control panel problem

yar

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

we had a power outage and when we re booted the computer(win95b) it
had to repair a lot of files not linked to anything. now it seems i
have a problem using control panel add remove i get a error saying
while windows was working with c;\windows\system\ appwiz.cpl. when i
go start window and try to open settings i get an error invalid page
fault in module comctl32.dll at 014f:bfbc0f99. how do i restore what i
need to get this function to work again? thanks in advance!

The 'repair' you mention is a repair of the file system. It makes the file
system valid in terms of its indexes and internal references. It does not
repair or replace damaged or missing files, and in some cases repairing the
file system can require deleting files or parts of files.. If a lot of this
repairing happened then that suggests that a lot of files were damaged, and
your best option might be to re-install Windows. I suspect that as soon as
you fix the control panel problem you will find another and another.

You can restore individual files using procedures mentioned here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605
HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)