Upgrading to Windows 98 from Windows 95

My mom has a Compaq Presario with Windows 95. I bought her a new printer and
tried to install it - but all new printers are only compatable with Win 98
and above. Her computer can only handle a small upgrade (she has 48 mb -
WITH 84% free). Will I encounter many problems installing the 98 software,
and how can I get Windows 98, since it's not available through Microsoft
anymore? I also don't think she's capable of much more technology, or I'd
buy her a new computer too. Please help...thanks!
--
Peggy M.
1 answer Last reply

    It is an easy upgrade, but you will probably have to try eBay or one
    of the large online stores to buy a copy.

    Here's some info about the various types of W98SE CDs: (from Ron
    Badour)

    RETAIL FULL INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
    can install it to a blank hard drive.

    RETAIL UPGRADE INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or
    you can install it to a blank hard drive; however, when installing to
    a blank drive, install will ask to see the qualifying system (i.e.,
    W95) disk(s).

    OEM FULL INSTALL. This SE CD is designed to be installed to a blank
    hard drive; however, there is a good possibility that you can trick it
    into upgrading. For info, go to:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html Be aware that if you
    buy an OEM disk, it might be customized for installation on a
    particular computer; however, this will probably be primarily with a
    used disk.

    UPDATE CD: This CD will only update a functioning copy of W98 to
    W98SE. When MS sold them, they were $20 and came with a ProductKey.
    Some venders were selling them and advising customers to use the W98
    ProductKey which may or may not work--don't get stung. This outfit is
    selling them for $35:
    http://www.micronetxp.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AB&Product_Code=WIN98SE&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

    RECOVERY CD: Some companies will brand an OEM CD and call it a
    recovery CD. You should avoid these unless it is the exact recovery CD
    you are looking for. Many recovery CDs will only install on the
    equipment they were intended for.

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:28:06 -0700, "Peggy M." <irisheyes00@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >My mom has a Compaq Presario with Windows 95. I bought her a new printer and
    >tried to install it - but all new printers are only compatable with Win 98
    >and above. Her computer can only handle a small upgrade (she has 48 mb -
    >WITH 84% free). Will I encounter many problems installing the 98 software,
    >and how can I get Windows 98, since it's not available through Microsoft
    >anymore? I also don't think she's capable of much more technology, or I'd
    >buy her a new computer too. Please help...thanks!

Windows 98 Windows 95 Microsoft Windows