Retard 'friend' knows nothing about overclocking

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I remember vaguely from my high school years, a day when I was examining my friend's computer to find that it could hold 4GB of RAM (which was once OMFG). I pushed forward the idea that it could hold that, but was rebuked by a kid who knew nothing about computers. He claimed that putting too much RAM in a computer would overclock the processor and destroy the computer. Didn't even know the definition of overclock. Sorry, I'm taking a trip down memory lane, need to lay off the caffiene and take some fever medicine.

I was once yelled at by a superior at work for using windows explorer instead of corel wordperfect to locate a .PDF file. using the open menu in corelwordperfect was the 'safe' way to open adobe acrobat files and my usage of windows explorer was the 'manual' way - which jeopardized the server and could screw it up!!

Anyone here have any stupid quotes from people who don't know about computers, namely overclocking?

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Not to do with overclocking, but two years ago my mate's dad wouldn't let us give him a 256MB stick of RAM to put in his computer because he told us it could have a virus on it.
hahahahaha :D

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
most common one i hate hearing

"my graphics card is better cause mine has 256 of RAM"

you dont get that much anymore cause most gfx are 256.

or something my friend asked me the other day

"What is a database?" <- i laughed then realized she was serious 8O

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I was taking a microsoft course several years back and in the front of my class sat two older ladies. The Teacher said ok, everybody take your mouse and move your pointer ... by that time, the two ladies raised their hands in a panic and said, what's a mouse?

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Here at work we have a very import upper escelon individual who makes decisions for us. He should be tech saavy given his position and title (which shall remain nameless)!

So we have a robust app on a server with a fair amount of user activity that's choking the server. Looking at the performance data it's easy to see that the CPU is maxed to 100% all of the time. We offer up a solution involving a new server since the old server is too old for a decent CPU upgrade. He asks why we just can't add another hard drive instead! 8O

unreal111

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
hehe

long ago when cd-rom were new, this lady emailed to microsoft asking them to send her "... the new cup holder which is built inside the computer.." << well cd tray does look like a cub holder.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ne1 have friends who lie about specs in there comp?... my friend said he had a 3.4 with a 9800xt (before 6800 came out) 3 gigs of memory and said he got it all for 500 bux... i looked in his comp, the video card was passivly cooled making me believe it was a 9600 low end, he had 1 memory stick in and proc i couldnt tell... so one night at a lan he fell asleep so i checked out his specs, it was a 2.6 oc'd to 2.8, 512 memory and a 9600se... the next day i confronted him about it and he said they "gave him special models that werent released so windows didnt know what they were and gave bs names" i simply laughed :roll:

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Yeah, after 15 months I've just gotten over that same situation. But instead, it wasn't a server it was actually a graphic-intensive media machine. Well that's what it was supposed to be.
And instead, he said: "We can put more memory in it". :x

It had 256MB SDRAM and 256 is all the motherboard could take.

People in too higher places who know too much about what they shouldn't know about.

mfurse

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I was trying to sell my Corsair PC4000 TwinX kit on a university bulletin board when I guy who's handle is "own3d" decided to put some sarcastic and unfounded comments around my post saying it is too expensive, and that lower voltages give better overclocks...fool. I didn't bother to engage him, people like that aren't worth my time!

Read own3d's brilliant advice here:
http://www.uwesu.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9450&highlight=corsair :twisted:

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I think i can remember of a guy that tried to fit gf7800gtx in agp slot...Well aparently there's some differrence in the interface even visually so he tried to fix the problems by removing some pins with scisors... idiot...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Not to do with overclocking, but two years ago my mate's dad wouldn't let us give him a 256MB stick of RAM to put in his computer because he told us it could have a virus on it.
hahahahaha :D
thats is funny hash i mean how can ram when it's turned off have a virus it's like my uncle wouldnt let me change his ram becuase he thought i would erase windows!

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Working once in the CompUSA upgrades dept a customer came up to me with a 10 pack of BLACK floppies and asked me:

"I just wanted to make sure these are going to work in my computer?"
"My computer is white..."

8O

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I'm just glad i'm not astmatic when reading threads like this one... I just turned blue(from lack of oxygen) last night when reading the comment(and writing some) in the thred"very old computer running"

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
"I'm just glad i'm not astmatic when reading threads like this one... I just turned blue(from lack of oxygen) last night when reading the comment(and writing some) in the thred"very old computer running"

thats from a diff thread?

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
This is why people are turning to Dell, despite the bloatware and crappy tech-support. You SHOULDN'T have to know the intricasies of computer hardware to get it to work, any more than you need to know how a CRT works to watch TV.

BUT, so long as I'm here :)

My father once spent 20 minutes trying to access his AOL account, screaming all the while how "those damned games you kids play" had ruined the machine. Turns out he had the Caps Lock key on :)

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
detson lol thats good once my dad blamed my pc crash on me and my brother playin pc games lol he felt so bad blamin us we went to toy's r us and bought more ps1 games lol

ww1065

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
hehe

long ago when cd-rom were new, this lady emailed to microsoft asking them to send her "... the new cup holder which is built inside the computer.." << well cd tray does look like a cub holder.

I'm upset, my cupholder keeps closing at random & damaging the styrofoam cups I use. . .

I made a friend & coworker in a government office panic one day. The commander's secretary just had a mouse installed on her computer. My friend was given the additional duty of being responsible for the computers in the building.

She was going to back out of a process using the escape key. I told her to be careful as that might make the mouse try to run off the desk. I am embarrassed at how long it took me to assure, reassure (etc. . .) her that I was only pulling her leg. :lol:

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
More work related than computer related, but we have to turn off our radios and unplug things (seriously) where I work, whenever there's an electrical storm.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Many many years ago, before IBM begat the PC, I was working on an IBM midrange system (new at that time) called a S/34. IBM just released a new OS update (I think it was version 2) that included a lot of printer enhancements (including the ability to have spools to more than one printer-remember this was a long time ago).

In those days, when you needed to change from 6 lines per inch to 8 lines per inch, the system stopped (when that job reached the top of the spool) and asked the operator to flip the switch.

In the afternoons we printed letters to customers and vendors. To print letters we had to stop the printer, take off the 48char print band and put on a slower 96char print band (with lower case). The problem was that the system would ask us to change the print band when the job entered the spool, instead of waiting for it to reach the top.

When I called IBM, and was escalated to the PSR support desk, the PSR (higher tech than a system engineer) asked me why I thought it should wait to request the band change and could I show him the paragraph in the manual that said it would work that way.

:roll: