windows95b -- cd-rom in dos -- correct ng?

tanya

hello,
this is NOT urgent...
hope this is the correct group...
win95b pc: the cd-rom is ide but is in a media console (goes to card
(media console controller card) in an isa slot)
am unable to get the pc to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos.
i am however able to get it to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos PROMPT
under windows.

i have several cd-rom ide drivers (in C:\windows\command) but do not
know which are the ones to use.
(as an aside, there is also a doskey.com file in win\command)
btw, i may have asked this in the past -- so sorry -- but i never did
find out....

do i need something to tell ms-dos where the cd-rom resides? or simply
that the cd-rom is ide.
also, the cd-rom drive letter: in windows it is 'g' (same with dos
prompt (also g)) but since there currently is 1 drive C (ezBIOS) and an
ide zip drive, i would guess that the cd-rom in native dos should be
e??)

finally, i realize that there are programs that can be installed to find
out drivers on the computer but (also for other reasons) i don't want to
instal one since i doubt the program could assess this pc as it is
nonStandard.
i would like to know where in the win registry i can find out what
drivers the cd-rom and the media console are using
thank you in advance!

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> this is NOT urgent...
> hope this is the correct group...
> win95b pc: the cd-rom is ide but is in a media console (goes to card
> (media console controller card) in an isa slot)
> am unable to get the pc to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos.
> i am however able to get it to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos PROMPT
> under windows.

The drivers for the sound card and cd rom drive are being loaded by windows
for the ms-dos prompt. Look at the config.dos and autoexec.dos files and
copy the appropriate lines to the configy.sys and autoexec.bat files that
your ms-dos uses.

> i have several cd-rom ide drivers (in C:\windows\command) but do not
> know which are the ones to use.
> (as an aside, there is also a doskey.com file in win\command)
> btw, i may have asked this in the past -- so sorry -- but i never did
> find out....
>
> do i need something to tell ms-dos where the cd-rom resides? or simply
> that the cd-rom is ide.
> also, the cd-rom drive letter: in windows it is 'g' (same with dos
> prompt (also g)) but since there currently is 1 drive C (ezBIOS) and an
> ide zip drive, i would guess that the cd-rom in native dos should be
> e??)
>
> finally, i realize that there are programs that can be installed to find
> out drivers on the computer but (also for other reasons) i don't want to
> instal one since i doubt the program could assess this pc as it is
> nonStandard.
> i would like to know where in the win registry i can find out what
> drivers the cd-rom and the media console are using
> thank you in advance!

tanya

hi Kay,
thanks for replying!
i do not seem to have files named autoexec.dos or config.dos
where are they? (i.e. what folder?)
thanks!
sincerely
Tanya

Kay Archer wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hello,
> > this is NOT urgent...
> > hope this is the correct group...
> > win95b pc: the cd-rom is ide but is in a media console (goes to card
> > (media console controller card) in an isa slot)
> > am unable to get the pc to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos.
> > i am however able to get it to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos PROMPT
> > under windows.
> >
> The drivers for the sound card and cd rom drive are being loaded by windows
> for the ms-dos prompt. Look at the config.dos and autoexec.dos files and
> copy the appropriate lines to the configy.sys and autoexec.bat files that
> your ms-dos uses.
>
> > i have several cd-rom ide drivers (in C:\windows\command) but do not
> > know which are the ones to use.
> > (as an aside, there is also a doskey.com file in win\command)
> > btw, i may have asked this in the past -- so sorry -- but i never did
> > find out....
> >
> > do i need something to tell ms-dos where the cd-rom resides? or simply
> > that the cd-rom is ide.
> > also, the cd-rom drive letter: in windows it is 'g' (same with dos
> > prompt (also g)) but since there currently is 1 drive C (ezBIOS) and an
> > ide zip drive, i would guess that the cd-rom in native dos should be
> > e??)
> >
> > finally, i realize that there are programs that can be installed to find
> > out drivers on the computer but (also for other reasons) i don't want to
> > instal one since i doubt the program could assess this pc as it is
> > nonStandard.
> > i would like to know where in the win registry i can find out what
> > drivers the cd-rom and the media console are using
> > thank you in advance!

You will probably have to load DOS drivers for the media
console as well. If you can't identify the manufacturer of
the device, see if there is an FCC ID number on it.

http://www.driverzone.com/fcc_id_search.htm

Ben

> hi Kay,
> thanks for replying!
> i do not seem to have files named autoexec.dos or config.dos
> where are they? (i.e. what folder?)
> thanks!
> sincerely
> Tanya

The root folder. C:\

They may have other extensions (I'm working from memory).

HAGGIS

"Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> hi Kay,
>> thanks for replying!
>> i do not seem to have files named autoexec.dos or config.dos
>> where are they? (i.e. what folder?)
>> thanks!
>> sincerely
>> Tanya
>
> The root folder. C:\
>
> They may have other extensions (I'm working from memory).

If you cannot access your CD-ROM drive using the Windows 98 Startup disk
(DOS)

1.View the Autoexec.dos file and note the line referring to the Mscdex.exe
file.

2.Edit the Autoexec.bat file using a text editor such as the MS-DOS Editor.
Add the MSCDEX statement you noted in the Autoexec.dos file, and then save
the Autoexec.bat file.

3.View the Config.dos file and note the line referring to the CD-ROM driver.

4.Edit the Config.sys file using a text editor such as the MS-DOS Editor.
Add the CD-ROM driver line you noted in the Config.dos file, and then save
the Config.sys file.

tanya

thanks Ben,
i'll see what driverzone has....
thanks for the URL!
sincerely
Tanya

Ben Myers wrote:

> You will probably have to load DOS drivers for the media
> console as well. If you can't identify the manufacturer of
> the device, see if there is an FCC ID number on it.
>
> http://www.driverzone.com/fcc_id_search.htm
>
> Ben
>
> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:429CF98D.6BE205DA@attglobal.net...
> > hello,
> > this is NOT urgent...
> > hope this is the correct group...
> > win95b pc: the cd-rom is ide but is in a media console (goes to card
> > (media console controller card) in an isa slot)
> > am unable to get the pc to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos.
> > i am however able to get it to recognize the cd-rom in ms-dos PROMPT
> > under windows.
> >
> > i have several cd-rom ide drivers (in C:\windows\command) but do not
> > know which are the ones to use.
> > (as an aside, there is also a doskey.com file in win\command)
> > btw, i may have asked this in the past -- so sorry -- but i never did
> > find out....
> >
> > do i need something to tell ms-dos where the cd-rom resides? or simply
> > that the cd-rom is ide.
> > also, the cd-rom drive letter: in windows it is 'g' (same with dos
> > prompt (also g)) but since there currently is 1 drive C (ezBIOS) and an
> > ide zip drive, i would guess that the cd-rom in native dos should be
> > e??)
> >
> > finally, i realize that there are programs that can be installed to find
> > out drivers on the computer but (also for other reasons) i don't want to
> > instal one since i doubt the program could assess this pc as it is
> > nonStandard.
> > i would like to know where in the win registry i can find out what
> > drivers the cd-rom and the media console are using
> > thank you in advance!

tanya

Kay Archer wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hi Kay,
> > thanks for replying!
> > i do not seem to have files named autoexec.dos or config.dos
> > where are they? (i.e. what folder?)
> > thanks!
> > sincerely
> > Tanya
>
> The root folder. C:\
>
> They may have other extensions (I'm working from memory).

okay, thanks i just did a find and got: config.syd, config._av (in the
root directory) and, for autoexec. got autoexec.syd, and autoexec._av,
and autoexec.nav (i think that the .syd are the ones)
however got error during boot
error: no cd-rom drives detected at all.
error: device driver aborts loading.

[...]
device driver not found: 'IBMCD001'
no valid cd-rom device drivers selected

tanya

hi and thanks
[...below...]

Haggis wrote:

> "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> hi Kay,
> >> thanks for replying!
> >> i do not seem to have files named autoexec.dos or config.dos
> >> where are they? (i.e. what folder?)
> >> thanks!
> >> sincerely
> >> Tanya
> >
> > The root folder. C:\
> >
> > They may have other extensions (I'm working from memory).
> >

> If you cannot access your CD-ROM drive using the Windows 98 Startup disk
> (DOS)
>
> 1.View the Autoexec.dos file and note the line referring to the Mscdex.exe
> file.

i only have the autoexec.syd
and i copied the lines

> 2.Edit the Autoexec.bat file using a text editor such as the MS-DOS Editor.
> Add the MSCDEX statement you noted in the Autoexec.dos file, and then save
> the Autoexec.bat file.
>
> 3.View the Config.dos file and note the line referring to the CD-ROM driver.
>
> 4.Edit the Config.sys file using a text editor such as the MS-DOS Editor.
> Add the CD-ROM driver line you noted in the Config.dos file, and then save
> the Config.sys file.

i currently get errors informing me that the drivers / etc. are wrong...

error: no cd-rom drives detected at all.
error: device driver aborts loading.

[...]
device driver not found: 'IBMCD001'
no valid cd-rom device drivers selected

?
thanks

HAGGIS

> Kay Archer wrote:
>
>> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> > hi Kay,
>> > thanks for replying!
>> > i do not seem to have files named autoexec.dos or config.dos
>> > where are they? (i.e. what folder?)
>> > thanks!
>> > sincerely
>> > Tanya
>>
>> The root folder. C:\
>>
>> They may have other extensions (I'm working from memory).
>
> okay, thanks i just did a find and got: config.syd, config._av (in the
> root directory) and, for autoexec. got autoexec.syd, and autoexec._av,
> and autoexec.nav (i think that the .syd are the ones)
> however got error during boot
> error: no cd-rom drives detected at all.
> error: device driver aborts loading.
>
> [...]
> device driver not found: 'IBMCD001'
> no valid cd-rom device drivers selected

it is not detecting the IDE chennel on the sound card ...do you have a DOS
setup utility for the sound card?

within that there should be a section to enable and change settings for the
onboard IDE.

tanya

Haggis wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Kay Archer wrote:
> >
> >> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> The root folder. C:\
> >>
> >> They may have other extensions (I'm working from memory).
> >
> > okay, thanks i just did a find and got: config.syd, config._av (in the
> > root directory) and, for autoexec. got autoexec.syd, and autoexec._av,
> > and autoexec.nav (i think that the .syd are the ones)
> > however got error during boot
> > error: no cd-rom drives detected at all.
> > error: device driver aborts loading.
> >
> > [...]
> > device driver not found: 'IBMCD001'
> > no valid cd-rom device drivers selected
> >

> it is not detecting the IDE chennel on the sound card ...do you have a DOS
> setup utility for the sound card?

i think this is for the sound card:
cs4232c.exe

> within that there should be a section to enable and change settings for the
> onboard IDE.

thank you for replying!
here are the files:
config.sys
;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
;DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS /D:IBMCD001

;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001

autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
PATH C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
;C: \WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G

thanks!
sincerely
Tanya

HAGGIS

<snip>
> thank you for replying!
> here are the files:
> config.sys
> ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
> ;DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
>
> ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
>
> autoexec.bat
> SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
> C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> PATH C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
> ;C: \WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
>
> thanks!
> sincerely
> Tanya

looks a little messy :>

looks like originally you were using ibmidecd.sys then switched to
vide-cdd.sys....look in your C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ to see which one you have
(or both)

config.sys*****
device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 (maybe IBMIDECD.SYS ?
depending on what you find in the command folder )

autoexec.bat****
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
PATH C:\;C:\windows\command;C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;

hope that helps :>

tanya

hi Haggis,
thanks again!
[...below...]

Haggis wrote:

> <snip>
> > thank you for replying!
> > here are the files:
> > config.sys
> > ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> > device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
> > ;DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> >
> > ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> >
> > autoexec.bat
> > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
> > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> > PATH C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
> > ;C: \WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> >
> > thanks!
> > sincerely
> > Tanya
> >

> looks a little messy :>

i know:)
(this was trial and errorS on my part)

> looks like originally you were using ibmidecd.sys then switched to
> vide-cdd.sys....look in your C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ to see which one you have
> (or both)

unfortunately i have 3 in command:
ibmidecd.sys
idecdrom.sys
and...
vide-cdd.sys.

> config.sys*****
> device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 (maybe IBMIDECD.SYS ?
> depending on what you find in the command folder )
>
> autoexec.bat****
> SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
> C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> PATH C:\;C:\windows\command;C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
>
> hope that helps :>

i will try each...
thanks!
sincerely,
Tanya

HAGGIS

> hi Haggis,
> thanks again!
> [...below...]
>
> Haggis wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> > thank you for replying!
>> > here are the files:
>> > config.sys
>> > ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
>> > device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
>> > ;DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
>> >
>> > ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
>> > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
>> >
>> > autoexec.bat
>> > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
>> > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
>> > PATH C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
>> > ;C: \WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
>> >
>> > thanks!
>> > sincerely
>> > Tanya
>> >

>> looks a little messy :>
>
> i know:)
> (this was trial and errorS on my part)
>
>> looks like originally you were using ibmidecd.sys then switched to
>> vide-cdd.sys....look in your C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ to see which one you
>> have
>> (or both)
>
> unfortunately i have 3 in command:
> ibmidecd.sys
> idecdrom.sys
> and...
> vide-cdd.sys.
>

>> config.sys*****
>> device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
>> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 (maybe IBMIDECD.SYS ?
>> depending on what you find in the command folder )
>>
>> autoexec.bat****
>> SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
>> C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
>> PATH C:\;C:\windows\command;C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
>>
>> hope that helps :>
>
> i will try each...
> thanks!
> sincerely,
> Tanya

make sure you have c:\windows\command in your path statement :>
(vide-cdd.sys would my guess... )

Please repost with more information, including the manufacturer
and model of the media console.

Ben

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:429FCE7E.3A3EBE57@attglobal.net...
> hi Haggis,
> thanks again!
> [...below...]
>
> Haggis wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > > thank you for replying!
> > > here are the files:
> > > config.sys
> > > ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> > > device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
> > > ;DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> > >
> > > ;DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> > > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001
> > >
> > > autoexec.bat
> > > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
> > > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> > > PATH C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
> > > ;C: \WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > > sincerely
> > > Tanya
> > >

> > looks a little messy :>
>
> i know:)
> (this was trial and errorS on my part)
>
> > looks like originally you were using ibmidecd.sys then switched to
> > vide-cdd.sys....look in your C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ to see which one you have
> > (or both)
>
> unfortunately i have 3 in command:
> ibmidecd.sys
> idecdrom.sys
> and...
> vide-cdd.sys.
>

> > config.sys*****
> > device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
> > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 (maybe IBMIDECD.SYS ?
> > depending on what you find in the command folder )
> >
> > autoexec.bat****
> > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
> > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> > PATH C:\;C:\windows\command;C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
> >
> > hope that helps :>
>
> i will try each...
> thanks!
> sincerely,
> Tanya

tanya

hi Ben,
okay:
it is an ibm aptiva: 96 mb ram; 30 gb master drive (ezBIOS -- i don't think it has an effect on dos
HOWEVER, it does for making a boot disk... (also the cd-rom functions in the dos prompt under
windows)
cpu pentium w/ mmx) @200
the cd-rom is a matshita cd-rom cr 583

it has a zip drive; the cd-rom is ide and is in the *media console* (w/ the floppy drive and the
power switch) goes into the isa slot...
the hard drive is alone on the 1'ary ide controller (it had a slave -- 6.4 gb; d, e, f but wasn't
able to use the cd-rom in dos when the slave was attached either)
the computer can have 5 ide devices... (the cd-rom is on the 5th but i cannot change it to another
since it occurs via the media console)
the media console is made by ibm...
here are some links...

this shows how to remove the media console (and make the pc into a *normal* one.)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joeyr76/pc/removal.html
(the links to the board and disassembly are 404's)

this is the user's manual (really long to d/l though)

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/aptiva/p76h6287.pdf

here are some articles when it was first launched (this *arrangement* (media console) did not last
very long)
(a bit of history:)
IBM Aptiva
http://stargate.ca/Compu/html/cmpu1003.htm
(mine is the s90 which is not described)

IBM launches high-end Stealth home PCs
http://www.morochove.com/watch/cw/ff60926.htm

finally: this site explains how to make the cd-rom usable in ms-dos for aptiva(S)
http://members.aol.com/donnaskani/cd_dos.html
(the info did not work on mine)
thanks!
sincerely
Tanya
nb: the pc is running very well fwiw.....

Ben Myers wrote:

> Please repost with more information, including the manufacturer
> and model of the media console.
>
> Ben
>
> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:429FCE7E.3A3EBE57@attglobal.net...
> > hi Haggis,
> > thanks again!
> > [...below...]
> >
> > Haggis wrote:
> >
> > > <snip>

> > > looks a little messy :>
> >
> > i know:)
> > (this was trial and errorS on my part)
> >
> > > looks like originally you were using ibmidecd.sys then switched to
> > > vide-cdd.sys....look in your C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ to see which one you have
> > > (or both)
> >
> > unfortunately i have 3 in command:
> > ibmidecd.sys
> > idecdrom.sys
> > and...
> > vide-cdd.sys.
> >

> > > config.sys*****
> > > device=C:\WINDOWS\cs4232c.exe
> > > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 (maybe IBMIDECD.SYS ?
> > > depending on what you find in the command folder )
> > >
> > > autoexec.bat****
> > > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
> > > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /M:4 /V /L:G
> > > PATH C:\;C:\windows\command;C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;
> > >
> > > hope that helps :>
> >
> > i will try each...
> > thanks!
> > sincerely,
> > Tanya

You might try IBM's hardware diagnostic program.

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-39306

Ben

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:42A3BAAC.A0D072ED@attglobal.net...
> hi Ben,
> okay:
> it is an ibm aptiva: 96 mb ram; 30 gb master drive (ezBIOS -- i don't think it has an effect on dos
> HOWEVER, it does for making a boot disk... (also the cd-rom functions in the dos prompt under
> windows)
> cpu pentium w/ mmx) @200
> the cd-rom is a matshita cd-rom cr 583
>
> it has a zip drive; the cd-rom is ide and is in the *media console* (w/ the floppy drive and the
> power switch) goes into the isa slot...
> the hard drive is alone on the 1'ary ide controller (it had a slave -- 6.4 gb; d, e, f but wasn't
> able to use the cd-rom in dos when the slave was attached either)
> the computer can have 5 ide devices... (the cd-rom is on the 5th but i cannot change it to another
> since it occurs via the media console)
> the media console is made by ibm...
> here are some links...
>
> this shows how to remove the media console (and make the pc into a *normal* one.)
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joeyr76/pc/removal.html
> (the links to the board and disassembly are 404's)
>
> this is the user's manual (really long to d/l though)
>
> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/aptiva/p76h6287.pdf
>
> here are some articles when it was first launched (this *arrangement* (media console) did not last
> very long)
> (a bit of history:)
> IBM Aptiva
> http://stargate.ca/Compu/html/cmpu1003.htm
> (mine is the s90 which is not described)
>
> IBM launches high-end Stealth home PCs
> http://www.morochove.com/watch/cw/ff60926.htm
>
> finally: this site explains how to make the cd-rom usable in ms-dos for aptiva(S)
> http://members.aol.com/donnaskani/cd_dos.html
> (the info did not work on mine)
> thanks!
> sincerely
> Tanya
> nb: the pc is running very well fwiw.....
>
> Ben Myers wrote:
>
> > Please repost with more information, including the manufacturer
> > and model of the media console.
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:429FCE7E.3A3EBE57@attglobal.net...
> > > hi Haggis,