Ugh! Complete disaster involving win95 and F4!!!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 6:48:13 PM

I got a laptop from a yardsale and it was a Compaq - Contura 4/25. It was
running win95. Stupid me, I saw something that said "press F4 to boot
previous system" and so I pressed it. Well the computer froze, and when I
tried to use a Win95 bootdisk from bootdisk.com,(and some other places) my
laptop says "non-System disk or disk error". I need some serious help please
:'(  .
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 7:52:09 PM

Also, sometimes when I use the bootdisk, it makes a sound like its reading
it, but then it does nothing......:'(

"Broken memories :'( " wrote:

> I got a laptop from a yardsale and it was a Compaq - Contura 4/25. It was
> running win95. Stupid me, I saw something that said "press F4 to boot
> previous system" and so I pressed it. Well the computer froze, and when I
> tried to use a Win95 bootdisk from bootdisk.com,(and some other places) my
> laptop says "non-System disk or disk error". I need some serious help please
> :'(  .
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2005 3:02:06 AM

The first thing you need to do is get a boot floppy working. Perhaps you are using
a bad floppy diskette....have you tried making a boot disk with more than the one
disk? Are you sure you are making the boot floppy correctly? You don't just
download or copy the downloaded files to the floppy disk. The program you download
from bootdisk.com is a *bootdisk maker* utility.

You download it on another computer, to a folder on its hard drive. Then you
double-click the downloaded file to start the bootdisk maker, insert a blank floppy
disk in the drive and follow the prompts. When finished making the boot disk, you
then bring it to the problem machine and start with it.

Do you know what version of Win95 is installed on the laptop? (Win95 original,
Win95A, Win95B or C?)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm