laptop purchased at auction...locked with a pswrd

This was a local auction, we were told that it worked. Picked up for only 14
bucks, so thought it was worth a chance. Well, the guy didn't bother to undo
passwords etc...so I can not logon to windows.

Can I run a 95 disk over the whole thing and get in like that?

I know this is a touchy subject, as you don't know who I am, why I want on
the laptop etc...but any help you can offer me that will lead me to some
help for the situation is appreciated.

It's a Compaq Presario 1694

I am needing to find a power supply cord for it too, but don't want to make
that investment if I can't even get into the thing to use it. (I used my
sister's to make sure it even worked, but she wouldn't let me have
hers...LOL)

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

-:¦:- Marlya -:¦:-

"Marlya" <XPNewsgroup(removethis)@thejewelrysolution.com> wrote:

>This was a local auction, we were told that it worked. Picked up for only 14
>bucks, so thought it was worth a chance. Well, the guy didn't bother to undo
>passwords etc...so I can not logon to windows.
>
>Can I run a 95 disk over the whole thing and get in like that?
>
>I know this is a touchy subject, as you don't know who I am, why I want on
>the laptop etc...but any help you can offer me that will lead me to some
>help for the situation is appreciated.
>

>It's a Compaq Presario 1694
>
>I am needing to find a power supply cord for it too, but don't want to make
>that investment if I can't even get into the thing to use it. (I used my
>sister's to make sure it even worked, but she wouldn't let me have
>hers...LOL)
>
>Thank you for any help you can offer me.

If it is just a Windows password then you should be able to click on
"cancel" and it should then load into Windows.

Another option is to enter your own user name in the login box and
then click on OK. It will then prompt you for a password - just press
the Enter key to leave the password blank. That should also get you
into Windows,

If the password is in the BIOS setup (before Windows starts) then that
is a different matter, and will be more complex to get rid of.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,

WoW....now that sounds easy enough.

As soon as I locate a power supply cord, I'll report back how it went.
(anyone know an inexpensive source for them?)

Thanks a bunch!!!

I knew this was the right place to go for help.
--
-:¦:- Marlya -:¦:-