Internet Explorer to Firefox.

Hi,

I have a Windows 95 SE partition in which I have IE 6 installed for
browsing local HTML files. I never use the Outlook Express from this
partition.

Am I likely to strike any problems if I install Firefox, make it my
dfault browser and then delete the IE?

--
Henry Bartlett
email: hambar at microtech dot com dot au

    "Henry B" <hambar@Spamlock.microtech.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Windows 95 SE partition in which I have IE 6 installed for
    > browsing local HTML files. I never use the Outlook Express from this
    > partition.

    I have two issues here:
    1. What is Windows 95 SE? (I have heard of Windows 98 SE).
    2. How'd you get IE 6 to install on _any_ version of 95?

    > Am I likely to strike any problems if I install Firefox, make it my
    > dfault browser and then delete the IE?

    Firefox says it requires at least Windows 98:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/system-requirements

    Uninstalling IE is problematic. The official MS position is that it is part
    of the OS and cannot be removed. Additionally the Windows update website
    only lets you update if you are using IE. (and you must have those security
    updates).

    I'm just guessing, but you probably actually have Windows 98 SE. To verify,
    try the following:
    click on start
    click on run
    delete whatever is in the box
    type in "winver" (without the quotes)
    click on OK
    Tell us what version of Windows you actually have.

    "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message

    > Firefox says it requires at least Windows 98:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/system-requirements

    True, but I and a number of others have it installed on Win95B or C (OSR2.x) with no
    problems. I would be sure to install Winsock2, and DCOM95, at the very least.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote

    > I would be sure to install Winsock2, and DCOM95, at the very least.

    Will I need them in order to use Firefox for viewing local HTML files
    only?

    Both appear to be installed now. Is uninstalling IE likely to
    uninstall them?

    If it will, and I will need them for offline use with Firefox, how
    would you suggest that I go about reinstalling them?

    --
    Henry Bartlett
    email: hambar at microtech dot com dot au
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Henry B" <hambar@Spamlock.microtech.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a Windows 95 SE partition in which I have IE 6
    > > installed for browsing local HTML files. <snip>

    > I have two issues here:
    > 1. What is Windows 95 SE? (I have heard of Windows 98 SE).
    > 2. How'd you get IE 6 to install on _any_ version of 95?

    My mistake :-(

    I was confused, I should have written "a Windows 95 partition in which
    I have IE 5.5

    I just installed IE from a magazine cover CD; no dramas.

    > Additionally the Windows update website only lets you update if
    > you are using IE. (and you must have those security updates).

    But the computer I am referring to is never connected to the internet.

    --
    Henry Bartlett
    email: hambar at microtech dot com dot au
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Henry B" <hambar@Spamlock.microtech.com.au> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a Windows 95 SE partition in which I have IE 6
    > > > installed for browsing local HTML files. <snip>
    >
    > > I have two issues here:
    > > 1. What is Windows 95 SE? (I have heard of Windows 98 SE).
    > > 2. How'd you get IE 6 to install on _any_ version of 95?
    >
    > My mistake :-(
    >
    > I was confused, I should have written "a Windows 95 partition in which
    > I have IE 5.5
    >
    > I just installed IE from a magazine cover CD; no dramas.
    >
    > > Additionally the Windows update website only lets you update if
    > > you are using IE. (and you must have those security updates).
    >
    > But the computer I am referring to is never connected to the internet.

    And, hopefully, not networked with any computers that are connected to the
    Internet...
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    How do you propose to "uninstall IE"? IE is integrated into the shell of Windows,
    and while there is an app called IEradicator, I do not suggest going that route.
    You are likely to end up with a lot of other problems, and not likely to find anyone
    willing to help you once you have gone that route.

    If you do not want to use IE and do not plan to go online, I do not see the point of
    trying to remove IE...just set Firefox as the default browser, assuming that it
    works on your copy of Win95. BTW, Winsock2 and DCOM are independent of IE, so they
    would not be affected by any of the scenarios mentioned.
    --

    > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote
    >
    > > I would be sure to install Winsock2, and DCOM95, at the very least.
    >
    > Will I need them in order to use Firefox for viewing local HTML files
    > only?
    >
    > Both appear to be installed now. Is uninstalling IE likely to
    > uninstall them?
    >
    > If it will, and I will need them for offline use with Firefox, how
    > would you suggest that I go about reinstalling them?
    >
    > --
    > Henry Bartlett
    > email: hambar at microtech dot com dot au

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > How do you propose to "uninstall IE"?

    Add/Remove programs, (it's in there).

    I installed it into a version of Widows that did not have IE. Why
    can't I install it?

    > IE is integrated into the shell of Windows and while there is an app
    > called IEradicator

    Windows 95?
    ..
    > You are likely to end up with a lot of other problems

    Basically that's what I am asking. What problems?

    Remember Windows *95* - not 98, ME or XP,

    --
    Henry Bartlett
    Delphi Links Page:

    > How do you propose to "uninstall IE"? IE is integrated into the
    shell of Windows,
    > and while there is an app called IEradicator, I do not suggest going
    that route.
    > You are likely to end up with a lot of other problems, and not
    likely to find anyone
    > willing to help you once you have gone that route.
    >
    > If you do not want to use IE and do not plan to go online, I do not
    see the point of
    > trying to remove IE...just set Firefox as the default browser,
    assuming that it
    > works on your copy of Win95. BTW, Winsock2 and DCOM are independent
    of IE, so they
    > would not be affected by any of the scenarios mentioned.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Henry B" <hambar@Spamlock.microtech.com.au> wrote in message
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote
    > >
    > > > I would be sure to install Winsock2, and DCOM95, at the very
    least.

    > > Will I need them in order to use Firefox for viewing local HTML
    files
    > > only?
    > >
    > > Both appear to be installed now. Is uninstalling IE likely to
    > > uninstall them?
    > >
    > > If it will, and I will need them for offline use with Firefox, how
    > > would you suggest that I go about reinstalling them?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Henry Bartlett
    > > email: hambar at microtech dot com dot au

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > > But the computer I am referring to is never connected to
    > > the internet.
    > >
    > And, hopefully, not networked with any computers that are
    > connected to the Internet...

    No. nor will it ever be.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:26:46 +1000, "Henry Bartlett"
    <hambar@Spamlock.microtech.com.au> wrote:

    >"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> How do you propose to "uninstall IE"?
    >
    >Add/Remove programs, (it's in there).
    >
    >I installed it into a version of Widows that did not have IE. Why
    >can't I install it?

    Henry,

    Have you ever tried?
    There may not be anyone here who can really remember installing IE5.5
    on a Win95 installation that didn't have IE installed (original Win95
    4.00.950 or 4.00.950A?)
    I am afraid I, for one, didn't ever strike that combination.

    If you installed IE4 with the desktop update before IE5.5, then I
    would be surprised if you can uninstall IE completely (I didn't ever
    try)
    Why not just leave it there?

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

Internet Explorer Partition Firefox Windows