
>research and buy from a reputable dealer on the web. There are several of
>them. www.newegg.com is a local favorite.

Stop whining about my whining. I know newegg has a good reputation. That is no help unless
they are selling something I want to buy. Also buying a monitor without first seeing it is
a bad idea and if you have to return it to an online company then you pay for shipping
twice and there may be a restocking fee.

>> > for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,
>>
>> It's only 7 years old. I bought it in '98. ;-)
>
>Great, it was obsolete when bought it. Like them bargains huh?!

It was the newest OS when I bought it. You aren't too bright are you?

>> >barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.
>> >
>> >and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to!
>>
>> For what purpose? Several people have told me I don't need them and they
>gave good
>> reasons.
>
>Gee, you think these monitor manufacturers give you this stuff because its
>useless? It provides information to the OS and video system. If you had a
>new OS that came with the drivers loaded then no issue. But you have a
>dinosaur that was written 10 years before your mointor was built. Last I
>knew, W95 wasn't telepathic! Please read up on it before believing
>everything you read on the web.

You first. You haven't said anything to support your statement that the OS has anything to
do with it or that drivers would fix the problem.

I didn't say drivers were useless. Drivers won't fix the color problem, that's not what
they are intended for. Several people in this group have told me that and they told me the
reasons.The fact that my old monitor worked fine without any drivers supports this. I've
also switched monitors with computers several times with no problem. It's a common trouble
shooting technique and doesn't require drivers with CRTs.

>> > and the
>> >latest video card drivers too!
>>
>> As I said, I have them.
>
>Right... And how old is that video card? Could it also be heading south on
>you?

I already explained why I know the graphics card is working properly.

>> > though given the state of the art system you
>> >got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!
>> >

>> Based on what you've written, you know nothing. Did you name a single high
>quality CRT
>> brand and model? No.
>
>Got a great Samsung LCD.

Isn't that special.

> I don't buy monitors anymore so you're going to
>have to do your own research. There are still decent ones out there. But
>why buy an HP that's a retag of some China knockoff? What do you expect?

I did not ask you to do any research. You think a Korean knockoff is any better than a
Chinese one? Samsung has a bad reputation. If you got a good Samsung product it could be
just dumb luck. Very dumb.

>> "Just get a good monitor."
>> "Install the monitor drivers that you don't need and that require an OS
>you don't have."
>> "Look for a good monitor."
>> "Get the video card drivers you already have."
>>
>> Thanks for the valuable advice, Einstein.
>
>You're rather clueless so I doubt any amount of advice, even from Einstein,
>will help you.

Well then advice from an angry, name changing dope like you certainly won't.

> Why don't you just wait until Dell is running a special that
>involves one of their 17"Ultrasharp LCDs on a 4700 and then go for it. Your
>system is so archaic it is ridiculous to put any money into it. I saw
>better systems in the heap at the recycle drive today!

A monitor can be used with any computer.

"Buy a new computer. Don't buy a monitor and use it with a computer that works fine."

You are soooo smart.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:09:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

yup, you know it all bucko! the topper is you're whining about the color on
a new monitor after ignoring the manufacturers instructions to load the
monitor drivers. windows default drivers are being used. ever here the
phrase, "lowest common denominator"? and not just today's lowest common
denominator, but the lowest common denominator TEN YEARS AGO. i got some
ancient monitors lying around here i'll sell you since you seem to like old
stuff!

> [...]
> >you don't have."
> >> "Look for a good monitor."
> >> "Get the video card drivers you already have."
> >>
> >> Thanks for the valuable advice, Einstein.
> >
> >You're rather clueless so I doubt any amount of advice, even from
Einstein,
> >will help you.
>
> Well then advice from an angry, name changing dope like you certainly
won't.

> > Why don't you just wait until Dell is running a special that
> >involves one of their 17"Ultrasharp LCDs on a 4700 and then go for it.
Your
> >system is so archaic it is ridiculous to put any money into it. I saw
> >better systems in the heap at the recycle drive today!
>
> A monitor can be used with any computer.
>
> "Buy a new computer. Don't buy a monitor and use it with a computer that

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:11:29 AM

On Sun, 08 May 2005 03:04:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>As always, the mass market stores sell low-priced junk, even with a name brand
>on it. The mass market stores and the name brand companies figure they can sell
>schlock to the masses... Ben Myers

I believe you. There doesn't seem to be much of an alternative unless I know of a good
monitor and buy it from an online company. I found 3 aperature grille monitors on the
sites of Viewsonic, and Mitsubishi/NEC but no one is selling them. They might be
discontinued models. With no recent CRT reviews and nothing good to look at in stores it's
not easy finding a good model.

Maybe I'll look for some other stores that aren't the big national chains. PC Connection
used to have stores. Maybe I can find something similar.

>On Sun, 08 May 2005 02:29:52 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>>In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
>>>monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
>>>significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
>>>do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
>>>lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
>>>does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.
>>
>>Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not at all good.
>>The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is not a good
>>monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with blurry text, brand
>>new. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:13:34 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 23:52:10 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>> >hi,
>> >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
>>
>> No.
>
>if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!
>

>> >and
>> >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
>>
>> No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and having a red tint
>> to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable sure the problem
>> was with the old monitor.
>
>since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off...... perhaps you can reseat
>it?

It seems unlikely. The problem with the old monitor was the color would switch back and
forth between everything being purple and looking the way it should look. It also had dark
horizontal lines, not the kind that all aperture grille monitors have. The new monitor has
nothing like that. Also a knowledgable person here and some other people have told me that
these are symptoms of an old monitor that's on the way out.

>> >and
>> >do you have display properties at all?
>> >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
>> >what options do you have-- any?
>>
>> Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
>>
>> >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
>>
>> It's the same screen.
>>
>> >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
>> >

>> Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good for a 17" monitor.
>> Thanks.
>
>just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....

I tried the next higher resolution, 1024x768. There was no improvement.

>when you choose settings, what options do you have?

Font size, color pallette, i.e. 32 bits, etc. and resolution.

>there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should have the color? do you?

The advanced button doesn't show me a tab for color admustment and the tabs don't have
anything on them for adjusting color.

>if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.

I have the color set to 32 bits. I tried the 16 bit color and it does not help.

>i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached to pc.

Yes. Thank you.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:21:05 AM

On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:53:17 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>Jess wrote:
>
>> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message

>> whatever you want. I
>> adjusment on the
>> PC. I forgot how to

>> > if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!

>> having a red tint
>> reasonable sure the problem
>> >
>> > since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off......
>> perhaps you can reseat
>> > it?

>> for a 17" monitor.
>> >
>> > just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....
>> >

>> > when you choose settings, what options do you have?
>> > there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should
>> have the color? do you?
>> > if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.
>> > i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached
>> to pc.
>>
>> AND there are no broken pins!
>
>yes a broken pin........
>
>also here are two unLikely longShots:
>1. is there by any chance a protective *film* on the monitor??? (i have received
>new monitors with a covering film (like a plastic) however it is usually pretty
>obvious...)
>2. or have you tried cleaning (a part of) it?
>(just 2 unlikely possibilities...)
>:)

It's clean, no coating or broken pins. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 10:10:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>Right click an empty spot on the desktop.
>>Click Properties
>>Click settings
>>Is there a color setting now?
>>High color or True color etc.
>>

>I have it set to 32 bit color.

Try one of the other settings and see what happens.

Elly's Tinnitus Resources
http://eebee.net/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 10:10:08 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 06:10:07 +1000, Elly Byrne <elly@eebee.net.noway> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>>>Right click an empty spot on the desktop.
>>>Click Properties
>>>Click settings
>>>Is there a color setting now?
>>>High color or True color etc.
>>>

>>I have it set to 32 bit color.
>
>Try one of the other settings and see what happens.

I did. No improvement.

>Elly's Tinnitus Resources
>http://eebee.net/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 1:31:06 PM

On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:58:07 -0400, "ZX Racer" <ZXRacer@TheTrack.com>
wrote:

>yup, you know it all bucko! the topper is you're whining about the color on
>a new monitor after ignoring the manufacturers instructions to load the
>monitor drivers. windows default drivers are being used. ever here the
>phrase, "lowest common denominator"? and not just today's lowest common
>denominator, but the lowest common denominator TEN YEARS AGO. i got some
>ancient monitors lying around here i'll sell you since you seem to like old
>stuff!

CRT monitors do not have drivers. There are inf files which tell
Windows what are the appropriate settings (limits) for the CRT
monitor. Video cards need drivers - the monitor then just "follows
along".

> [...]
>better than a
>> Chinese one? Samsung has a bad reputation. If you got a good Samsung
>product it could be
>> just dumb luck. Very dumb.

>> >you don't have."

>> >You're rather clueless so I doubt any amount of advice, even from
>Einstein,
>> >will help you.
>>
>> Well then advice from an angry, name changing dope like you certainly
>won't.
>>
>> > Why don't you just wait until Dell is running a special that
>> >involves one of their 17"Ultrasharp LCDs on a 4700 and then go for it.
>Your
>> >system is so archaic it is ridiculous to put any money into it. I saw
>> >better systems in the heap at the recycle drive today!
>>
>> A monitor can be used with any computer.
>>
>> "Buy a new computer. Don't buy a monitor and use it with a computer that

May 9, 2005 4:47:32 PM

Mr. Johnson, I would feel left out if I did not add my 2 cents worth. I
am amazed at the volume of responses to your question. ...So here is another
one!
I (like you) enjoy my Win95b machine. Not for lack of money and not for lack
of machines as we have 7 PC's in my home, 5 Win98SE, 1 XP and my trusty
Win95. I have set up enough different Win95 machines to conclude that the
"color" tab in the "Display Properties" folder is not normally part of
Win95b. It is only there if you have particular video cards with the OEM
drivers. I am betting since you believe that you used to have a "color" tab
that trying some more video card drivers might be key to saving this
monitor's future with you. driverguide.com sometimes can be beneficial. I
also like some of the girls ideas, that is try swapping this Monitor with
another, and vice versa... this monitor on a different PC. I know this is
not always possible but in school we were taught that sometimes it is the
only way to isolate a problem, (that being why won't a normal video card run
a normal monitor "normally" with out adjusting the color and contrast?) I
feel for you , sometimes you get the feeling that the simplest things are
just too much to ask! Good luck!

--
Jerry
May 9, 2005 8:59:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

> CRT monitors do not have drivers. There are inf files which tell
> Windows what are the appropriate settings (limits) for the CRT
> monitor. Video cards need drivers - the monitor then just "follows
> along".

everybody refers to them as monitor drivers so I do to.
btw did you ever notice boot disks don't look like a boot either? ;-)
May 9, 2005 9:54:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:53:17 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >Jess wrote:
> >
> >> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> >> whatever you want. I
> >> adjusment on the
> >> PC. I forgot how to

> >> having a red tint
> >> reasonable sure the problem

> >> perhaps you can reseat

> >> for a 17" monitor.

> >> have the color? do you?
> >> to pc.
> >>
> >> AND there are no broken pins!
> >
> >yes a broken pin........
> >
> >also here are two unLikely longShots:
> >1. is there by any chance a protective *film* on the monitor??? (i have received
> >new monitors with a covering film (like a plastic) however it is usually pretty
> >obvious...)
> >2. or have you tried cleaning (a part of) it?
> >(just 2 unlikely possibilities...)
> >:)
> >

> It's clean, no coating or broken pins. Thanks.

hi
i agree with Jerry (below) that it is a video card driver issue.....
i had similar with a great monitor (still have it) and a win95 pc after reloading
windows 95b:
the colors were faded (desktop, any program etc...) and there were minimal if any
options and none to adjust it... (in display properties)
i had to <?upDate?> reinstall the drivers and this fixed it!

also you should reseat your video card (older video cards might require this at
times....)
and
as far as monitor drivers: i sometimes use a mac (apple) monitor with win95/98 pcs
with no problem at all (i don't think that older windows versions come with mac
monitor drivers...could be wrong...)

fwiw, i would still be curious how the monitor functions on another pc;

i'd do the above BEFORE returning the monitor
sincerely
Tanya
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 8:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:58:07 -0400, "ZX Racer" <ZXRacer@TheTrack.com> wrote:

>yup, you know it all bucko!

No irony there, Arnie/ZXRacer.

> the topper is you're whining about the color on
>a new monitor after ignoring the manufacturers instructions to load the
>monitor drivers.

Wah Mommy, the bad man doesn't want to take advice from an obnoxious, arrogant, name
changing ignoramus.

http://www.sony-cp.com/en/support/faq/

Are Sony monitors compatible with all graphics cards?
All current Sony monitors are Multiscan products. There is no one exact frequency
required for any resolution. In general, we STRONGLY recommend using VESA timings,
because Sony monitors operate properly in that mode. However, if these timings are not
useful, all our monitors will operate within a wide range of frequencies. Furthermore,
please check in the Specifications paragraph of the user's manual for the recommended
resolution.

***** A common misconception is that there are monitor drivers for video cards. This
is little more than a file containing a list of scan frequencies and resolutions.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

What do they know? They only make monitors. Now you should admit you're a dummy who
doesn't know what he is talking about and STFU.

> windows default drivers are being used. ever here the
>phrase, "lowest common denominator"? and not just today's lowest common
>denominator, but the lowest common denominator TEN YEARS AGO. i got some
>ancient monitors lying around here i'll sell you since you seem to like old
>stuff!

"My monitor is better than your monitor." Next you'll tell me your father can beat up my
father.

Don't you have anything better to do like racing around the living room?
<zoom zoom> I'm ZX Racer. <neeeerrrrrroooooooohhhuuuuuu>
May 10, 2005 8:00:55 AM

> On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:58:07 -0400, "ZX Racer" <ZXRacer@TheTrack.com>
wrote:

> >yup, you know it all bucko!
>
> No irony there, Arnie/ZXRacer.
>
> > the topper is you're whining about the color on
> >a new monitor after ignoring the manufacturers instructions to load the
> >monitor drivers.
>
> Wah Mommy, the bad man doesn't want to take advice from an obnoxious,
arrogant, name
> changing ignoramus.
>
> http://www.sony-cp.com/en/support/faq/
>
> Are Sony monitors compatible with all graphics cards?
> All current Sony monitors are Multiscan products. There is no one exact
frequency
> required for any resolution. In general, we STRONGLY recommend using VESA
timings,
> because Sony monitors operate properly in that mode. However, if these
timings are not
> useful, all our monitors will operate within a wide range of frequencies.
Furthermore,
> please check in the Specifications paragraph of the user's manual for the
recommended
> resolution.
>
> ***** A common misconception is that there are monitor drivers for video
cards. This
> is little more than a file containing a list of scan frequencies and
resolutions.

> MUAHAHAHAHAHAAH!
>
> What do they know? They only make monitors. Now you should admit you're a
dummy who
> doesn't know what he is talking about and STFU.
>

> > windows default drivers are being used. ever here the
> >phrase, "lowest common denominator"? and not just today's lowest common
> >denominator, but the lowest common denominator TEN YEARS AGO. i got some
> >ancient monitors lying around here i'll sell you since you seem to like
old
> >stuff!
> >

> "My monitor is better than your monitor." Next you'll tell me your father
can beat up my
> father.
>
> Don't you have anything better to do like racing around the living room?
> <zoom zoom> I'm ZX Racer. <neeeerrrrrroooooooohhhuuuuuu>

I don't give a flyin' f*&% what you do or don't do. You're the idiot with a
problem. All my monitors work just fine! Nice beeeauuuutiful displays.

But what seems to be your basic aversion to follow the instructions from the
manufacturer of the equipment you just bought? Especially when you don't
like what you see on the monitor? I guess you know better than them about
their equipment? Dolts like you are why they invented the RTFM acronym.

Now for God's sake go buy a decent monitor (a monochrome would fit nicely
with that dinosaur), a decent video card, a decent system, a decent OS and
follow installation directions and spare us the whining. Or are you gonna
be back here next decade with this dinosaur complaining that you can't get
your ISA modem to work?!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 11:40:55 AM

On Mon, 9 May 2005 16:59:56 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com>
wrote:

>> CRT monitors do not have drivers. There are inf files which tell
>> Windows what are the appropriate settings (limits) for the CRT
>> monitor. Video cards need drivers - the monitor then just "follows
>> along".
>
>everybody refers to them as monitor drivers so I do to.
>btw did you ever notice boot disks don't look like a boot either? ;-)

Well not everybody as I don't :<P Point is you need a driver for a
video card to work at its full potential; you don't need a monitor
"driver" as you can set the monitor parameters without it - the inf
file is helpful but not essential
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 3:14:37 PM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 17:54:13 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>> >yes a broken pin........
>> >
>> >also here are two unLikely longShots:
>> >1. is there by any chance a protective *film* on the monitor??? (i have received
>> >new monitors with a covering film (like a plastic) however it is usually pretty
>> >obvious...)
>> >2. or have you tried cleaning (a part of) it?
>> >(just 2 unlikely possibilities...)
>> >:)
>> >

>> It's clean, no coating or broken pins. Thanks.

>hi
>i agree with Jerry (below) that it is a video card driver issue.....
>i had similar with a great monitor (still have it) and a win95 pc after reloading
>windows 95b:
>the colors were faded (desktop, any program etc...) and there were minimal if any
>options and none to adjust it... (in display properties)
>i had to <?upDate?> reinstall the drivers and this fixed it!
>
>also you should reseat your video card (older video cards might require this at
>times....)
>and
>as far as monitor drivers: i sometimes use a mac (apple) monitor with win95/98 pcs
>with no problem at all (i don't think that older windows versions come with mac
>monitor drivers...could be wrong...)
>
>fwiw, i would still be curious how the monitor functions on another pc;
>
>i'd do the above BEFORE returning the monitor
>sincerely
>Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I don't think the graphics card drivers are the problem. They worked fine with my older
monitor and they are the most recent ones from Dell. I think the lack of a color
adjustment is because Dell didn't include that feature in the drivers. I had some old
drivers from Nvidia that did have this feature. The Nvidiia drivers were updated since
then and the new ones don't work too well so I don't use them. Unfortunately I haven't
been able to find the old drivers from Nvidia. Thanks.
May 10, 2005 3:14:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 17:54:13 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> >> It's clean, no coating or broken pins. Thanks.
>
> >hi
> >i agree with Jerry (below) that it is a video card driver issue.....
> >i had similar with a great monitor (still have it) and a win95 pc after reloading
> >windows 95b:
> >the colors were faded (desktop, any program etc...) and there were minimal if any
> >options and none to adjust it... (in display properties)
> >i had to <?upDate?> reinstall the drivers and this fixed it!
> >
> >also you should reseat your video card (older video cards might require this at
> >times....)
> >and
> >as far as monitor drivers: i sometimes use a mac (apple) monitor with win95/98 pcs
> >with no problem at all (i don't think that older windows versions come with mac
> >monitor drivers...could be wrong...)
> >
> >fwiw, i would still be curious how the monitor functions on another pc;
> >
> >i'd do the above BEFORE returning the monitor
> >sincerely
> >Tanya
> >

> Hi Tanya,
>
> I don't think the graphics card drivers are the problem. They worked fine with my older
> monitor and they are the most recent ones from Dell. I think the lack of a color
> adjustment is because Dell didn't include that feature in the drivers. I had some old
> drivers from Nvidia that did have this feature. The Nvidiia drivers were updated since
> then and the new ones don't work too well so I don't use them. Unfortunately I haven't
> been able to find the old drivers from Nvidia. Thanks.

hi,
can you post (or repost?) your video card information?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 3:14:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Mon, 9 May 2005 16:59:56 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote:

>> CRT monitors do not have drivers. There are inf files which tell
>> Windows what are the appropriate settings (limits) for the CRT
>> monitor. Video cards need drivers - the monitor then just "follows
>> along".
>
>everybody refers to them as monitor drivers so I do to.
>btw did you ever notice boot disks don't look like a boot either? ;-)

<Whoosh> The sound of his point going over your empty head.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 11, 2005 5:20:53 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 03:13:34 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>On Sat, 07 May 2005 23:52:10 -0400, Tanya wrote:
>>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>> No.
>>if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!
Agreed.

>>> No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and having a red tint
>>> to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable sure the problem
>>> was with the old monitor.

Yes, it most likely was a dry solder joint or something, causing one
of the RGB color guns to dip out. Sometimes a wonky signal cable can
do that too. If it affects the whole display, it's likely that; if it
affects a part of the display as a soft-edged "wash", then degaussing
the screen (and keeping speakers and other magnets away) may help.

>>> Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.

Drill into Settings - that's where you'll see color depths, refresh
rates, etc. Look out for extra tabs to these dialog boxes that your
SVGA (graphic card) drivers may have added; these may have options to
control gamma, brightness etc. and if those were cranked up for an old
monitor with fading tube, then that may be why the new one looks too
bright. Try resetting any fancy settings to default first.

Sick monitors can go out in different ways.

One way is where the screen is maximally bright and washed out, no
matter what you do with the monitor's settings; often the focus is
fuzzy too. This would be unusual for a new monitor.

Another way is for the screen to get darker and darker, so that you
have to ramp up brightness and contrast to see anything at all. If
the old monitor was doing that, and you'd chased after it via controls
on the PC, then that may be why the new one looks too bright.

Finally, monitor signal cable extensions can dull the screen image,
but that's usually the opposite of what you are complaining about
here. Once again, a setting invoked to balance this effect (e.g. if
your old monitor was connected via a splitter or something) may cause
a new and "normal" monitor to look wrong.

>>there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should have the color? do you?

>The advanced button doesn't show me a tab for color admustment and the tabs don't have
>anything on them for adjusting color.

You should not need to adjust color from the PC to make a new monitror
look normal. Either there are inappropriate settings already in
effect, or it's a duff monitor.

I take it you have tried all the settings on the monitor itself? If
no, do so! That's the place to start.

Finally - no reason to change from Win95xx, especially just because
it's "not supported". You should make sure File and print Sharing is
not bound to your Internet connection, and that you don't full-share
all of C:\, and that IE is either older than IE 4.00 or is up to IE
5.01 SP2 or IE 5.5 SP2 to avoid the MIME-spoofing risk.

There are many new hardware devices that simply won't work on that PC,
such as USB sticks and modern USB printers (Win95B can support USB,
but modern USB hardware lacks drivers for Win95B). But this doesn't
apply to CRT monitors, which should just work when plugged in.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2005 6:35:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:20:53 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
<cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 May 2005 03:13:34 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>>if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!
>Agreed.

>Yes, it most likely was a dry solder joint or something, causing one
>of the RGB color guns to dip out. Sometimes a wonky signal cable can
>do that too. If it affects the whole display, it's likely that; if it
>affects a part of the display as a soft-edged "wash", then degaussing
>the screen (and keeping speakers and other magnets away) may help.

It's the whole screen.

>Drill into Settings - that's where you'll see color depths, refresh
>rates, etc. Look out for extra tabs to these dialog boxes that your
>SVGA (graphic card) drivers may have added; these may have options to
>control gamma, brightness etc. and if those were cranked up for an old
>monitor with fading tube, then that may be why the new one looks too
>bright. Try resetting any fancy settings to default first.

There are no gamma or other settings with these Dell drivers.

>Sick monitors can go out in different ways.
>
>One way is where the screen is maximally bright and washed out, no
>matter what you do with the monitor's settings; often the focus is
>fuzzy too. This would be unusual for a new monitor.
>
>Another way is for the screen to get darker and darker, so that you
>have to ramp up brightness and contrast to see anything at all. If
>the old monitor was doing that, and you'd chased after it via controls
>on the PC, then that may be why the new one looks too bright.
>
>Finally, monitor signal cable extensions can dull the screen image,
>but that's usually the opposite of what you are complaining about
>here. Once again, a setting invoked to balance this effect (e.g. if
>your old monitor was connected via a splitter or something) may cause
>a new and "normal" monitor to look wrong.

It's just an ordinary cable, permanently attached to the monitor so if the cable goes bad
you throw out the monitor. ;-) :)

>>>there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should have the color? do you?
>
>>The advanced button doesn't show me a tab for color admustment and the tabs don't have
>>anything on them for adjusting color.
>
>You should not need to adjust color from the PC to make a new monitror
>look normal. Either there are inappropriate settings already in
>effect, or it's a duff monitor.
>
>I take it you have tried all the settings on the monitor itself? If
>no, do so! That's the place to start.

Yes. Contrast and brightness are all there is to work with. The others are for moire,
degauss, pincushion, etc.

>Finally - no reason to change from Win95xx, especially just because
>it's "not supported". You should make sure File and print Sharing is
>not bound to your Internet connection, and that you don't full-share
>all of C:\, and that IE is either older than IE 4.00 or is up to IE
>5.01 SP2 or IE 5.5 SP2 to avoid the MIME-spoofing risk.

The option for web sharing is grayed out for all drives and folders.

>There are many new hardware devices that simply won't work on that PC,
>such as USB sticks and modern USB printers (Win95B can support USB,
>but modern USB hardware lacks drivers for Win95B). But this doesn't
>apply to CRT monitors, which should just work when plugged in.

I think all companies discontinued USB support for Windows 95 a short time after Win98
came out. I think they just gave up on it because it didn't work too well. It's almost
funny that I've got the USB ports and there was never much or any software to make them
work.

Thanks for all the information.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2005 6:36:13 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:24:37 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>> >hi
>> >i agree with Jerry (below) that it is a video card driver issue.....
>> >i had similar with a great monitor (still have it) and a win95 pc after reloading
>> >windows 95b:
>> >the colors were faded (desktop, any program etc...) and there were minimal if any
>> >options and none to adjust it... (in display properties)
>> >i had to <?upDate?> reinstall the drivers and this fixed it!
>> >
>> >also you should reseat your video card (older video cards might require this at
>> >times....)
>> >and
>> >as far as monitor drivers: i sometimes use a mac (apple) monitor with win95/98 pcs
>> >with no problem at all (i don't think that older windows versions come with mac
>> >monitor drivers...could be wrong...)
>> >
>> >fwiw, i would still be curious how the monitor functions on another pc;
>> >
>> >i'd do the above BEFORE returning the monitor
>> >sincerely
>> >Tanya
>> >

>> Hi Tanya,
>>
>> I don't think the graphics card drivers are the problem. They worked fine with my older
>> monitor and they are the most recent ones from Dell. I think the lack of a color
>> adjustment is because Dell didn't include that feature in the drivers. I had some old
>> drivers from Nvidia that did have this feature. The Nvidiia drivers were updated since
>> then and the new ones don't work too well so I don't use them. Unfortunately I haven't
>> been able to find the old drivers from Nvidia. Thanks.
>
>hi,
>can you post (or repost?) your video card information?

It's an STB Velocity 128 Dell OEM card.
May 18, 2005 8:03:21 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:29:50 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nospam. wrote:

>Thanks Tanya. I've decided to stick with the one I have. I found two I might
>like but no one sells them, an NEC FE770 and an IBM C170. Other than CompUSA and
>the appliance chains, there are no computer stores in my area except for some
>that don't keep anything in stock, not even display models. The local Dell store
>sells the NEC but there's no display model so they are no help. Gateway sells
>the IBM but they closed all their stores. ;-) I could order them but since no
>one reviews CRT monitors anymore I'd have to hope for the best and I don't want
>to do that. It's too late anyway. Thursday is the last day I can return the new
>monitor and I can't afford to be without a monitor while I wait for a new one.
>I'd get an LCD at this point but I don't think they will work with my old OS,
>Windows 95. I'm guessing Win95 wouldn't know anything about the 5:4 resolution
>so I'd get a messed up picture if it would even display anything. Monitor
>drivers wouldn't help since they won't work with this old OS.

Get one of these:

http://search.ebay.com/dell-p780_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2005 7:43:10 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:03:21 -0700, Curious <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:29:50 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nospam. wrote:
>>
>>Thanks Tanya. I've decided to stick with the one I have. I found two I might
>>like but no one sells them, an NEC FE770 and an IBM C170. Other than CompUSA and
>>the appliance chains, there are no computer stores in my area except for some
>>that don't keep anything in stock, not even display models. The local Dell store
>>sells the NEC but there's no display model so they are no help. Gateway sells
>>the IBM but they closed all their stores. ;-) I could order them but since no
>>one reviews CRT monitors anymore I'd have to hope for the best and I don't want
>>to do that. It's too late anyway. Thursday is the last day I can return the new
>>monitor and I can't afford to be without a monitor while I wait for a new one.
>>I'd get an LCD at this point but I don't think they will work with my old OS,
>>Windows 95. I'm guessing Win95 wouldn't know anything about the 5:4 resolution
>>so I'd get a messed up picture if it would even display anything. Monitor
>>drivers wouldn't help since they won't work with this old OS.
>
>Get one of these:
>
>http://search.ebay.com/dell-p780_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I'll think about it. There are a lot of them. $35 or $45 seems a bit steep for shipping. I
have to do some research before I buy anything on ebay. I don't know anything about it.
Thanks.
!