cd rom in Safe Mode

Is it possible to be the cd rom to work in safe mode? I need to reinstall
some deleted programs to get the computer to stop booting in safe mode.

Thanks, John

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here's the link to The Microsoft Knowledge Base
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194846

I copied this from their page. And I have used this. It works if you do it
exactly as is written.

1. Restart your computer to a command prompt. To do so, use the appropriate
method:
• Windows 95
----------
Restart your computer, and when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message,
press F8, and then choose Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.
• Windows 98
----------
Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Command Prompt
Only from the Startup menu.

2. At the command prompt, type "win /d:m" (without quotation marks), and
then press ENTER.

--
Jerry

"kj69ss(remove this)@highstream.net" <kj69ss(remove this)@highstream.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4647C93-1BFA-442C-A75F-0EC32C3117AE@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to be the cd rom to work in safe mode? I need to reinstall
> some deleted programs to get the computer to stop booting in safe mode.
>
> Thanks, John

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows 95
version B boot disk. Rename the "a:\msdos.sys" file, then open Notepad,
copy and paste the following text into it and save it to the boot disk as
"a:\msdos.sys". Start the problem computer with the boot disk, then
type "win /d:m" and press "Enter". Please note that the CD drive will
probably be assigned drive letter R.

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
[Options]
BootGUI=0
;end

Ben

Thanks for the reply. But, I am still not able to use the cdrom. It does
not show up in Window explorer or when I go to "Run" on the start tab. I
have noticed that before windows is finished loading, the icon show up on the
desktop, that a message pops up " something to the effect of need to
restore reginstry - from back up copy" I have to hit the update and then the
do not restart computer now, or I am not able to get into windows. How do
I fix this? Can I use the cdrom in dos mode, to load the programs?

Thanks, John

"Jerry" wrote:

> Here's the link to The Microsoft Knowledge Base
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194846
>
> I copied this from their page. And I have used this. It works if you do it
> exactly as is written.
>
> 1. Restart your computer to a command prompt. To do so, use the appropriate
> method:
> • Windows 95
> ----------
> Restart your computer, and when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message,
> press F8, and then choose Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.
> • Windows 98
> ----------
> Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Command Prompt
> Only from the Startup menu.
>

> 2. At the command prompt, type "win /d:m" (without quotation marks), and
> then press ENTER.
>

> --
> Jerry

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dear John, I found out what I was doing wrong. I knew that I had used the
CD-ROM in safe mode before but as you found out, my memory didn't quite go
all the way! Here's the deal, before you do what either Ben or I told you,
you must also load a CD-ROM driver. There are lot's of drivers out there and
small differences in loading them. I use the "Oakcdrom.sys" driver that is
on all Win98SE machines as well as it's bootdisk. If you don't have access
to a Win98 machine go to the link that Ben gave you and download a "Win98
SE" bootdisk (you will need to actually make a floppy so that you can
actually get to the file) Copy the "Oakcdrom.sys" file to your C:\ (root of
your C drive) then paste the following in your Config.sys file (on your C
drive)

Device=Oakcdrom.sys /D:OEMCD001

Then paste the following into your Autoexec.bat file

IF EXIST OEMCD001 MSCDEX /D:OEMCD001 /M:10 /L:F

Now follow one of our previous directions
guarantied to work. Good luck!

--
Jerry

Jerry,

My computer is a win95. I will try what you said, but I tried last night by
using the " .sys " driver from the manuf. and when I re- started the
computer I received an error In Config.sys for the Device, on the line I
entered it on. I did not paste the name, but typed the line. Just as you
instructed with the exception of the .sys, file name.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Dear John, I found out what I was doing wrong. I knew that I had used the
> CD-ROM in safe mode before but as you found out, my memory didn't quite go
> all the way! Here's the deal, before you do what either Ben or I told you,
> you must also load a CD-ROM driver. There are lot's of drivers out there and
> small differences in loading them. I use the "Oakcdrom.sys" driver that is
> on all Win98SE machines as well as it's bootdisk. If you don't have access
> to a Win98 machine go to the link that Ben gave you and download a "Win98
> SE" bootdisk (you will need to actually make a floppy so that you can
> actually get to the file) Copy the "Oakcdrom.sys" file to your C:\ (root of
> your C drive) then paste the following in your Config.sys file (on your C
> drive)
>
> Device=Oakcdrom.sys /D:OEMCD001
>
> Then paste the following into your Autoexec.bat file
>
> IF EXIST OEMCD001 MSCDEX /D:OEMCD001 /M:10 /L:F
>
> Now follow one of our previous directions
> guarantied to work. Good luck!
>
> --
> Jerry

HAGGIS

> Jerry,
>
> My computer is a win95. I will try what you said, but I tried last night
> by
> using the " .sys " driver from the manuf. and when I re- started the
> computer I received an error In Config.sys for the Device, on the line I
> entered it on. I did not paste the name, but typed the line. Just as you
> instructed with the exception of the .sys, file name.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Dear John, I found out what I was doing wrong. I knew that I had used the
>> CD-ROM in safe mode before but as you found out, my memory didn't quite
>> go
>> all the way! Here's the deal, before you do what either Ben or I told
>> you,
>> you must also load a CD-ROM driver. There are lot's of drivers out there
>> and
>> small differences in loading them. I use the "Oakcdrom.sys" driver that
>> is
>> on all Win98SE machines as well as it's bootdisk. If you don't have
>> access
>> to a Win98 machine go to the link that Ben gave you and download a "Win98
>> SE" bootdisk (you will need to actually make a floppy so that you can
>> actually get to the file) Copy the "Oakcdrom.sys" file to your C:\ (root
>> of
>> your C drive) then paste the following in your Config.sys file (on your C
>> drive)
>>
>> Device=Oakcdrom.sys /D:OEMCD001
>>
>> Then paste the following into your Autoexec.bat file
>>
>> IF EXIST OEMCD001 MSCDEX /D:OEMCD001 /M:10 /L:F
>>
>> Now follow one of our previous directions
>> guarantied to work. Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Jerry

copy the mscdex.exe to c:\ then try those lines