How can I update IE 4.0?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?

I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I can't
find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or something
like that).
10 answers Last reply
More about update
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?
    >
    > I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I
    can't
    > find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or something
    > like that).

    For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use

    http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    Hugh Candlin wrote:

    > "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?
    > >
    > > I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I
    > can't
    > > find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or something
    > > like that).
    >
    > For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    >
    > http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe

    hi,
    i tried the url that you posted (to upDate i.e. 4.x also) and got a file not
    found?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    I got that "file not found" also. But when I went to browser.evolt.org I
    was able to find OE 5.5 sp2 easily enough.

    Thanks!

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >
    >> "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> > How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?
    >> >
    >> > I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I
    >> can't
    >> > find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or
    >> > something
    >> > like that).
    >>
    >> For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    >>
    >> http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
    >
    > hi,
    > i tried the url that you posted (to upDate i.e. 4.x also) and got a file
    > not
    > found?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >
    > > "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > > > How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?
    > > >
    > > > I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I
    > > can't
    > > > find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or
    something
    > > > like that).
    > >
    > > For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    > >
    > > http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
    >
    > hi,
    > i tried the url that you posted (to upDate i.e. 4.x also) and got a file
    not
    > found?

    I KNOW it looks like the same link, but try

    http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    Hi,

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >
    >> "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> > How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?
    >> >
    >> > I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I
    >> can't
    >> > find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or
    >> > something
    >> > like that).
    >>
    >> For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    >>
    >> http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
    >
    > hi,
    > i tried the url that you posted (to upDate i.e. 4.x also) and got a file
    > not
    > found?

    you can try with online
    http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/msie/ie55sp2/default.asp
    or offline installation
    http://browsers.webhack.com/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie55sp2.exe
    http://www.petri.co.il/download_other_ie_versions.htm
    http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2

    Some useful links:
    http://members.tripod.com/erpman1/iewmpupd.html
    http://erpman1.tripod.com/w95ntupd.html
    http://www.oldfiles.org.uk/lightspeed/Active_Desktop.html
    http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/
    http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/ie.html
    http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_mastering_active_desktop.htm

    Cheers,
    Roman
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    roman modic wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > >
    > >> "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message

    > >> can't
    > >>
    > >> For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    > >>
    > >> http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
    > >
    > > hi,
    > > i tried the url that you posted (to upDate i.e. 4.x also) and got a file
    > > not
    > > found?
    > >

    > you can try with online
    > http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/msie/ie55sp2/default.asp
    > or offline installation
    > http://browsers.webhack.com/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie55sp2.exe
    > http://www.petri.co.il/download_other_ie_versions.htm
    > http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2
    >
    > Some useful links:
    > http://members.tripod.com/erpman1/iewmpupd.html
    > http://erpman1.tripod.com/w95ntupd.html
    > http://www.oldfiles.org.uk/lightspeed/Active_Desktop.html
    > http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/
    > http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/ie.html
    > http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_mastering_active_desktop.htm
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Roman

    thank you, Roman,
    the links are very helpful!
    sincerely
    Tanya
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    Hugh Candlin wrote:

    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > >
    > > > "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message

    > > > can't
    > something
    > > >
    > > > For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    > > >
    > > > http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
    > >
    > > hi,
    > > i tried the url that you posted (to upDate i.e. 4.x also) and got a file
    > not
    > > found?
    >
    > I KNOW it looks like the same link, but try
    >
    > http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe

    thank you
    it does work!
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    Hugh, Apparently, if one clicks directly on that link, one gets a "File Not Found".
    If one goes to the same link through here, it works:
    http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2
    (~84MB download....not for those on dial-up)
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I update Internet Explorer 4.0.?
    > >
    > > I've done a clean install of Windows 95 OEM. It comes with IE 4.0. I
    > can't
    > > find where to update it. OE 6 only updates OE 5.0 or later (or something
    > > like that).
    >
    > For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    >
    > http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    > Hugh, Apparently, if one clicks directly on that link, one gets a "File
    Not Found".
    > If one goes to the same link through here, it works:
    > http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2
    > (~84MB download....not for those on dial-up)

    This one works

    http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe

    I actually did download that via dialup many moons ago.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

    It is not the same link.
    Remove one character and it is valid.
    http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe
    http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.internetexplorer.win95, "glee"
    <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:

    >Hugh, Apparently, if one clicks directly on that link, one gets a "File Not Found".
    >If one goes to the same link through here, it works:
    >http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2
    >(~84MB download....not for those on dial-up)
    >--
    >Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    >"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> For Win 95, this is the latest Internet Explorer that you should use
    >>
    >> http://browsers.evolt.org/down­load.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie5­5sp2.exe

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows