Sign in with
Your question

Any tricks for using a mobile P4 in a regular PC?

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2006 6:30:04 PM

I made the mistake of bidding on a Mobile P4, socket 478 1.6 Ghz processor and winning. Not a bad price, but I missed the mobile part. I have a regular socket 478 motherboard (Asus Rambus board). Can I use a regular heat sink on the processor (it has a much smaller contact on top, compared to normal processors)? It came with a notebook style heat sink, but it doesn't have the same mounting style as a regular motherboard. Are there other things to worry about? I noticed Crashman mentioned that you can bump the FSB to 800mhz?
Thanks for any help!

More about : tricks mobile regular

January 30, 2006 6:55:24 PM

The short answer is yes. But you're going to have spend money to do it.

1st you need this adapter:

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?cart_id=&Pagecode=1|CPUX&Item_code=MBAC_ASUS_T4_79&USER_ID=

Then you need to use the adapter in the following compatible Asus motherboards:

ASUS P4P800-VM
ASUS P4GPL-X
ASUS P4GD1
ASUS P4P800-E
ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE
ASUS P4P800 SE

Read this article for further information and reviews:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/intel-pentium-m...

-mpjesse
January 30, 2006 7:06:57 PM

It looks like that is a socket 479 to 478 converter. However, my mobo is socket 478, as is my cpu. I won't need that adapter, will I?
Related resources
January 30, 2006 7:26:45 PM

just to clarify, that's a 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 mobile, not a 1.6Ghz Pentium M, right?
January 30, 2006 7:42:47 PM

Oh my bad. I thought you had a Socket 479 Pentium-M on your hands there.

Not sure if Pentium 4 Mobile will work in mobo... can't hurt to try though right?

-mpjesse
January 31, 2006 10:49:30 AM

Quote:
just to clarify, that's a 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 mobile, not a 1.6Ghz Pentium M, right?

Ummm... How do I tell the difference? According to Intel, it's both: "SL5YU = Mobile IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 Processor-M".

It looks like it would fit in a regular socket 478, but it the top of the CPU is different from a normal desktop CPU. Instead of a metal plate covering the entire top, there is only a small square metal section in the middle. Would a regular heat sink work sitting on top of that?
January 31, 2006 6:55:35 PM

Anyone have any ideas?
January 31, 2006 7:10:35 PM

Mobile product dont have the heat sink spreader as you are refering to as the metal plate. Heat sink on top will be fine just be careful with it. The heat sink spreader is put on to protect the cpu as well as disapate heat.
I dont know if it will work, but you can try it.
January 31, 2006 7:15:10 PM

it's like an athlon xp, just be careful not to crush the chip with the heatsink. anyone know if voltage would be a problem? if a normal p4 requires more voltage and the motherboard defaults to that, it could damage the chip right?
February 7, 2006 7:33:32 AM

So, did you try it? Does it work?
!