Format C Drive & Install Win 98?

Hello All,

I have an older laptop with windows 95 on it that I am wanting to upgrade
to windows 98, how do I format the c: drive to be able to do that?

When I boot the pc up, and insert the win 98 cd, the system tells me there
is already an operating system installed ... and I cannot install win 98?

Any tips? suggestions?

thanks,

Brook
3 answers Last reply
More about format drive install

    "Brook" <Brook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D09FBC53-AB25-48BD-A6E3-3CD898529259@microsoft.com...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have an older laptop with windows 95 on it that I am wanting to upgrade
    > to windows 98, how do I format the c: drive to be able to do that?

    You can't format the drive to which Windows is installed, then expect to
    upgrade. Formatting erases all the files and directories.

    > When I boot the pc up, and insert the win 98 cd, the system tells me there
    > is already an operating system installed ... and I cannot install win 98?
    >
    > Any tips? suggestions?

    See if this is helpful.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html

    Ben

    You might start here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Brook"
    <Brook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    > I have an older laptop with windows 95 on it that I am wanting to upgrade
    >to windows 98, how do I format the c: drive to be able to do that?
    >
    > When I boot the pc up, and insert the win 98 cd, the system tells me there
    >is already an operating system installed ... and I cannot install win 98?
    >
    > Any tips? suggestions?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Brook
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Brook wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have an older laptop with windows 95 on it that I am wanting to upgrade
    > to windows 98, how do I format the c: drive to be able to do that?
    >
    > When I boot the pc up, and insert the win 98 cd, the system tells me there
    > is already an operating system installed ... and I cannot install win 98?
    >
    > Any tips? suggestions?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Brook

    There are several types of Windows installation media

    Many computers come with instalation files in a folder or directory on
    the hard drive. These folders and partitions may or may not be hidden
    from normal viewing in Windows Explorer. The manufacturer MAY have made
    provision in software that would allow the retail customer to back those
    files up on removeable media ONCE. The instalation / recovery provisions
    on the hard drive could easily be destroyed by ordinary drive formating
    or drive partitioning activity. (OEM without media)

    Microsoft commonly permits computer manufacturers to reproduce Windows
    instalation media with customization for the computer configuration (OEM
    with media). The manufacturers agree to assume Microsoft's place
    providing customer support for retail cuatomers purchasing those
    systems. The individual product keys and end user licenses are tied to
    an individual computer and cannot legitimately be used with a newer
    computer. This last restriction is sometimes enforced with hardware
    configuration verification during the OS installation process.
    Manufaturers are required to purchase adhesive Certificates of
    Authenticity (COAs) and include the COA with each computer sold. Some
    COAs were attached to thin "Getting Started..." manuals, but more recent
    ones have to be attached to the computer. Microsoft provides services on
    their web site allowing retail customers to determine if their COA is
    authentic.

    Retail Upgrade packages have provisions in their installation code that
    will verify the existance of a qualifying earlier OS. If the qualifying
    OS isn't installed on the computer the upgrade will ONLY install if the
    operator is able to insert valid installation media for the earlier OS.
    If you can't locate the removable installation media you will NOT be
    able to install the newer OS! Some earlier OS versions might not be
    considered qualifying prior products for the most recent OS versions
    (may also apply to application retail upgrades).

    Full Retail instalation packages don't care what you had before. As with
    the other types ONE and ONLY ONE computer per COA or Full version
    package. Full Retail packages are typicaly more expensive than Retail
    Upgrade packages, which in turn are typicaly more expensive than OEM
    licenses.

Format Windows