Help Please

My Windows 95 has taken a turn for the worst - I think. I am hoping it os not
too bad. I started my computer, and it said "Missing Operating System". I am
trying to save all the files on my computer (10 years of hard work), and when
I try to re-install W95, it always freezes. Can some one please please help
me? I would instal Windows 98, I have the Cd, I just don't know if I can. Can
someone help me as soon as possible? Thanks

Adrian
2 answers Last reply
More about help please

    Op Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:46:03 -0700 schreef "COmPuter"
    <COmPuter@discussions.microsoft.com>:

    >My Windows 95 has taken a turn for the worst - I think. I am hoping it os not
    >too bad. I started my computer, and it said "Missing Operating System".

    This sounds to me like a failing harddisk.
    While booting does your computer (BIOS) report a harddrive ?
    Can you boot from a floppy (see my post to you in your previous
    thread: "something is really messed up") ?

    > I am trying to save all the files on my computer (10 years of hard work),

    Never did a backup then ... ?
    We all know we have to do that, but how many of us actually do ? (Well
    I do, since I experienced a harddisk dying on me)

    Report back what your BIOS reposrt while booting.

    Bart

    --
    Bart Broersma
    broersma.juda_ANTISPAM_@tiscali.nl

    If your first priority is to save your files then boot to a DOS floppy and
    copy the files off the hard disk, either to a new hard disk or to floppy.
    Or, buy a new hard disk, install it as master with the old one as slave,
    install Windows on the new disk and copy everything off the old one.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "COmPuter" <COmPuter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Windows 95 has taken a turn for the worst - I think. I am hoping it os
    > not
    > too bad. I started my computer, and it said "Missing Operating System". I
    > am
    > trying to save all the files on my computer (10 years of hard work), and
    > when
    > I try to re-install W95, it always freezes. Can some one please please
    > help
    > me? I would instal Windows 98, I have the Cd, I just don't know if I can.
    > Can
    > someone help me as soon as possible? Thanks
    >
    > Adrian

Computers Windows 95 Windows