Something is really messed up.

computer

Distinguished
May 12, 2003

When I started my computer one day (Windows 95), after I had finished
clreaing old Word Documents, it would start as usual and then the black
screen would come up, saying Starting Windows 95.... and right under it it
says Type the name of the Command Interpreter (eg windows/command.com) I can
now not start my computer and I don't know what to do. All my important old
information was on it. I have all the disks from the 95 box. What can I do?
Please help a.s.a.p

Bart

Op Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:22:02 -0700 schreef "COmPuter"
<COmPuter@discussions.microsoft.com>:

>When I started my computer one day (Windows 95), after I had finished
>clreaing old Word Documents, it would start as usual and then the black
>screen would come up, saying Starting Windows 95.... and right under it it
>says Type the name of the Command Interpreter (eg windows/command.com) I can
>now not start my computer and I don't know what to do. All my important old
>information was on it. I have all the disks from the 95 box. What can I do?
>Please help a.s.a.p
First boot from a bootfloppy and after booting, at the A:\> prompt
type

dir c:\
and press the Enter-key

Report back what it says.

If you do not have a boot-disk, download one at
http://www.bootdisk.com

Bart

--
Bart Broersma
broersma.juda_ANTISPAM_@tiscali.nl

If you want to get to your documents etc so that you can copy them to some
safe place, boot to a DOS boot disk and copy the files using DOS commands.

The message is telling you that the file COMMAND.COM cannot be located or is
damaged or is not compatible (or possibly the same sort of problem in
MSDOS.SYS).

Try typing COMMAND.COM and see if it will load and execute.

You could boot to DOS and look for COMMAND.COM and if it's missing replace
it from the W95 installation CD.

Otherwise boot to a DOS floppy and do SYS C: at the prompt. Be sure that
you are using the correct version of DOS for your machine before trying this
command.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)