Best way to apply AS5?

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I've read the AS5 site and a few others and I just want to make sure I get the most out of it. I've basically read two ways of applying it.

One put a small amount (smaller than a bb) in the center of the cpu then put the heatsink on and the pressure of screwing down the heatsink will spread the thermal paste out evenly (or close to evenly).

Two put a small amount (same size) in the center of the cpu then spread it out evenly using a flat edge or finger (with rubber glove) then when it is evenly around the center at least then attache the heatsink.

So I'm wondering which you guys think is best, or if there are other more optimal ways of doing it

mpjesse

Splendid
The first method will not spread the AS across the entire die very well.

The best way is to use a razor blade and spread the least amount of paste as you can across the CPU die- less is better. You can also use a flathead screw driver with a somewhat diminished result.

-mpjesse

endyen

Splendid
Use the second method, but to the hs base. Use a straight udge to remove as much as possible (this step fills small holes in the hs base). Then use a small dab on the chip, to be spred by securing the hsf.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Personally I prefer a credit card over a razor blade for the simple reason that if I sneeze or something and slip, I'm 1) not going to gouge the CPU, and 2) not going to stab myself. :D

But hey, to each their own. I'd say spread it yourself a bit at least, because yeah, I don't really trust it to be an even spread just by clamping down the proc. Just don't spread it with a bare finger. Oils=bad.

But I think how much to actually use also depends a lot on the quality of the finish of the CPU and heatsink, as well as the amount of surface area to cover. Lapping works wonders. And when you spread it around yourself, you can easily remove excess TIM. Where as when you squish down the HSF to spread it, how do you know how much excess you have?

Yar. Thar be my two dabloons, matey. Yo ho ho and a tube of AS5!