CD-ROM Error with Windows 3.1 Install

Hi all. I know this is the Windows 95 forum but I couldn't find a forum for
Windows 3.1.

I'm having trouble installing Windows 3.1 on a computer that I have
installed Windows 98 on before without problems. Everytime I try to run the
Win 3.1 install I get an error that says the CD-ROM cannot be detected. The
CD-ROM is ok because the Win 98 install worked fine. My guess is that the the
Win 3.1 CD's drivers are not new enough to run the CD-ROM. I had the idea of
going to a used computer store and buying an old enough, generic CD-ROM and
installing it in the computer.

Does anyone have an easier option that doesn't require spending any money?
Thank you very much.

Jeremy
6 answers Last reply
More about error windows install

    "Jeremy B" <Jeremy B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I know this is the Windows 95 forum but I couldn't find a forum
    for
    > Windows 3.1.
    >
    > I'm having trouble installing Windows 3.1 on a computer that I have
    > installed Windows 98 on before without problems. Everytime I try to run
    the
    > Win 3.1 install I get an error that says the CD-ROM cannot be detected.
    The
    > CD-ROM is ok because the Win 98 install worked fine. My guess is that the
    the
    > Win 3.1 CD's drivers are not new enough to run the CD-ROM. I had the idea
    of
    > going to a used computer store and buying an old enough, generic CD-ROM
    and
    > installing it in the computer.
    >
    > Does anyone have an easier option that doesn't require spending any money?
    > Thank you very much.

    This is actually a DOS question, not Windows 3.x or Windows 95. Please post
    your config.sys and autoexec.bat files. You probably need a correct driver
    ([cddriver].sys file) for the cd rom drive.

    You would probably be better off with a current drive with a current driver
    file, since the old ones sometimes used proprietary interfaces, etc.

    Thank you for helping me Kay.

    I looked through the floppy disk that is supposed to fire up the CD-ROM to
    install the OS but didn't find an autoexec.bat or config.sys file. Instead I
    found AUTOEXEC.DEM, AUTOEXEC.STD, CONFIG.DEM and CONFIG.STD. I opened them up
    in notepad and posted the code below.

    AUTOEXEC.DEM:

    REM DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE IN ANYWAY!
    REM This file must remain the way it currently is
    REM in order for the RESTORE program to function properly.

    @ECHO OFF
    CLS
    SET TMP=C:\
    REM SET VVMODE=SGA_2E
    SET EDITOR=TEXTEDIT
    SET PROGX=
    SET VVPAINT=TEMPRA
    SET SOUND=C:\MM16P
    PROMPT $P$G
    PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\MSWORKS;C:\MSMONEY;C:\TEMPRA;C:\TEMPRA\AUD;
    SET TEMP=C:\DOS
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
    SET GALAXY=A220 I5 D1 K2 P330 T6

    CD \DEMO
    KEYBDIS
    DEMO.BAT

    ----------------------------

    AUTOEXEC.STD:

    @ECHO OFF
    PROMPT $P$G
    PATH C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\
    C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE 1024 256
    LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E
    SET WINPMT=[WINDOWS] $P$G
    SET TEMP=C:\PBTOOLS\WINTEMP
    SET DIRCMD=/O
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
    SET GALAXY=A220 I5 D1 K2 P330 T6
    SET SOUND=C:\MMP16P
    WIN/3
    TYPE C:\PBFRONT\TEXT\EXIT.MSG

    --------------------------------

    CONFIG.DEM:

    REM DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE IN ANYWAY!
    REM This file must remain the way it currently is
    REM in order for the RESTORE program to function properly.

    DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM MIN=0 D=64
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\MMP16P\DRIVERS\SGCDU.SYS /D:MSCD0001
    FILES=30
    BUFFERS=20
    STACKS=9,256
    SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:1024 /P

    --------------------------------------

    CONFIG.STD:

    DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM MIN=0 D=64
    FILES=30
    BUFFERS=8
    STACKS=9,256
    FCBS=1,0
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\MOUSE.SYS
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\MMP16P\DRIVERS\SGCDU.SYS /D:MSCD0001

    ---------------------------------

    Is this what you were looking for? Thanks again.

    Jeremy
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Jeremy B wrote:
    > Thank you for helping me Kay.
    >
    > I looked through the floppy disk that is supposed to fire up the CD-ROM to
    > install the OS but didn't find an autoexec.bat or config.sys file. Instead I
    > found AUTOEXEC.DEM, AUTOEXEC.STD, CONFIG.DEM and CONFIG.STD. I opened them up
    > in notepad and posted the code below.
    >
    > AUTOEXEC.DEM:
    >
    > REM DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE IN ANYWAY!
    > REM This file must remain the way it currently is
    > REM in order for the RESTORE program to function properly.
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > CLS
    > SET TMP=C:\
    > REM SET VVMODE=SGA_2E
    > SET EDITOR=TEXTEDIT
    > SET PROGX=
    > SET VVPAINT=TEMPRA
    > SET SOUND=C:\MM16P
    > PROMPT $P$G
    > PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\MSWORKS;C:\MSMONEY;C:\TEMPRA;C:\TEMPRA\AUD;
    > SET TEMP=C:\DOS
    > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
    > SET GALAXY=A220 I5 D1 K2 P330 T6
    >
    > CD \DEMO
    > KEYBDIS
    > DEMO.BAT
    >
    > ----------------------------
    >
    > AUTOEXEC.STD:
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > PROMPT $P$G
    > PATH C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\
    > C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE 1024 256
    > LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E
    > SET WINPMT=[WINDOWS] $P$G
    > SET TEMP=C:\PBTOOLS\WINTEMP
    > SET DIRCMD=/O
    > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
    > SET GALAXY=A220 I5 D1 K2 P330 T6
    > SET SOUND=C:\MMP16P
    > WIN/3
    > TYPE C:\PBFRONT\TEXT\EXIT.MSG
    >
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > CONFIG.DEM:
    >
    > REM DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE IN ANYWAY!
    > REM This file must remain the way it currently is
    > REM in order for the RESTORE program to function properly.
    >
    > DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    > DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM MIN=0 D=64
    > DOS=HIGH,UMB
    > DEVICEHIGH=C:\MMP16P\DRIVERS\SGCDU.SYS /D:MSCD0001
    > FILES=30
    > BUFFERS=20
    > STACKS=9,256
    > SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:1024 /P
    >
    > --------------------------------------
    >
    > CONFIG.STD:
    >
    > DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    > DOS=HIGH,UMB
    > DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM MIN=0 D=64
    > FILES=30
    > BUFFERS=8
    > STACKS=9,256
    > FCBS=1,0
    > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\MOUSE.SYS
    > DEVICEHIGH=C:\MMP16P\DRIVERS\SGCDU.SYS /D:MSCD0001
    >
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > Is this what you were looking for? Thanks again.
    >
    > Jeremy

    The *.std versions contain commands for establishing CD-ROM operation
    (the commands that include "SGCDU.SYS" and "MSCDEX.EXE"). Furthermore,
    the autoexec.std contains a command that would run Windows. The two
    files appear to be written for instalation on the hard drive so that
    they will be executed while booting Windows from the hard drive.

    What software is available when you get boot from the CD-ROM drive
    instalation floppy? Idealy it should include an installer that should
    establish CD-ROM capabilities on a hard drive containing DOS system
    files or the Windows 95 versions of DOS's startup files.

    Check http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm for startup floppy images that
    include support for many CD-ROM readers. These disks should give you the
    ability to run the installation software on the Windows distribution CD.
    If they aren't compatable with the CD-ROM drive you own you can use the
    floppy that came with your reader to obtain the SGCDU.SYS file and
    generate a startup floppy substituting that file for the driver on the
    bootdisk.com image (may need to change that "DEVICEHIGH...D:MSCD0001"
    line to reflect the different file name).

    See "HOW TO MAKE A BOOTDISK FOR YOUR PC" at
    http://bootdisk.com/readme.htm#cdromdos.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:24:02 -0700, "Jeremy B" <Jeremy

    >Hi all. I know this is the Windows 95 forum but I couldn't find a forum for
    >Windows 3.1.

    >I'm having trouble installing Windows 3.1 on a computer that I have
    >installed Windows 98 on before without problems. Everytime I try to run the
    >Win 3.1 install I get an error that says the CD-ROM cannot be detected. The
    >CD-ROM is ok because the Win 98 install worked fine. My guess is that the the
    >Win 3.1 CD's drivers are not new enough to run the CD-ROM.

    Yep. Unlike Win9x, Win3.yuk really does run on top of DOS, though it
    takes over some memory management etc. but it still relies on DOS for
    CD-ROM support. You can use the Win98 OakCDROM.sys driver (from the
    Windows\Command\EBD folder) to drive the CD, as follows...

    In C:\CONFIG.SYS ...

    DeviceHigh=C:\Path\To\OakCDROM.sys /D:CD1

    In C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT ...

    LH MSCDEx /D:CD1

    These drivers extend BIOS and DOS, respectively, to support the CD-ROM
    drive, and Windows 3.1 inherits that when it runs.

    BTW: The DOS that Win3.yuk runs on has to be MS-DOS 5 through 6.22;
    you can't install and run Windows 3.xx on the DOS mode from a Win9x.

    >...buying an old enough, generic CD-ROM and installing it in the computer.

    That's a CWOT. Win3.yuk never did figure out what a CD-ROM was, no
    matter how old a CD-ROM drive you throw at it :-)

    >Does anyone have an easier option that doesn't require spending any money?

    Yep...

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:
    > Yep. Unlike Win9x, Win3.yuk really does run on top of DOS, though it
    > takes over some memory management etc. but it still relies on DOS for
    > CD-ROM support. You can use the Win98 OakCDROM.sys driver (from the
    > Windows\Command\EBD folder) to drive the CD, as follows...
    >
    > In C:\CONFIG.SYS ...
    >
    > DeviceHigh=C:\Path\To\OakCDROM.sys /D:CD1
    >
    > In C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT ...
    >
    > LH MSCDEx /D:CD1
    >
    > These drivers extend BIOS and DOS, respectively, to support the CD-ROM
    > drive, and Windows 3.1 inherits that when it runs.
    >
    > BTW: The DOS that Win3.yuk runs on has to be MS-DOS 5 through 6.22;
    > you can't install and run Windows 3.xx on the DOS mode from a Win9x.

    Ok thanks for the info. I'm confused about a few things though.

    1. For getting the oakcdrom.sys driver, where is the "Windows\Command\EBD
    folder?" I went to C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND on my Windows 98SE system and couldn't
    find the EBD folder. However, on my Win98SE book disk I found a file named
    oakcdrom.sys. Will this one work?

    2. In the part where you tell me what files to alter you wrote "In
    C:\CONFIG.SYS ..." and "In C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT ..." But their are no files on the
    C: drive yet. Could you explain that more?

    3. Also, I don't actually have a config.sys or a autoexec.bat file anywhere.
    The only files that come close are the AUTOEXEC.DEM, AUTOEXEC.STD, CONFIG.DEM
    and CONFIG.STD files that are on the floppy disk that fires up the CD-ROM. I
    have the code from those files posted in my 2nd post above and those files do
    contain code similar to what you wrote in your post (eg
    "DeviceHigh=C:\Path\To\OakCDROM.sys /D:CD1"). Should I just relpace the code
    in those files on the Win 3.1 disk with your code?

    4. I noticed that for the autoexec.bat file you said I should change the
    code to "LH MSCDEx /D:CD1." Are you sure that your code is correct? Looking
    at the code in the AUTOEXEC.STD file posted above there's a line that reads
    "LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E." Are you sure that your code
    shouldn't read something more like that?

    Thanks you very much for your help.

    Jeremy
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Jeremy B wrote:
    > "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:
    >
    >>Yep. Unlike Win9x, Win3.yuk really does run on top of DOS, though it
    >>takes over some memory management etc. but it still relies on DOS for
    >>CD-ROM support. You can use the Win98 OakCDROM.sys driver (from the
    >>Windows\Command\EBD folder) to drive the CD, as follows...
    >>
    >>In C:\CONFIG.SYS ...
    >>
    >>DeviceHigh=C:\Path\To\OakCDROM.sys /D:CD1
    >>
    >>In C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT ...
    >>
    >>LH MSCDEx /D:CD1
    >>
    >>These drivers extend BIOS and DOS, respectively, to support the CD-ROM
    >>drive, and Windows 3.1 inherits that when it runs.
    >>
    >>BTW: The DOS that Win3.yuk runs on has to be MS-DOS 5 through 6.22;
    >>you can't install and run Windows 3.xx on the DOS mode from a Win9x.
    >>

    > Ok thanks for the info. I'm confused about a few things though.
    >
    > 1. For getting the oakcdrom.sys driver, where is the "Windows\Command\EBD
    > folder?" I went to C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND on my Windows 98SE system and couldn't
    > find the EBD folder. However, on my Win98SE book disk I found a file named
    > oakcdrom.sys. Will this one work?
    >
    > 2. In the part where you tell me what files to alter you wrote "In
    > C:\CONFIG.SYS ..." and "In C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT ..." But their are no files on the
    > C: drive yet. Could you explain that more?
    >
    > 3. Also, I don't actually have a config.sys or a autoexec.bat file anywhere.
    > The only files that come close are the AUTOEXEC.DEM, AUTOEXEC.STD, CONFIG.DEM
    > and CONFIG.STD files that are on the floppy disk that fires up the CD-ROM. I
    > have the code from those files posted in my 2nd post above and those files do
    > contain code similar to what you wrote in your post (eg
    > "DeviceHigh=C:\Path\To\OakCDROM.sys /D:CD1"). Should I just relpace the code
    > in those files on the Win 3.1 disk with your code?
    >
    > 4. I noticed that for the autoexec.bat file you said I should change the
    > code to "LH MSCDEx /D:CD1." Are you sure that your code is correct? Looking
    > at the code in the AUTOEXEC.STD file posted above there's a line that reads
    > "LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E." Are you sure that your code
    > shouldn't read something more like that?
    >
    > Thanks you very much for your help.
    >
    > Jeremy

    Since you will be loading Windows in the equivlent of "DOS Mode" you
    WILL need to load drivers to access the instalation files on removable
    optical media like a Cd-ROM. These drivers are contained in a *.sys file
    AND mscdex.exe. Many CD and DVD drives can be operated READ ONLY with
    oakcdrom.sys, but a few might need a *.sys file from the drive
    manufacturer. The *.sys file needs to be loaded by config.sys. the
    mscdex.exe needs to be run by autoexec.bat.

    Let's break down the commands related to the CD-ROM drive:

    In config.sys "DEVICEHIGH" loads a device driver. The driver in the high
    Intel 80286 compatable high memory area if this area has already been
    enabled by other config.sys commands AND not already occupied by the
    operating system or previously loaded drivers. The driver will load to
    the lower address "conventional memory" if space in the high memory area
    isn't available.

    The "C:\PATH\TO\" portion describes the path where "OakCDROM.SYS" is
    located. The example is just a made up folder/directory path. You might
    prefer putting OakCDROM.SYS in a direcory named "drivers", but the
    folder name isn't important as long as it describes the path you copied
    the OakCDROM.SYS file to.

    "OakCDROM.SYS" is, of course the name of the driver file.

    The "/D:CD1" gives the drive a name so that the MSCDEX.EXE command knows
    which one to attach to.

    In autoexec.bat "LoadHigh" or the shorter "LH" loads a file into the
    Intel 80286 compatable high memory if free and made available by the
    HIMEM.SYS line, to conventional memory if high memory space is not
    available.

    Then you have the file path and file name for the MS CD-ROM Extension.
    Again the actual path isn't important as long as it actually describes
    where you have copied the mscdex.exe file to.

    The "/D:MSCD001" is the reference to the device to use the extensions
    with. The portion after the colon should match the device reference used
    when you loaded the *.sys file. Note that "/D:CD1" in config.sys WITH
    "/D:MSCD001" in autoexec would NOT work, the parts after the colon MUST
    be identical.

    The "/M:30" portion sets the quantity of file buffers available for the
    CD drive.

    While the on disk help lists the "/E' portion, it doesn't indicate its
    function. Doesn't list what "/K" "/S" or "/V" stand for either. For some
    other commands "/V" generates a "verbose" more detailed description of
    what the command is doing during the boot sequence.

    If you add " /L:R" you can override the default assignment of the CD-ROM
    to the next available letter after the hard drive partition(s). By
    assigning a higher letter you can avoid the tendancy of CD useing
    applications to malfunction after the addition of a second hard drive.
    Establishing this high drive letter early allows it to remain unchanged.

Computers CD-Rom Microsoft Windows