memeory error

Help please

I have dual OS system and one of the OS's is win95(b). I just upgraded
my system with 1 gig on Memory, and now I get a "Not enough memory"
error. I know that there are some Hexidecmal codes for the Config SYS
to con trol how much mem the OS will use. Does anyone know the codes or
know where I can find them.

Privateer
3 answers Last reply
More about memeory error

    I doubt that the problem you are having requires adding hexidecimal
    codes to the EMM386 line. These codes used to be used to tell Windows
    about peculiarities of the operating system resident in the top range
    of RAM just below 1MB. However, you say your system was working fine
    before you added RAM and there is no reason why adding RAM would have
    altered the usage of this area.

    It is my conjecture that the problem you are having relates to space
    used for indexing memory. The OS stores various addresses in
    conventional memory and if it tries to store to many of these, it can
    run out of space for them. But with Windows 95 and higher, these
    indexes do not have to go into conventional memory; they can go into
    upper memory.

    Below is a MIcrosoft document that explains how to manage conventional
    memory. However, before trying any of this, I suggest that you try
    renaming both Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. For example, change the
    names to Config.syz and Autoexec.baz. You can easily undo this
    renaming if it doesn't help. I am guessing that maybe Windows can
    solve the problem on its own.

    PSS ID Number: 134399
    Article last modified on 04-21-1998

    95
    WINDOWS
    kbenv kbhowto

    - Microsoft Windows 98
    - Microsoft Windows 95
    - Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release versions 2, 2.1

    SUMMARY
    =======

    This article describes how to increase the amount of conventional
    memory available for MS-DOS-based programs in Windows 95. The
    following topics are discussed:

    - Determining current memory conditions
    - Making more conventional memory available

    MORE INFORMATION
    ================

    MS-DOS-based programs require a certain amount of conventional memory
    to run, even when you run them in Windows 95. If you attempt to run an
    MS-DOS-based program that requires more conventional memory than is
    currently available on your computer, the program may not run
    correctly or at all, and an error message indicating that there is
    insufficient memory to run the program may be displayed. When this
    occurs, you must reconfigure your computer so that more conventional
    memory is available.

    Determining Current Memory Conditions
    -------------------------------------

    To determine how much conventional memory is currently available for
    MS-DOS-based programs, type the following command at a command prompt,
    press ENTER, and then view the value on the Largest Executable Program
    Size line:

    mem /c

    If the value on the Largest Executable Program Size line is smaller
    than the amount of conventional memory required by the MS-DOS-based
    program you are trying to run, the program may not run correctly or at
    all until you reconfigure your computer. To determine how much
    conventional memory a particular MS-DOS-based program requires,
    consult the documentation included with the program, or contact the
    program's manufacturer.

    Making More Conventional Memory Available

    Device drivers and memory-resident programs that load from the
    Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files can reduce the amount of
    conventional memory available for MS-DOS-based programs. Increasing
    the amount of conventional memory that is available for MS-DOS-based
    programs typically involves removing unnecessary drivers and programs
    from the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files, replacing real-mode drivers
    in the Config.sys file with protected-mode versions, or loading
    drivers and programs into upper memory instead of conventional memory.

    Removing Unnecessary Drivers and Programs:

    To determine if a particular driver or memory-resident program in the
    Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file is required for your computer to
    function properly, consult the documentation included with the program
    or device that installed the driver or memory-resident program, or
    contact the program or device's manufacturer.

    If you are not sure which program or device installed a particular
    driver or memory-resident program, you can attempt to determine if the
    driver or program is necessary by temporarily disabling the
    corresponding line in the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. If your
    computer, the devices installed on your computer, and the programs you
    run on your computer all seem to function properly after you disable a
    line, the driver or memory-resident program may not be necessary.

    NOTE: Before you modify the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files, you
    should make backup copies of the files. Do not remove any hard disk
    drivers, disk partitioning drivers, or disk compression drivers while
    you are attempting to determine if the drivers and programs in your
    Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files are necessary. For information about
    specific drivers that should not be removed, please see chapter 35 of
    the Microsoft Windows 95 Resource Kit.

    Replacing Real-Mode Drivers with Protected-Mode Versions:

    Windows 95 includes protected-mode drivers for many devices. In
    addition, many hardware manufacturers provide protected-mode drivers
    for their devices. To attempt to install a Windows 95 protected-mode
    driver for a device installed on your computer, follow these steps:

    1. In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.

    2. Click Next, verify that Yes (Recommended) is selected, click Next,
    and then click Next again.

    If the Add New Hardware Wizard does not detect the device and install
    a protected-mode driver for it, you can attempt to install a Windows
    95 protected-mode driver for the device manually. To do so, follow
    these steps:

    1. In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.

    2. Click Next, click No, and then click Next.

    3. Click the type of device for which you are attempting to install a
    protected-mode driver in the Hardware Types box, and then click Next.

    4. Click the manufacturer of the device in the Manufacturers box. If
    the specific device appears in the Models box, click the device, and
    then click OK to install the protected-mode driver. If the
    manufacturer of the device does not appear in the Manufacturers box,
    or the specific device does not appear in the Models box, Windows 95
    does not include a protected-mode driver for the device.

    To determine if the hardware's manufacturer provides a protected-mode
    driver for the device, contact the device's manufacturer.

    To attempt to load one or more drivers or memory resident programs
    from the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files into upper memory, make sure
    that the Config.sys file contains lines similar to the following lines
    (in the following order):

    device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
    dos=high,umb
    devicehigh=c:\windows\command\drvspace.sys /move

    Then, try loading device drivers in the Config.sys file using the
    DEVICEHIGH command instead of the DEVICE command. In addition, try
    LOADHIGH command.

    NOTE: If your computer is configured so that expanded memory is
    available and you are loading the Mscdex.exe file from the
    Autoexec.bat file, you can attempt to load part of the Mscdex.exe file
    into expanded memory using the /E switch on the Mscdex.exe command
    line.

    REFERENCES
    ==========

    For additional information about increasing the amount of conventional
    memory that is available for MS-DOS-based programs in Windows 95,
    please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    ARTICLE-ID: 37242
    TITLE : A General Tutorial on the Various Forms of Memory

    ARTICLE-ID: 77083
    TITLE : Optimizing Your Use of Upper Memory Blocks

    ARTICLE-ID: 87165
    TITLE : Command-Line Switches for MSCDEX.EXE

    KBCategory: kbenv kbhowto
    KBSubcategory: win95 osr2 winmem
    Additional reference words: 95
    Version : 95
    Platform : WINDOWS
    Issue type : kbhowto
    Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    "Nick BAlducci" wrote

    > I have dual OS system and one of the OS's is win95(b). I just upgraded
    > my system with 1 gig on Memory, and now I get a "Not enough memory"
    > error. I know that there are some Hexidecmal codes for the Config SYS
    > to con trol how much mem the OS will use. Does anyone know the codes or
    > know where I can find them.

    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q253912/

    In a nutshell:

    Open System.ini with Notepad.
    Go to the [VCache] section.
    Change (or add) the line MaxFileCache=524288
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    #1: With all of the Windows 9x family you need to limit the amount of
    RAM that they can allocate to disk cache. Otherwise an excessively
    large disk cache will result in false "Out of memory" errors such as
    you are experiencing. With Windows 98, 98SE and Windows Me a fairly
    large disk cache, up to about 512 mb, can be beneficial because of the
    way memory management works in these versions. However with Windows
    95 the memory management is not that great in this aspect, and it has
    an annoying tendency never to reduce the disk cache size even when
    there are much better uses for this RAM. So with Windows 95 and 1 gb
    of RAM I would suggest that you limit the disk cache to not more than
    128 mb by adding the following line just below the existing [vcache]
    section header in the system.ini file:

    MaxFileCache=131072

    #2: If you are still experiencing problems then it may also be
    necessary to limit the total amount of RAM that Windows can access to
    a smaller amount. Normally this type of problem does not occur until
    you go beyond 1 gb, and some system are okay with as much as 1.5 gb
    before they need to limit Windows in this way.

    To limit Windows 95 to using not more than 512 mb of total RAM add the
    following line to the existig [386enh] section of the system.ini file:

    MaxPhysPage=20000

    While you may not need this entry at the moment it is possible that
    you will need it in future if you increase the total RAM in the
    computer again. Also a MaxPhysPage value of 30000 will restrict
    Windows to using only 768 mb of RAM and 40000 will impose a 1 gb
    limit.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --