memeory error

Help please

I have dual OS system and one of the OS's is win95(b). I just upgraded
my system with 1 gig on Memory, and now I get a "Not enough memory"
error. I know that there are some Hexidecmal codes for the Config SYS
to con trol how much mem the OS will use. Does anyone know the codes or
know where I can find them.

Privateer

I doubt that the problem you are having requires adding hexidecimal
codes to the EMM386 line. These codes used to be used to tell Windows
about peculiarities of the operating system resident in the top range
of RAM just below 1MB. However, you say your system was working fine
before you added RAM and there is no reason why adding RAM would have
altered the usage of this area.

It is my conjecture that the problem you are having relates to space
used for indexing memory. The OS stores various addresses in
conventional memory and if it tries to store to many of these, it can
run out of space for them. But with Windows 95 and higher, these
indexes do not have to go into conventional memory; they can go into
upper memory.

Below is a MIcrosoft document that explains how to manage conventional
memory. However, before trying any of this, I suggest that you try
renaming both Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. For example, change the
names to Config.syz and Autoexec.baz. You can easily undo this
renaming if it doesn't help. I am guessing that maybe Windows can
solve the problem on its own.

PSS ID Number: 134399
Article last modified on 04-21-1998

WINDOWS
kbenv kbhowto

- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release versions 2, 2.1

SUMMARY
=======

This article describes how to increase the amount of conventional
memory available for MS-DOS-based programs in Windows 95. The
following topics are discussed:

- Determining current memory conditions
- Making more conventional memory available

MORE INFORMATION
================

MS-DOS-based programs require a certain amount of conventional memory
to run, even when you run them in Windows 95. If you attempt to run an
MS-DOS-based program that requires more conventional memory than is
currently available on your computer, the program may not run
correctly or at all, and an error message indicating that there is
insufficient memory to run the program may be displayed. When this
occurs, you must reconfigure your computer so that more conventional
memory is available.

Determining Current Memory Conditions
-------------------------------------

To determine how much conventional memory is currently available for
MS-DOS-based programs, type the following command at a command prompt,
press ENTER, and then view the value on the Largest Executable Program
Size line:

mem /c

If the value on the Largest Executable Program Size line is smaller
than the amount of conventional memory required by the MS-DOS-based
program you are trying to run, the program may not run correctly or at
all until you reconfigure your computer. To determine how much
conventional memory a particular MS-DOS-based program requires,
consult the documentation included with the program, or contact the
program's manufacturer.

Making More Conventional Memory Available

Device drivers and memory-resident programs that load from the
Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files can reduce the amount of
conventional memory available for MS-DOS-based programs. Increasing
the amount of conventional memory that is available for MS-DOS-based
programs typically involves removing unnecessary drivers and programs
from the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files, replacing real-mode drivers
in the Config.sys file with protected-mode versions, or loading
drivers and programs into upper memory instead of conventional memory.

Removing Unnecessary Drivers and Programs:

To determine if a particular driver or memory-resident program in the
Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file is required for your computer to
function properly, consult the documentation included with the program
or device that installed the driver or memory-resident program, or
contact the program or device's manufacturer.

If you are not sure which program or device installed a particular
driver or memory-resident program, you can attempt to determine if the
driver or program is necessary by temporarily disabling the
corresponding line in the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. If your
computer, the devices installed on your computer, and the programs you
run on your computer all seem to function properly after you disable a
line, the driver or memory-resident program may not be necessary.

NOTE: Before you modify the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files, you
should make backup copies of the files. Do not remove any hard disk
drivers, disk partitioning drivers, or disk compression drivers while
you are attempting to determine if the drivers and programs in your
Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files are necessary. For information about
specific drivers that should not be removed, please see chapter 35 of
the Microsoft Windows 95 Resource Kit.

Replacing Real-Mode Drivers with Protected-Mode Versions:

Windows 95 includes protected-mode drivers for many devices. In
addition, many hardware manufacturers provide protected-mode drivers
for their devices. To attempt to install a Windows 95 protected-mode
driver for a device installed on your computer, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.

2. Click Next, verify that Yes (Recommended) is selected, click Next,
and then click Next again.

If the Add New Hardware Wizard does not detect the device and install
a protected-mode driver for it, you can attempt to install a Windows
95 protected-mode driver for the device manually. To do so, follow
these steps:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.

2. Click Next, click No, and then click Next.

3. Click the type of device for which you are attempting to install a
protected-mode driver in the Hardware Types box, and then click Next.

4. Click the manufacturer of the device in the Manufacturers box. If
the specific device appears in the Models box, click the device, and
then click OK to install the protected-mode driver. If the
manufacturer of the device does not appear in the Manufacturers box,
or the specific device does not appear in the Models box, Windows 95
does not include a protected-mode driver for the device.

To determine if the hardware's manufacturer provides a protected-mode
driver for the device, contact the device's manufacturer.

To attempt to load one or more drivers or memory resident programs
from the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files into upper memory, make sure
that the Config.sys file contains lines similar to the following lines
(in the following order):

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
dos=high,umb
devicehigh=c:\windows\command\drvspace.sys /move

Then, try loading device drivers in the Config.sys file using the
DEVICEHIGH command instead of the DEVICE command. In addition, try
LOADHIGH command.

NOTE: If your computer is configured so that expanded memory is
available and you are loading the Mscdex.exe file from the
Autoexec.bat file, you can attempt to load part of the Mscdex.exe file
into expanded memory using the /E switch on the Mscdex.exe command
line.

REFERENCES
==========

For additional information about increasing the amount of conventional
memory that is available for MS-DOS-based programs in Windows 95,
please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: 37242
TITLE : A General Tutorial on the Various Forms of Memory

ARTICLE-ID: 77083
TITLE : Optimizing Your Use of Upper Memory Blocks

ARTICLE-ID: 87165
TITLE : Command-Line Switches for MSCDEX.EXE

KBCategory: kbenv kbhowto
KBSubcategory: win95 osr2 winmem
Additional reference words: 95
Version : 95
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type : kbhowto
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

"Nick BAlducci" wrote

> I have dual OS system and one of the OS's is win95(b). I just upgraded
> my system with 1 gig on Memory, and now I get a "Not enough memory"
> error. I know that there are some Hexidecmal codes for the Config SYS
> to con trol how much mem the OS will use. Does anyone know the codes or
> know where I can find them.

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q253912/

In a nutshell:

Open System.ini with Notepad.
Go to the [VCache] section.
Change (or add) the line MaxFileCache=524288

#1: With all of the Windows 9x family you need to limit the amount of
RAM that they can allocate to disk cache. Otherwise an excessively
large disk cache will result in false "Out of memory" errors such as
you are experiencing. With Windows 98, 98SE and Windows Me a fairly
large disk cache, up to about 512 mb, can be beneficial because of the
way memory management works in these versions. However with Windows
95 the memory management is not that great in this aspect, and it has
an annoying tendency never to reduce the disk cache size even when
there are much better uses for this RAM. So with Windows 95 and 1 gb
of RAM I would suggest that you limit the disk cache to not more than
128 mb by adding the following line just below the existing [vcache]
section header in the system.ini file:

MaxFileCache=131072

#2: If you are still experiencing problems then it may also be
necessary to limit the total amount of RAM that Windows can access to
a smaller amount. Normally this type of problem does not occur until
you go beyond 1 gb, and some system are okay with as much as 1.5 gb
before they need to limit Windows in this way.

To limit Windows 95 to using not more than 512 mb of total RAM add the
following line to the existig [386enh] section of the system.ini file:

MaxPhysPage=20000

While you may not need this entry at the moment it is possible that
you will need it in future if you increase the total RAM in the
computer again. Also a MaxPhysPage value of 30000 will restrict
Windows to using only 768 mb of RAM and 40000 will impose a 1 gb
limit.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--