5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
So now I can spend $1200 on my computer. That is including shipping, the os, and good productivity software. Help me out, this is my first build.If you have any thing you think is bad tell me another thing that is better in the same price range. Also feel free to change the whole system around as long as you keep it in the budget.

Specs

Revision 6

Case - 70.99
XION XION II

PSU - 49.99
Fortron 450W

Mobo - 129.99
DFI Lanparty UT nF4

Hard Drive - 89.00
Seagate Barracuda 160Gb

Video Card - 295.00
eVGA 7800GT

RAM - 169.00
G.Skill 2Gb

Processor - 301.00
AMD Opteron 165

OS - 99.99
Windows XP

Other Asorted Goodies - 35.47

Total Price (Inclu. ship.) - 1319.85

You will notice there is no optical drive. That is because I am taking it from my old crappy HP.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No to Maxtor - yes to Seagate or WD ...

No to Works and just dl Open Office for free - much more powerful than Works and it opens and saves Word files.

Money you save from Works can be used for mid-level sound card (Audigy), better mouse/keyboard or nice wireing.

FreshMeat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
That case is going to be loud 3x80mm fans and 1x120mm fan. Try something like the Antec Sonata II. Keeps things nice and cool/quite and has great build quality. Also has a better quality PSU. Nothing worse than trying to track down build problems caused by a crappy PSU.

Unless you really like the looks of the Aspire.

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
No to Maxtor - yes to Seagate or WD ...

No to Works and just dl Open Office for free - much more powerful than Works and it opens and saves Word files.

Money you save from Works can be used for mid-level sound card (Audigy), better mouse/keyboard or nice wireing.

I was just about to say everything that you just said!

another vote for Seagate/WD and Open Office! use the cash for other stuff. OO is one of the best office suites around. Almost exactly the same as MS office(i'm not kidding).

FreshMeat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I didn't say that it wasn't a good looking case. Just that it would be quite loud. Also, that case has a huge window, and it is awfully hard to make the inside of your case look nice when you have so many fan's (learned from personal experience). I have a buddy with this exact same case, and I think that it looks sloppy inside (he has 5 fans in his) and it is loud. But if you can manage to route all your cables then it may look much better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - if he thinks that it is good looking, then that is all that really matters.

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - if he thinks that it is good looking, then that is all that really matters.

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes streight to the bone...

If you decide to go windowless, I suggest CoolerMaster Centurian cases. I think they are nice looking and they don't have a door which, at least to me, drives me nuts (they break off, etc.)

FreshMeat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I have built a system using that case (shoe-horned 5 hd's into it) - it is a nice looking case as well.

I don't mind the door's myself (cleaner looking, keeps the kids from pressing to many buttons, etc...). I've never had one break on me either :)

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Revision 1

Specs

Revision 1

Case - 99.99
Aspire X-Navigator

Mobo - 129.99
DFI Lanparty UT nF4

Hard Drive - 89.00
Seagate Barracuda 160Gb

Video Card - 295.00
eVGA 7800GT

RAM - 80.50
Patriot Signature Series 1gb

Productivity - 81.95
Microsoft Office Standard

Processor - 301.00
AMD X2 3800+

OS - 88.95
Windows XP
___________________________________________________________________________________

Total Price (Inclu. ship.) - 1253.91

Part of my extended buget was getting regular productivity software. I went smaller on the hard drive for better performance. I really like this case and I probably will spend a lot of time wiring it and it only has 4 fans so it should't be to bad. Like I said if you don't like something suggest another thing.

Dybowski

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
i would suggest getting the 6800gs if youre not a hardcore gamer i LAN alot and it has been fine for all games i throw at it at 1024x1280 2xaa and 8xaf.

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The dual core AMD beats the AMD single cores in everything except gaming. How much better is the single core in gaming? A lot of places say that the games out right now don't take advantage of the dual cores but they will later. Does this mean the performance of the dual cores will beat the single cores in the future?

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
That would be because it comes with the case.

Edit:Wow open Office is great from my first breif overview. So forget the productivity software.Woot, Woot. Down with microsoft.

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Revision 2

Case - 99.99
Aspire X-Navigator

Hard Drive - 89.00
Seagate Barracuda 160Gb

Video Card - 295.00
eVGA 7800GT

RAM - 194.00
G.Skill Extreme

Processor - 301.00
AMD X2 3800+

OS - 88.95
Windows XP
___________________________________________________________________________________

Total Price (Inclu. ship.) - 1235.45

No productivity software so I got some more RAM.

Dybowski

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
if your getting a dfi board i reccomend a better power supply, 1gb of ram will show you no difference than 2gb in most situations except bf2 and other memory hungry games whereit has to cache from drive but this will only help loading times. (correct me if im wrong) i would suggest getting a antec neohe 500w psu it powers my 6800gs sli on a lanparty UT Sli-Dr fine. and its modular :)

edbrooks

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
if your getting a dfi board i reccomend a better power supply, 1gb of ram will show you no difference than 2gb in most situations except bf2 and other memory hungry games whereit has to cache from drive but this will only help loading times. (correct me if im wrong) i would suggest getting a antec neohe 500w psu it powers my 6800gs sli on a lanparty UT Sli-Dr fine. and its modular :)

The built in PSU is more than adequate. Don't believe the hype. If you like doing useful things with your computer you will find 2 GB useful.

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Revision 3

Case - 99.99
Aspire X-plorer

PSU - 69.99
Raidmax Aurora

Mobo - 129.99
DFI Lanparty UT nF4

Hard Drive - 89.00
Seagate Barracuda 160Gb

Video Card - 295.00
eVGA 7800GT

RAM - 194.00
G.Skill

Processor - 301.00
AMD X2 3800+

OS - 88.95
Windows XP

Total Price (Inclu. ship.) - 1235.45

Got some cheaper ram for a better power supply.