style69

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I have my amd 64 3200+ venice at 2.42.....

I know it kicks ass but was just wondering what it is equal to a pentium..... 3.2, 3.4 ???

And a@2.42 Ghz does this theoretically make my AMD 64 a 3700+? or lower

RichPLS

Champion
242x10 actually makes it a little faster than a 3700+, like maybe a 3750+
Equivalent I would say at 2400MHz could be around P4-3200 maybe a 3300, give or take 100MHz

endyen

Splendid
Sorry Rich(boy). Wrong on bothe counts. The vinice 3800 is a 2.4ghz part.
In gaming, the 3800 eats almost all Intel offerings, and will win almost all other benches against a 3.4 intel chip. On average, it's better than an intel @ 3.6

RichPLS

Champion
chart_sandra_cpu1.png

chart_sandra_cpu2.png

chart_pcmark_cpu.png

chart_pcmark_mem.png

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Synthetics suck. e.g. SysoftSandra 05. Most of their comparative CPU benchmarks in particular that I have seen are inaccurate, and most people just believe it anyway. Everything is biased somewhere along the line anyway.

On another note, you cannot compare the CPUs of two different systems and say one is better - let alone different brands of CPU! It is not a fair test. I don't know why people bother...

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Prescotts are great on paper and perform great in synthetic benches but in the real world that 30 odd stage pipeling is killer.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah I tend to agree there. I have 4 machines, two intels and two AMD's. The two machines I use primarily for gaming, one has an intel 630 and the other an AMD X2 3800. They both use geforce 7800GT graphics and no matter what game I play online or not, they look and play exactly the same. I see no difference at all. Numbers and benchmarks mean absolutely nothing to me at all. Its the real world testing that defines how a machine does for me. Yes, the AMD does do better in some things than the intel but the intel does shine in other areas. I like to go against the grain and build different types of machines and see how they do in real world situations. The naked eye is the only thing that really shows what a machine is made of. Just my opinion.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
OK. PCs are made in order to do certain tasks of special interest for the user. If CPU brand X performs better in those but sucks in most of the rest compared to CPU brand Y, should one be compelled to buy CPU brand Y just because it "kicks ass"? And stop talking about OCing as an advantage. OCing voids your warranty and shortens the life of any component(that's been OC'd). That's why any company would encourage you to OC. The period for the next buy will be shorter.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
The damage and loss of lifespan is actually so minute that it's not worth worrying about. As someone said for the millionth time, a chip that was built to last for 10 years may be cut down to half or less of the life expectancy of that, but the fact of the matter is, will you really be using the same hardware in 3-4 years?

And the only reason motherboard and graphx manufacturers encourage overclocking because it's a big business. They make a motherboard that is really good for overclocking and suddenly they have the attention of millions of gamers and PC enthusiasts around the world.