Performance Hit with ATI on Non ATI chipset?

Wapas

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I am wondering:
Does a single x1900 crossfire version work on an SLI board?
Is there a performance Hit this way?
Does the X1900 crossfire version work best on the ATI based boards, not asking about 2 cards, just the crossfire version ..
does the intel 975x chipset run the nVidia cards too? in SLI mode? Does the X1900 crossfire version run as well on the 975x as the ATI 200 chipset?
Thanks, this stuff is killng me wondering and stressing about what hardware to get.
Thanks Everyone!

lordroddington

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
intel 975x does not support sli, but it would run one nvidia card just fine

but why would you buy a crossfire master card and an nvidia motherboard? if you're not going to be running crossfire, why get the crossfire edition?

but why would you buy a crossfire master card and an nvidia motherboard? if you're not going to be running crossfire, why get the crossfire edition?

Well they are cheaper and more plentiful for some retailers.

It also gives you the FUTURE option when you can replace your MoBo. You might find the SLi board with the integrated and add-on features you need regardless of the SLi component itself.

Many MoBo mfr only put some high end features, like nV's Sata features and a seperate SATA controller chip, on their high end boards.

I was initially considering an nV Ultra board for that very reason, however I'm putting off my upgrade cycle for as long as possible until Oblivion comes out, so now I might pick something different.

Is it out for PC next month? Or just Xbox360?

Yep come out for PC and Xbox at same time, which is March 20th unfortunately! :evil:

As much as I've wanted to upgrade, there is no current game that really makes me, and the last thing i want to do is buy one card only to find out it performs better on the other. Also maybe we'll hear more M2 news by then and I can decide if those M2 compatible boards are worthwhile, as I suspect AMD64X2 will be my CPU of choice.

I think you and I both espouse the 'upgrade when the games you play are unplayable or the new game you want is at least benchmarked before upgrading'. It makes alot of sense to me still, even with the gov't $400 largess burning a hole in my pocket :mrgreen:

good points, the ati southbridge is pretty out of date at this point isn't it? high-end nforce4 motherboards have a lot of features typically.

Yeah but the ULi southbridge is better than both. And with those AsRock boards having M2 suppot, you'd have a hard time convincing me to buy something else right now.