Upgrading Windows 95a to b or c

I have a REALLY old Compaq laptop that is running Windows 95a. I need to be
running Windows 95b or higher for my anti-virus software to load. I know the
best answer is to upgrade to 98SE or higher, but I'm still supporting a
couple of Windows 95 machines.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows

    Well you can try to get it at ebay. Win95B or C was never sold retail only
    OEM.

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    >I have a REALLY old Compaq laptop that is running Windows 95a. I need to
    >be
    > running Windows 95b or higher for my anti-virus software to load. I know
    > the
    > best answer is to upgrade to 98SE or higher, but I'm still supporting a
    > couple of Windows 95 machines.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Thanks, Jon. I'll try that.

    "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:

    > Well you can try to get it at ebay. Win95B or C was never sold retail only
    > OEM.
    >
    > --
    > Jon Hildrum
    > DTS MVP
    > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > www.hildrum.com
    > "Mike Reemsnyder" <MikeReemsnyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:3C78149C-2331-410D-949C-5CE1CE8F9559@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a REALLY old Compaq laptop that is running Windows 95a. I need to
    > >be
    > > running Windows 95b or higher for my anti-virus software to load. I know
    > > the
    > > best answer is to upgrade to 98SE or higher, but I'm still supporting a
    > > couple of Windows 95 machines.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Remember the OEM version will not let you upgrade a win95 or win95A version.
    It was designed for a clean install. However it can be fooled to upgrade an
    existing win95 or win95A installation

    Here is a link with three different methods. They are listed in order of
    ease to perform. However, I used to prefer Tom Porterfield's contribution
    which is method 2.
    http://www.thenakedpc.com/tugpcs/extras/osr2.faq.html#upgrade

    --
    message news:FF434B67-505A-4191-8391-04F8A0D8C764@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks, Jon. I'll try that.
    >
    > "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:
    >
    >> Well you can try to get it at ebay. Win95B or C was never sold retail
    >> only
    >> OEM.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jon Hildrum
    >> DTS MVP
    >> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    >> www.hildrum.com
    >> "Mike Reemsnyder" <MikeReemsnyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:3C78149C-2331-410D-949C-5CE1CE8F9559@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have a REALLY old Compaq laptop that is running Windows 95a. I need
    >> >be
    >> > running Windows 95b or higher for my anti-virus software to load. I
    >> > know
    >> > the
    >> > best answer is to upgrade to 98SE or higher, but I'm still supporting a
    >> > couple of Windows 95 machines.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance

Windows