".local trick"??

The following URL has many downloads for browsers in "ZIP" files, but it says
that they won't work on W95 because "The .local trick wasn't added until
Windows 98 and Windows 2000."!! Does anybody know what that means??

http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads
8 answers Last reply
More about local trick

    The ".local" trick is a naming convention in active directory trees, which
    win95 doesn't completely understand....

    "Alan Cox via WindowsKB.com" <forum@nospam.WindowsKB.com> wrote in message
    > The following URL has many downloads for browsers in "ZIP" files, but it
    > says
    > that they won't work on W95 because "The .local trick wasn't added until
    > Windows 98 and Windows 2000."!! Does anybody know what that means??
    >
    > http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads

    "Alan Cox via WindowsKB.com" <forum@nospam.WindowsKB.com> wrote in message
    > The following URL has many downloads for browsers in "ZIP" files, but it
    > says
    > that they won't work on W95 because "The .local trick wasn't added until
    > Windows 98 and Windows 2000."!! Does anybody know what that means??
    >
    > http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads

    not exactly sure what they mean ...last version for win95 is ver5.5 SP2 (IE)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    In regard to the meaning of "The .local trick wasn't added until Windows 98
    and Windows 2000.", a person from another forum said the following:

    "Taking a stab, I think it refers to adding .local onto the end of your FQDN.
    This will differentiate it between your internal network and external domain
    name.
    ie
    http://www.network.com.local = internal
    http://www.network.com (no .local) is your Internet address"

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    #1. A person in another forum stated that I could download IE5.5SP2 from the
    following URL to my existing W95, but when I tried to do that, I found out
    that the download was ONLY an ie5setup.exe file of 499KB!!
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0A50996B-DEB9-4A46-81DA-ABEF1EBBD08A&displaylang=en

    #2. After doing a search for "Internet Explorer 5.5SP2" at the MS website, I
    found the following URL, but it was ONLY for a 2449 KB update!!:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en

    #3. After doing a search for "Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2" at the MS website, I
    found the following URL which listed 20 other URL's for various other updates
    &/or "patches", but NONE for the full browser!!:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...xplorer+5.5+SP2

    #4. After doing a search for "5.5 SP2" at the MS website, I found the
    following URL which listed 28 other URL's for various other updates &/or
    "patches", but NONE for the full browser!!:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...reeText=5.5+SP2

    #5. I'd previously downloaded IE5.5SP2 from EVOLT to a CD at a local library,
    but it wouldn't open properly on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS Laptop. I
    went back to the library again to download IE5.5SP2 from EVOLT to a CD again,
    but this time I opened the file on the library computer BEFORE I "burned" it
    on to a CD, & then after I got back home, I was able to install it on my
    laptop by opening the main file, & then by opening the Ie5setup file.
    http://evolt.org
    http://browsers.evolt.org
    http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie
    http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit
    http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2
    http://browsers.evolt.org/download....SP2/ie55sp2.exe

    #6. Despite the fact that there was a message during the installation of IE5.
    5SP2 that said that DCOM95 was being installed, when I tried to install AVG
    from GRISOFT, an error message said that DCOM95 was missing!! I reopened the
    main IE5.5SP2 file again, & then opened the DCOM95 file, but the error
    message said that DCOM95 was still missing!! I then downloaded DCOM95 from
    the following URL to a "floppie", & then opened the file on my "floppie" to a
    folder on my HD [hard disk], but the error message again said that DCOM95 was
    still missing!! Finally, after I went to the folder on the HD, & opened the
    DCOM95 file there, I was finally able to install AVG!!
    DCOM95 URL:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d7a4de78-81a9-4db7-beb6-84ff99342172&displaylang=en

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    F.Y.I., here's another URL for IE5.5SP2, & it appears to be a little faster
    than EVOLT:
    http://www.citynet.net
    http://www.citynet.net/supportdownload.cfm
    http://www.citynet.net/ie5.5.zip

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I reopened my IE5.5SP2 folder again to look at all of the files again, &
    there were some .exe files that I had questions about, & I couldn't find the
    answers in the "HELP" section:

    #1. There was a 74.6KB file named IE5COMP.EXE, & when I opened it, it said
    "This will install the Internet Explorer Compatibility Option", & it asked
    for "Yes" or "No", but after choosing "Yes", nothing else happened. Do you
    know why, & do you know what it's supposed to do?? Was it automatically
    installed with the rest of the browser??

    #2. There was a 2.67MB file named IEAK5.EXE, & when I opened it, it said "Do
    you want to install the Microsoft Internet Explorer Adminintration Kit 5.5?",
    & it asked for "Yes" or "No", & after choosing "Yes", it installed, & a
    message said "Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit 5.5 has been
    installed successfully". Do you know what it's supposed to do??

    #3. There was a 2.69MB file named IEAK5CD.EXE, & when I opened it, it said
    "Do you want to install the Microsoft Internet Explorer Adminintration Kit 5.
    5?", & it asked for "Yes" or "No" just like the IEAK5.EXE file, but after a
    MUCH LONGER time than for the IEAK5.EXE file, TWO error messages said "Error
    Copying File Cannot copy cd: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you
    specify the correct path & filename." AND "Error Copying File Cannot copy en:
    Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path &
    filename." Since the IE5.5SP2 CD was in the CDROM drive, do you know why this
    happened?? Do you know the differance between the IEAK5.EXE file & the
    IEAK5CD.EXE file??

    #4. There was a 466KB file named OAINST.EXE, & when I opened it, a window
    briefly appeared which showed that some files or data were moving, but there
    were no messages. Do you know what that meant??

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Alan Cox via WindowsKB.com" <forum@WindowsKB.com> wrote:

    >#2. There was a 2.67MB file named IEAK5.EXE, & when I opened it, it said "Do
    >you want to install the Microsoft Internet Explorer Adminintration Kit 5.5?",
    >& it asked for "Yes" or "No", & after choosing "Yes", it installed, & a
    >message said "Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit 5.5 has been
    >installed successfully". Do you know what it's supposed to do??

    ISPs and others use the IEAK to add their logos and other
    customizations to IE. End users have no need for it.

    >#3. There was a 2.69MB file named IEAK5CD.EXE, & when I opened it, it said
    >"Do you want to install the Microsoft Internet Explorer Adminintration Kit 5.
    >5?", & it asked for "Yes" or "No" just like the IEAK5.EXE file,

    You've just installed IEAK 5.5, now you are apparently trying to do it
    again. Since you're extremely unlikely ever to need IEAK, I wouldn't
    worry about error messages from the second installation attempt.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    I'm re-posting my 3rd post in this thread because some of the URL's didn't
    work!!:

    #1. A person in another forum stated that I could download IE5.5SP2 from the

    #2. After doing a search for "Internet Explorer 5.5SP2" at the MS website, I
    found the following URL, but it was ONLY for a 2449 KB update!!:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=be27f77c-3c2d-45f1-86df-2b71799da169&DisplayLang=en

    #3. After doing a search for "Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2" at the MS website, I
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?displaylang=en&freeText=Internet+Explorer+5.5+SP2

    #4. After doing a search for "5.5 SP2" at the MS website, I found the
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?displaylang=en&freeText=5.5+SP2

    #5. I'd previously downloaded IE5.5SP2 from EVOLT to a CD at a local library,
    http://www.evolt.org
    http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/ie55sp2.exe

    #6. Despite the fact that there was a message during the installation of IE5.
    5SP2 that said that DCOM95 was being installed, when I tried to install AVG
    from GRISOFT, an error message said that DCOM95 was missing!! I reopened the
    main IE5.5SP2 file again, & then opened the DCOM95 file, but the error
    message said that DCOM95 was still missing!! I then downloaded DCOM95 from
    the following URL to a "floppie", & then opened the file on my "floppie" to a
    folder on my HD [hard disk], but the error message again said that DCOM95 was
    still missing!! Finally, after I went to the folder on the HD, & opened the
    DCOM95 file there, I was finally able to install AVG!!
    DCOM95 URL:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d7a4de78-81a9-4db7-beb6-84ff99342172&displaylang=en

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows