Install Shield at Start up

At start up the install shield applet opens and says to wait while it builds
a data base for an application. When it finishes, Netscape v. 4 appears, and
says to insert disk 2 into cd drive (I do not have such a disk). I click to
cancel the operation, and then my desktop finishes loading, and everything is
okay. It just started doing that for no apparent reason. I use IE 5.0, and
never have used Netscape for my browser. I tried uninstalling Netscape from
control panel/add-remove programs, and thought that would resolve the issue.
But no such luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

What is in your startup group? Since you are using Win95, you need to install a
third-party free utility to look at the startup axis. Either utility on htis page
will do.....install one, then post back with what is shown in your startup
locations:
http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

I prefer the second utility on that page....Startup Manager (Startman.exe)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"chip618" <chip618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At start up the install shield applet opens and says to wait while it builds
> a data base for an application. When it finishes, Netscape v. 4 appears, and
> says to insert disk 2 into cd drive (I do not have such a disk). I click to
> cancel the operation, and then my desktop finishes loading, and everything is
> okay. It just started doing that for no apparent reason. I use IE 5.0, and
> never have used Netscape for my browser. I tried uninstalling Netscape from
> control panel/add-remove programs, and thought that would resolve the issue.
> But no such luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I will have to check my other pc that is having the problems with startup as
to the items listed in the startup group, and will get back with you if the
recommended utility will remedy the issue. Thx for your help.
Chip618

"glee" wrote:

> What is in your startup group? Since you are using Win95, you need to install a
> third-party free utility to look at the startup axis. Either utility on htis page
> will do.....install one, then post back with what is shown in your startup
> locations:
> http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/
>
> I prefer the second utility on that page....Startup Manager (Startman.exe)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "chip618" <chip618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > At start up the install shield applet opens and says to wait while it builds
> > a data base for an application. When it finishes, Netscape v. 4 appears, and
> > says to insert disk 2 into cd drive (I do not have such a disk). I click to
> > cancel the operation, and then my desktop finishes loading, and everything is
> > okay. It just started doing that for no apparent reason. I use IE 5.0, and
> > never have used Netscape for my browser. I tried uninstalling Netscape from
> > control panel/add-remove programs, and thought that would resolve the issue.
> > But no such luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The Startman.exe utility worked perfectly! Thx again for you help. -:)

"glee" wrote:

> What is in your startup group? Since you are using Win95, you need to install a
> third-party free utility to look at the startup axis. Either utility on htis page
> will do.....install one, then post back with what is shown in your startup
> locations:
> http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/
>
> I prefer the second utility on that page....Startup Manager (Startman.exe)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "chip618" <chip618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > At start up the install shield applet opens and says to wait while it builds
> > a data base for an application. When it finishes, Netscape v. 4 appears, and
> > says to insert disk 2 into cd drive (I do not have such a disk). I click to
> > cancel the operation, and then my desktop finishes loading, and everything is
> > okay. It just started doing that for no apparent reason. I use IE 5.0, and
> > never have used Netscape for my browser. I tried uninstalling Netscape from
> > control panel/add-remove programs, and thought that would resolve the issue.
> > But no such luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Enquiring minds want to know!
What was the guilty startup item?
Did you use Startman to disable, or delete, it?
--

> The Startman.exe utility worked perfectly! Thx again for you help. -:)
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > What is in your startup group? Since you are using Win95, you need to install a
> > third-party free utility to look at the startup axis. Either utility on htis
page
> > will do.....install one, then post back with what is shown in your startup
> > locations:
> > http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/
> >
> > I prefer the second utility on that page....Startup Manager (Startman.exe)
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "chip618" <chip618@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > At start up the install shield applet opens and says to wait while it builds
> > > a data base for an application. When it finishes, Netscape v. 4 appears, and
> > > says to insert disk 2 into cd drive (I do not have such a disk). I click to
> > > cancel the operation, and then my desktop finishes loading, and everything is
> > > okay. It just started doing that for no apparent reason. I use IE 5.0, and
> > > never have used Netscape for my browser. I tried uninstalling Netscape from
> > > control panel/add-remove programs, and thought that would resolve the issue.
> > > But no such luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, us minds do want to know... lol, lol.
The culprit startup item was Nav -- Navigator -- figures, huh?! Also, I
totally deleted the d___ item!

Thx again, Glen-- A+ advice...
chip618