Reading CDRoms - "The device is not ready"

I’ve got a Windows XP laptop (New), and a Windows 95 desktop (Very
old)
and I want to bring some basic Word documents over from the laptop to
the desktop using a CDRom (Please don’t recommend a Floppy A)

So I burnt these Word documents onto a CD using the laptop - no
problem so far, then I tried to read the CD using the Windows 95
desktop computer and it says "D: Not accessable - The device is not
ready"

And yes, I clicked "Retry" many times with no success.
The disc is clean with no scratches, and the disc is readable on the
laptop, so that cancels out that, does anyone know what could be the
problem?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Reading-CDRoms-quot-device-ready-quot-ftopict397599.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1311663
4 answers Last reply
More about reading cdroms device ready

    The CD drive on the desktop may be too old, and therefore not
    "multi-read"....meaning it cannot read homemade "burnt" discs. It could also be
    that the drive is dirty and needs to be cleaned using an inexpensive audio CD drive
    cleaning disc. The drive may also be defective.

    Can you read *any* CD at all on the desktop drive? Try reading a factory made CD,
    or playing an audio CD. Do they work?

    BTW, I noticed that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that
    they are simply sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are
    unnecessarily using a middleman?

    Visit us using a newsreader at:

    How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
    forums:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Matt22" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Iâ?Tve got a Windows XP laptop (New), and a Windows 95 desktop (Very
    > old)
    > and I want to bring some basic Word documents over from the laptop to
    > the desktop using a CDRom (Please donâ?Tt recommend a Floppy A)
    >
    > So I burnt these Word documents onto a CD using the laptop - no
    > problem so far, then I tried to read the CD using the Windows 95
    > desktop computer and it says "D: Not accessable - The device is not
    > ready"
    >
    > And yes, I clicked "Retry" many times with no success.
    > The disc is clean with no scratches, and the disc is readable on the
    > laptop, so that cancels out that, does anyone know what could be the
    > problem?

    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Reading-CDRoms-quot-device-ready-quot-ftopict397599.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1311663

    What procedure did you use to create the CD? For maximum compatibility you
    should be creating a single session, closed ISO 9660 standard CD-ROM. This
    means you must use CD writing software - if you are set up to drag and drop
    files and folders onto your CD drive in order to save them to CD, that's the
    wrong sort of recording for the other machine to understand.

    Even with a closed single session ISO 9660 CD you might still have
    compatibility problems. Have you confirmed that drive can read other
    recordable CDs?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Matt22" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Iâ?Tve got a Windows XP laptop (New), and a Windows 95 desktop (Very
    > old)
    > and I want to bring some basic Word documents over from the laptop to
    > the desktop using a CDRom (Please donâ?Tt recommend a Floppy A)
    >
    > So I burnt these Word documents onto a CD using the laptop - no
    > problem so far, then I tried to read the CD using the Windows 95
    > desktop computer and it says "D: Not accessable - The device is not
    > ready"
    >
    > And yes, I clicked "Retry" many times with no success.
    > The disc is clean with no scratches, and the disc is readable on the
    > laptop, so that cancels out that, does anyone know what could be the
    > problem?

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Reading-CDRoms-quot-device-ready-quot-ftopict397599.html
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Jeff Richards" wrote:
    >What procedure did you use to create the CD? For maximum
    >compatibility you
    >should be creating a single session, closed ISO 9660 standard CD-ROM.

    >This
    >means you must use CD writing software - if you are set up to drag
    and
    >drop
    >files and folders onto your CD drive in order to save them to CD,
    >that’s the
    >wrong sort of recording for the other machine to understand.
    >
    >Even with a closed single session ISO 9660 CD you might still have
    >compatibility problems. Have you confirmed that drive can read other
    >recordable CDs?

    Yes I did drag-and-drop the files, so you are saying if I use
    something like Nero to burn the Word documents on then the other Win
    95 machine will be able to read it?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Matt22" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "Jeff Richards" wrote:
    > >What procedure did you use to create the CD? For maximum
    > >compatibility you
    > >should be creating a single session, closed ISO 9660 standard CD-ROM.
    >
    > >This
    > >means you must use CD writing software - if you are set up to drag
    > and
    > >drop
    > >files and folders onto your CD drive in order to save them to CD,
    > >thatâ?Ts the
    > >wrong sort of recording for the other machine to understand.
    > >
    > >Even with a closed single session ISO 9660 CD you might still have
    > >compatibility problems. Have you confirmed that drive can read other
    > >recordable CDs?
    >
    > Yes I did drag-and-drop the files, so you are saying if I use
    > something like Nero to burn the Word documents on then the other Win
    > 95 machine will be able to read it?

    Yes, *IF* the CD drive in the old computer is capable of reading recordable discs at
    all....as I mentioned earlier, some older drives will not be able to read anything
    but factory discs.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm