  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 22, 2005 12:28:06 AM

My mom has a Compaq Presario with Windows 95. I bought her a new printer and
tried to install it - but all new printers are only compatable with Win 98
and above. Her computer can only handle a small upgrade (she has 48 mb -
WITH 84% free). Will I encounter many problems installing the 98 software,
and how can I get Windows 98, since it's not available through Microsoft
anymore? I also don't think she's capable of much more technology, or I'd
buy her a new computer too. Please help...thanks!
--
Peggy M.

More about : upgrading windows windows

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:49:37 PM

It is an easy upgrade, but you will probably have to try eBay or one
of the large online stores to buy a copy.

Here's some info about the various types of W98SE CDs: (from Ron
Badour)

RETAIL FULL INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
can install it to a blank hard drive.

RETAIL UPGRADE INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or
you can install it to a blank hard drive; however, when installing to
a blank drive, install will ask to see the qualifying system (i.e.,
W95) disk(s).

OEM FULL INSTALL. This SE CD is designed to be installed to a blank
hard drive; however, there is a good possibility that you can trick it
into upgrading. For info, go to:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html Be aware that if you
buy an OEM disk, it might be customized for installation on a
particular computer; however, this will probably be primarily with a
used disk.

UPDATE CD: This CD will only update a functioning copy of W98 to
W98SE. When MS sold them, they were $20 and came with a ProductKey.
Some venders were selling them and advising customers to use the W98
ProductKey which may or may not work--don't get stung. This outfit is
selling them for $35:
http://www.micronetxp.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen...

RECOVERY CD: Some companies will brand an OEM CD and call it a
recovery CD. You should avoid these unless it is the exact recovery CD
you are looking for. Many recovery CDs will only install on the
equipment they were intended for.

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

!