ie 5.5, spreadSheet for win95B

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 28, 2005 5:04:09 PM

hello,
1.
a) i know there was a post re: installing i.e. 5.5 which i no longer can
find in this newsGroup...
could anyone post a link to i.e. 5.5?

b) if i have to download it (i.e. 5.5) in its entirety, can i do so on 1
pc and use the same dLoad on 2 others?

c) also before installing it on one (antique) win95b pc, how can i save
the registry in case someThing goes wrong?

2. is there a light version of excel (or any suggestions for win95b for
a spreadSheet)
(1 pc of mine is o.l.d. and i doubt it could handle msWord)
(i need a spreadSheet program -- not just a viewer since i need to
create spreadSheets)

many thanks in advance!

More about : spreadsheet win95b

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:04:10 PM

http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP...

> b) if i have to download it (i.e. 5.5) in its entirety, can i do so on 1
> pc and use the same dLoad on 2 others?

Yes you can.

> c) also before installing it on one (antique) win95b pc, how can i save
> the registry in case someThing goes wrong?

Run Regedit, click Registry on the Menu Bar,
and select "Export Registry File".

> 2. is there a light version of excel (or any suggestions for win95b for
> a spreadSheet)
> (1 pc of mine is o.l.d. and i doubt it could handle msWord)
> (i need a spreadSheet program -- not just a viewer since i need to
> create spreadSheets)

Microsoft Works, perhaps? Check the Works Newsgroup
for advice on the best version to use with Windows 95.

> many thanks in advance!

July 28, 2005 6:57:30 PM

hi Hugh
thank you...
[...below...]

Hugh Candlin wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hello,
> > 1.
> > a) i know there was a post re: installing i.e. 5.5 which i no longer can
> > find in this newsGroup...
> > could anyone post a link to i.e. 5.5?
>
> http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP...

i guess i should be asking this in *A* ie5 ng but if you have a chance:
i found the following on 1 of my disks (i had tried to downLoad ie 5.5 years
ago)
but it is not 80+ mbs...
it has:
windows update setup files which is 29.9 mbs (and contains 50 files) and a
file by the name of:
ie5setup.exe (which is only 498 kbs) but the product version is
5.50.4522.1800...
(i downloaded this in 2001:)
there were some problems with it and at that time i downGraded it to ie5.0..
can this be used as an upGrade to:
ie5.0
and
ie4.72
?
and i guess there will be patches to downLoad.
?

> > b) if i have to download it (i.e. 5.5) in its entirety, can i do so on 1
> > pc and use the same dLoad on 2 others?
>
> Yes you can.

i guess i'll await the answer to the above question.

> >> c) also before installing it on one (antique) win95b pc, how can i save
> > the registry in case someThing goes wrong?
>
> Run Regedit, click Registry on the Menu Bar,
> and select "Export Registry File".

thanks!

> > 2. is there a light version of excel (or any suggestions for win95b for
> > a spreadSheet)
> > (1 pc of mine is o.l.d. and i doubt it could handle msWord)
> > (i need a spreadSheet program -- not just a viewer since i need to
> > create spreadSheets)
>
> Microsoft Works, perhaps? Check the Works Newsgroup
> for advice on the best version to use with Windows 95.

i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that one
(i'll try this after backing up the windows 95b registry)
(i'll find a works ng too)
THANKS!
sincerely
Tanya

> > many thanks in advance!

July 28, 2005 6:57:31 PM

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hi Hugh
> thank you...
> [...below...]
>
> Hugh Candlin wrote:
>
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > hello,
> > > 1.
> > > a) i know there was a post re: installing i.e. 5.5 which i no longer
can
> > > find in this newsGroup...
> > > could anyone post a link to i.e. 5.5?
> >
> > http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP...
>
> i guess i should be asking this in *A* ie5 ng but if you have a chance:
> i found the following on 1 of my disks (i had tried to downLoad ie 5.5
years
> ago)
> but it is not 80+ mbs...
> it has:
> windows update setup files which is 29.9 mbs (and contains 50 files) and a
> file by the name of:
> ie5setup.exe (which is only 498 kbs) but the product version is
> 5.50.4522.1800...
> (i downloaded this in 2001:)
> there were some problems with it and at that time i downGraded it to
ie5.0..
> can this be used as an upGrade to:
> ie5.0
> and
> ie4.72
> ?

Yoy'd be better off asking in the IE group.

I'd just be guessing. I used to have those files handy,
but they are on one of my other machines,
and I don't want to make you wait
while I hunt for them.

The small setup file is just a download trigger file.
It does nothing but initiate the download from the web site.

> and i guess there will be patches to downLoad.
> ?

You betcha.......

> > > b) if i have to download it (i.e. 5.5) in its entirety, can i do so on
1
> > > pc and use the same dLoad on 2 others?
> >
> > Yes you can.
>
> i guess i'll await the answer to the above question.

Frankly, better safe than sorry. If it was my decision,
I would download again, just to be sure.

> > > the registry in case someThing goes wrong?
> >
> > Run Regedit, click Registry on the Menu Bar,
> > and select "Export Registry File".
>
> thanks!
>
> > > 2. is there a light version of excel (or any suggestions for win95b
for
> > > a spreadSheet)
> > > (1 pc of mine is o.l.d. and i doubt it could handle msWord)
> > > (i need a spreadSheet program -- not just a viewer since i need to
> > > create spreadSheets)
> >
> > Microsoft Works, perhaps? Check the Works Newsgroup
> > for advice on the best version to use with Windows 95.
>
> i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that
one

That'll work just fine. I have at least 3 copies of Office97.
I can assure you that it works just fine with Windows 95,
although the degree of fineness is of course relative
to the amount of RAM and, to a lesser extent,
the capacity of the CPU.

I was jogging along just hunky-dory with 64MB
of a P5-133Mhz when I ran Windows 95
back when Michelangelo was still into Crayolas.

> (i'll try this after backing up the windows 95b registry)
> (i'll find a works ng too)

As you already have Office 97, I would go with that.

> THANKS!
> sincerely
> Tanya
>

> > > many thanks in advance!

July 29, 2005 1:31:42 PM

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that
> one
> (i'll try this after backing up the windows 95b registry)
> (i'll find a works ng too)
> THANKS!
> sincerely
> Tanya

My PII-266 came with Office 97 and (still) runs fine with it.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:26:03 AM

replies inline....

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> i found the following on 1 of my disks (i had tried to downLoad ie 5.5 years
> ago)
> but it is not 80+ mbs...
> it has:
> windows update setup files which is 29.9 mbs (and contains 50 files) and a
> file by the name of:
> ie5setup.exe (which is only 498 kbs) but the product version is
> 5.50.4522.1800...

If it is from WU Setup Files, the 29.9MB file set *might* work, but would likely be
dreadfully old. The ie5setup.exe (498 kb) is only a setup stub....if the other
files are in fact the IE5 setup files, it should install IE5, but no guarantee.
Also, it depends on whether you completed the download and install via WU at that
time, when you originally got the files.

Were it me, I would do the full download from the link Hugh provided, and then run
the install from that.
It is imperative that you close all open programs and disable ther virus scanner and
power management settings when you start the installation. This is the procedure
you should follow:

Reboot.
Open the Temp folder and delete all Temp files:
-Click Start>Run, type %temp% and click OK.
-Press Ctrl+A to select all, then press Delete.

Delete the Temporary Internet Files:
Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab.
Click the Delete Files button, then put a checkmark in the box to Delete all
offline content, and click OK, and OK.

Close all open windows and running apps.
Disable your anti-virus, screensaver, and power management features.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and End Task on everything except Explorer and Systray.
Start the installation.

> > > b) if i have to download it (i.e. 5.5) in its entirety, can i do so on 1
> > > pc and use the same dLoad on 2 others?

Yes. How are the computers connected, so that you can access the installer from all
of them? Are they networked? You can also download it and then burn it to a CD-R
for use on the other computers.

> > > the registry in case someThing goes wrong?
> > Hugh Candlin wrote:
> > Run Regedit, click Registry on the Menu Bar,
> > and select "Export Registry File".

Actually, exporting the registry from Regedit is *not* the way to back-up the
Registry. You need to save a copy of the files System.dat and User.dat, located in
the Windows folder, to another folder on the hard drive (example: C:\Regback). Note
that this will only save the Registry....any files that are added or replaced by the
installation will remain. If you have disk imaging software to make a disk image
prior to the IE installation, that would be the best option....such programs include
Norton Ghost, and terabyteunlimited's Image for Windows.

> > > 2. is there a light version of excel (or any suggestions for win95b for
> > > a spreadSheet)
> > > (1 pc of mine is o.l.d. and i doubt it could handle msWord)
> > > (i need a spreadSheet program -- not just a viewer since i need to
> > > create spreadSheets)
> > Hugh Candlin wrote:
> > Microsoft Works, perhaps? Check the Works Newsgroup
> > for advice on the best version to use with Windows 95.

Works 4.5a is probably the best version all around, and worked fine when I had it
installed on Win95B.

> i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that one

Assuming you have a valid key to enter at setup, Office97 is the best version for
Win95
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

hi Glen,
thank you for answering and for all of the information!
[...below...]

glee wrote:

> replies inline....
>
> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>
> > i found the following on 1 of my disks (i had tried to downLoad ie 5.5 years
> > ago)
> > but it is not 80+ mbs...
> > it has:
> > windows update setup files which is 29.9 mbs (and contains 50 files) and a
> > file by the name of:
> > ie5setup.exe (which is only 498 kbs) but the product version is
> > 5.50.4522.1800...
>
> If it is from WU Setup Files, the 29.9MB file set *might* work, but would likely be
> dreadfully old. The ie5setup.exe (498 kb) is only a setup stub....if the other
> files are in fact the IE5 setup files, it should install IE5, but no guarantee.
> Also, it depends on whether you completed the download and install via WU at that
> time, when you originally got the files.
>
> Were it me, I would do the full download from the link Hugh provided, and then run
> the install from that.
> It is imperative that you close all open programs and disable ther virus scanner and
> power management settings when you start the installation. This is the procedure
> you should follow:
>
> Reboot.
> Open the Temp folder and delete all Temp files:
> -Click Start>Run, type %temp% and click OK.
> -Press Ctrl+A to select all, then press Delete.
>
> Delete the Temporary Internet Files:
> Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab.
> Click the Delete Files button, then put a checkmark in the box to Delete all
> offline content, and click OK, and OK.
>
> Close all open windows and running apps.
> Disable your anti-virus, screensaver, and power management features.
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and End Task on everything except Explorer and Systray.
> Start the installation.

i'm actually going to downLoad ie6 (via windows update on the 98se pc) i just need
anything > ie5.5 for one Web site for some work.
(i'll follow the above instructions though)

> Yes. How are the computers connected, so that you can access the installer from all
> of them? Are they networked? You can also download it and then burn it to a CD-R
> for use on the other computers.

i'm still in the mid-1990's :)
they are not netWorked nor do i have a cd-burner -- i have zip drives (100 mbs) i assume
that if i were to dLoad ie5.5 i could dLoad onto a zip disk and share? (but for now i'll
just use ie6 on the 98se...)
thanks.

> > > Hugh Candlin wrote:
> > > Run Regedit, click Registry on the Menu Bar,
> > > and select "Export Registry File".
>
> Actually, exporting the registry from Regedit is *not* the way to back-up the
> Registry. You need to save a copy of the files System.dat and User.dat, located in
> the Windows folder, to another folder on the hard drive (example: C:\Regback). Note
> that this will only save the Registry....any files that are added or replaced by the
> installation will remain. If you have disk imaging software to make a disk image
> prior to the IE installation, that would be the best option....such programs include
> Norton Ghost, and terabyteunlimited's Image for Windows.

i don't have drive imaging s/w.
i've now decided for the windows 95b pc(?S) that i will instal office97.
so i need a copy of the registry for 95b pc(S) prior to doing so but are user.dat and
system.dat enough just for office97? (not for ie6)
can't i copy the entire registry to a new folder?

> > > Hugh Candlin wrote:
> > > Microsoft Works, perhaps? Check the Works Newsgroup
> > > for advice on the best version to use with Windows 95.
>
> Works 4.5a is probably the best version all around, and worked fine when I had it
> installed on Win95B.

ok but where do i get it?

> > i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that one
>
> Assuming you have a valid key to enter at setup, Office97 is the best version for
> Win95

i do however, what are the legalities? i do have the pc it came with -- i also have
another pc with 95b on it and i would lie to use it on both....
since it is no longer supported (except here and i GREATLY appreciate this!!!) is it
legal to instal it on 2 nonNetworked pcs (which cannot be used at the same time -- 1 is
upstairs; the other is downstairs.)

thank you!
sincerely
Tanya

> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
July 30, 2005 6:57:20 PM

thank you....
[...below...]

Erehwon wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> >
> > i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that
> > one
> > (i'll try this after backing up the windows 95b registry)
> > (i'll find a works ng too)
> > THANKS!
> > sincerely
> > Tanya
>
> My PII-266 came with Office 97 and (still) runs fine with it.

i would ideally like to use it on a pmmx (@200mhz)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:16:39 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:57:20 -0400, Tanya
<tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>> My PII-266 came with Office 97 and (still) runs fine with it.
>
>i would ideally like to use it on a pmmx (@200mhz)

I use it on a P-150 with 48 Meg memory. Lotta memory swapping
sometimes, but no problems. I mostly use Excel as a database rather
than a spreadsheet... when I had to create two different sheets within
a workbook because of the 65k limit on the number of lines... no
problem.

Steve Baker
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:03:53 AM

inline, again.....

> glee wrote:
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> snips
> i'm actually going to downLoad ie6 (via windows update on the 98se pc) i just need
> anything > ie5.5 for one Web site for some work.

OK, I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but while IE6 SP1 will work with
Win98, you cannot install it on the Win95 machine. IE5.5 SP2 is the latest version
that will install on any version of Win95, so you still need the IE5.5 download, no?

> i'm still in the mid-1990's :)
> they are not netWorked nor do i have a cd-burner -- i have zip drives (100 mbs) i
assume
> that if i were to dLoad ie5.5 i could dLoad onto a zip disk and share? (but for
now i'll
> just use ie6 on the 98se...)

Yes.

> > Actually, exporting the registry from Regedit is *not* the way to back-up the
> > Registry. You need to save a copy of the files System.dat and User.dat, located
in
> > the Windows folder, to another folder on the hard drive (example: C:\Regback).
Note
> > that this will only save the Registry....any files that are added or replaced by
the
> > installation will remain. If you have disk imaging software to make a disk
image
> > prior to the IE installation, that would be the best option....such programs
include
> > Norton Ghost, and terabyteunlimited's Image for Windows.
>
> i don't have drive imaging s/w.
> i've now decided for the windows 95b pc(?S) that i will instal office97.
> so i need a copy of the registry for 95b pc(S) prior to doing so but are user.dat
and
> system.dat enough just for office97? (not for ie6)
> can't i copy the entire registry to a new folder?

System.dat and User.dat ARE the entire Registry, in both Win95 and Win98. I suggest
you use the WRP utility to back up the Registry and the win.ini and system.ini files
on the Win95 system. You can read more about it here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/registry.html
and here is the direct download link:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/assets/images/wrpv3.zip

On the Win98 system, you can back them up using Start> Run> scanregw

> > Works 4.5a is probably the best version all around, and worked fine when I had
it
> > installed on Win95B.
>
> ok but where do i get it?

Perhaps eBay? Google is your best friend. Here is the first one I spotted, not a
recommendation, just an example:
Microsoft Works 4.5:
http://www.retrosoftware.com/10781.html

> > > i found a cd-rom for office97 (just 1 cd) i assume that i could use that one
> >
> > Assuming you have a valid key to enter at setup, Office97 is the best version
for
> > Win95
>
> i do however, what are the legalities? i do have the pc it came with -- i also
have
> another pc with 95b on it and i would lie to use it on both....

Is that a typo or do you really mean that you would *lie* to use it on both? LOL

> since it is no longer supported (except here and i GREATLY appreciate this!!!) is
it
> legal to instal it on 2 nonNetworked pcs (which cannot be used at the same time --
1 is
> upstairs; the other is downstairs.)

Ah, well, first, I am not a lawyer, but...... technically, and following the logical
meaning of the Office license agreement, which as I recall states:
"You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, or any prior version for
the same operating system, on a single computer. The primary user of the computer on
which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her
exclusive use on a portable computer."

Now, according the the EULA Help file that came with the version of Word that is
included with Works 4.5a, and presumably also applying to Office 97:
"If your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions mentioned, you
may make a second copy of the software. Note that you must be the primary user of
the computer on which the software is installed. The primary user is the individual
using the computer most of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled
to use the second copy. Further, the software must be installed on the local hard
drive of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a second copy on your
portable computer if you run the primary copy of the software from a network server.
Finally, only one secondary copy may be made; you may install this copy on more than
one portable computer."

As noted here:
http://www.cheaperoffice.com/html/EULArevealed.asp
nowhere in the EULA is the term "portable" defined, and it is assumed to mean a
laptop or notebook computer. You could argue that since you can easily move your
second desktop around, that it is in fact "portable". I will trail off, and leave
you to decide what you want to make of that. ;-) Be aware also that the software
police are not likely to come to your house to check; also, even with later
versions of Office that require to be activated, in the same way as Windows XP, that
the activation software is not able to discern between a desktop and portable
computer......
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
July 31, 2005 1:46:25 AM

hi and thanks Glen,
[...below...]

glee wrote:

> inline, again.....
>
> "Tanya" <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > glee wrote:
> > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > snips
> > i'm actually going to downLoad ie6 (via windows update on the 98se pc) i just need
> > anything > ie5.5 for one Web site for some work.
>
> OK, I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but while IE6 SP1 will work with
> Win98, you cannot install it on the Win95 machine. IE5.5 SP2 is the latest version
> that will install on any version of Win95, so you still need the IE5.5 download, no?

sorry -- forget ie5.5 and my zip disk... i only need 1 pc to be semiUpTpDate (the 98se)
which i will download and instal ie 6 on (via windows update)
<snip>

> > that if i were to dLoad ie5.5 i could dLoad onto a zip disk and share? (but for
> now i'll
> > just use ie6 on the 98se...)
>
> Yes.
>
> > > Actually, exporting the registry from Regedit is *not* the way to back-up the
> > > Registry. You need to save a copy of the files System.dat and User.dat, located
> in
> > > the Windows folder, to another folder on the hard drive (example: C:\Regback).
> Note
> > > that this will only save the Registry....any files that are added or replaced by
> the
> > > installation will remain. If you have disk imaging software to make a disk
> image
> > > prior to the IE installation, that would be the best option....such programs
> include
> > > Norton Ghost, and terabyteunlimited's Image for Windows.
> >
> > i don't have drive imaging s/w.
> > i've now decided for the windows 95b pc(?S) that i will instal office97.
> > so i need a copy of the registry for 95b pc(S) prior to doing so but are user.dat
> and
> > system.dat enough just for office97? (not for ie6)
> > can't i copy the entire registry to a new folder?
>
> System.dat and User.dat ARE the entire Registry, in both Win95 and Win98. I suggest
> you use the WRP utility to back up the Registry and the win.ini and system.ini files
> on the Win95 system. You can read more about it here:
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/registry.html
> and here is the direct download link:
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/assets/images/wrpv3.zip

thanks -- is office 97 a real traumatic instal? (can i just copy user.dat, system.dat,
win.ini and system.ini to a folder on the desktop for the office97 instal?)
(i have not read the links yet but will after posting this -- perhaps this info is
written there)

(i have enabled all files on both pcs -- although user.dat and system.dat are checked
off as read only) sorry i just want to avoid downloading another program right now...
however on properties for each file, the copy command appears to be available

> On the Win98 system, you can back them up using Start> Run> scanregw
>
> > > Works 4.5a is probably the best version all around, and worked fine when I had
> it
> > > installed on Win95B.
> >
> > ok but where do i get it?
>
> Perhaps eBay? Google is your best friend. Here is the first one I spotted, not a
> recommendation, just an example:
> Microsoft Works 4.5:
> http://www.retrosoftware.com/10781.html

thanks -- sorry again -- since i have the office97 cd i'll use it and hold off on
msWorks for now

> > > Assuming you have a valid key to enter at setup, Office97 is the best version
> for
> > > Win95
> >
> > i do however, what are the legalities? i do have the pc it came with -- i also
> have
> > another pc with 95b on it and i would lie to use it on both....
>
> Is that a typo or do you really mean that you would *lie* to use it on both? LOL

that was definitely a freudian / FRAUDian / fraudulent typo :)
it was meant to state "... what are the legalities? i do have the pc it came with -- i
also
have
> another pc with 95b on it and i would liKe to use it on both...."
:)

> > since it is no longer supported (except here and i GREATLY appreciate this!!!) is
> it
> > legal to instal it on 2 nonNetworked pcs (which cannot be used at the same time --
> 1 is
> > upstairs; the other is downstairs.)
>
> Ah, well, first, I am not a lawyer, but...... technically, and following the logical
> meaning of the Office license agreement, which as I recall states:
> "You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, or any prior version for
> the same operating system, on a single computer. The primary user of the computer on
> which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her
> exclusive use on a portable computer."
>
> Now, according the the EULA Help file that came with the version of Word that is
> included with Works 4.5a, and presumably also applying to Office 97:
> "If your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions mentioned, you
> may make a second copy of the software. Note that you must be the primary user of
> the computer on which the software is installed. The primary user is the individual
> using the computer most of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled
> to use the second copy. Further, the software must be installed on the local hard
> drive of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a second copy on your
> portable computer if you run the primary copy of the software from a network server.
> Finally, only one secondary copy may be made; you may install this copy on more than
> one portable computer."

it says on the cd-rom that one cannot make copies (any) of it.
this is oem so it does state that it can only be installed and used on A single COMPUTER
so i will let my conscience decide
:)

> As noted here:
> http://www.cheaperoffice.com/html/EULArevealed.asp
> nowhere in the EULA is the term "portable" defined, and it is assumed to mean a
> laptop or notebook computer. You could argue that since you can easily move your
> second desktop around, that it is in fact "portable". I will trail off, and leave
> you to decide what you want to make of that. ;-) Be aware also that the software
> police are not likely to come to your house to check; also, even with later
> versions of Office that require to be activated, in the same way as Windows XP, that
> the activation software is not able to discern between a desktop and portable
> computer......

there is nothing about anything being portable...
--

> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

thanks again, Glen!
sincerely
Tanya
(the main thing is whether the office97 installation procedure might destroy THE pc i
will try to instal it on (iow whether i need to download anything to copy the registry
and the aforementioned *.ini files))
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 2:39:27 AM

The procedure I gave you earlier for shutting down all background apps, emptying the
Temp folders, disabling the screensaver, and so forth, should be used when
installing Office, as well as when installing IE or any large application or suite.

Backing up the registry and .ini files should be enough. WRP is not a program, it
is a set of DOS batch files to make it easier to copy the files from within Windows,
and if needed, to restore the files from a DOS boot. DOS commands must be used to
change the file attributes and copy the files in case a restore is needed. No
actual program is installed. Here is part of the "readme1st" file:

"To Install WRP Ver 3.0:
Unzip WRPV3.zip IMPORTANT: extract to C:\WRPALL3

Press F5 (Refresh)

To install WRP Ver 3.0: Open C:\WRPALL3 and double click InstallV3.bat

That's all there is to it. The program is now installed.

Restart Windows 95

You now have WRP/Backup and Uninstal.bat on your Start Menu, and also
Backup at Start Menu / Programs. It has also been put in your Startup, and
will appear each time you start up windows. If you don't want to back up
the registry and important files at that time . . . click eXit in top
right corner of DOS window on your Desktop. If you want to perform a
backup, click once in the window (turns it on), then press Enter or any
key. All your registry & important files will be copied to C:\WPR.

If you don't want this window at start up, go to
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs \Startup, and delete "Backup."

Then to Backup: Click Start\WRP\Backup

You can always perform a backup before making any changes to registry
by clicking on Start / WRP / Backup

To Restore: Start your computer, as windows begins starting, press F8,
when menu appears, type "6" (no quotes) press enter for Command Prompt
only C:\

At prompt, type CD \WRP press enter
When C:\WRP> appears type "Restore" (no quotes) press enter

Follow on screen instructions . . . . .

The files we backed up are: C:\Windows\ user.dat, system.dat,
system.ini, win.ini, protocol.ini C:\msdos.sys, C:\Autoexec.bat, C:\Config.sys."
--

> [...]
software
> > police are not likely to come to your house to check; also, even with later
> > versions of Office that require to be activated, in the same way as Windows XP,
that
> > the activation software is not able to discern between a desktop and portable
> > computer......
>
> there is nothing about anything being portable...
> --
>
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> thanks again, Glen!
> sincerely
> Tanya
> (the main thing is whether the office97 installation procedure might destroy THE
pc i
> will try to instal it on (iow whether i need to download anything to copy the

July 31, 2005 6:39:29 PM

thank you Glen,
with the registry backup software, i did not have a folder called wrpall3... so i
created one (wrpall3) and just want to make sure that it would restore with the instal
files in it:
wrp has 16 files while wrpall3 has 8 files.
office installed fine though (thanks for the instructions for disabling everything!)
sincerely
Tanya

glee wrote:

> The procedure I gave you earlier for shutting down all background apps, emptying the
> Temp folders, disabling the screensaver, and so forth, should be used when
> installing Office, as well as when installing IE or any large application or suite.
>
> Backing up the registry and .ini files should be enough. WRP is not a program, it
> is a set of DOS batch files to make it easier to copy the files from within Windows,
> and if needed, to restore the files from a DOS boot. DOS commands must be used to
> change the file attributes and copy the files in case a restore is needed. No
> actual program is installed. Here is part of the "readme1st" file:
>
> "To Install WRP Ver 3.0:
> Unzip WRPV3.zip IMPORTANT: extract to C:\WRPALL3
>
> Press F5 (Refresh)
>
> To install WRP Ver 3.0: Open C:\WRPALL3 and double click InstallV3.bat
>
> That's all there is to it. The program is now installed.
>
> Restart Windows 95
>
> You now have WRP/Backup and Uninstal.bat on your Start Menu, and also
> Backup at Start Menu / Programs. It has also been put in your Startup, and
> will appear each time you start up windows. If you don't want to back up
> the registry and important files at that time . . . click eXit in top
> right corner of DOS window on your Desktop. If you want to perform a
> backup, click once in the window (turns it on), then press Enter or any
> key. All your registry & important files will be copied to C:\WPR.
>
> If you don't want this window at start up, go to
> C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs \Startup, and delete "Backup."
>
> Then to Backup: Click Start\WRP\Backup
>
> You can always perform a backup before making any changes to registry
> by clicking on Start / WRP / Backup
>
> To Restore: Start your computer, as windows begins starting, press F8,
> when menu appears, type "6" (no quotes) press enter for Command Prompt
> only C:\
>
> At prompt, type CD \WRP press enter
> When C:\WRP> appears type "Restore" (no quotes) press enter
>
> Follow on screen instructions . . . . .
>
> The files we backed up are: C:\Windows\ user.dat, system.dat,
> system.ini, win.ini, protocol.ini C:\msdos.sys, C:\Autoexec.bat, C:\Config.sys."
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<snipped>
August 1, 2005 1:05:52 AM

Steve Baker wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:57:20 -0400, Tanya
> <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >> My PII-266 came with Office 97 and (still) runs fine with it.
> >
> >i would ideally like to use it on a pmmx (@200mhz)
>
> I use it on a P-150 with 48 Meg memory. Lotta memory swapping
> sometimes, but no problems. I mostly use Excel as a database rather
> than a spreadsheet... when I had to create two different sheets within
> a workbook because of the 65k limit on the number of lines... no
> problem.
>
> Steve Baker

thank you for the information!
sincerely
Tanya
August 1, 2005 1:07:09 AM

hi Glen,
it is working well (pls disregard the question below) -- so thank you VERY much for the
help!
sincerely
Tanya

!